What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Group G: Belgium, Panama, England, Tunisia

Jack_Napier

Staff member
English fans celebrating a win over Panama like they won the world cup.
I think they have cause to celebrate a 6-1 win to be fair with some lovely football played. Can only beat what’s put infront of you.

Smack

Coach
I get what your saying and I’m sure some are over reacting but getting out of the group stages is akin to them winning something.

Not this group though, it's expected considering the comparison. 2nd round yes, go nuts, but considering their track record of underachieving (bar the germany game)..

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Not this group though, it's expected considering the comparison. 2nd round yes, go nuts, but considering their track record of underachieving (bar the germany game)..

I’d be more pleased as an England fan with the style of play. Again granted it’s only Panama but they still pumped them. Lovely set piece set up for stones second. Have to see how it fares against the better teams

Smack

Coach
I’d be more pleased as an England fan with the style of play. Again granted it’s only Panama but they still pumped them. Lovely set piece set up for stones second. Have to see how it fares against the better teams

Unlucky that Belgium/England is being played under these circumstances, I think both sides will take it easy as Japan/Senegal/Colombia won't make a difference as both should get passed all of them

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Unlucky that Belgium/England is being played under these circumstances, I think both sides will take it easy as Japan/Senegal/Colombia won't make a difference as both should get passed all of them
YeH true, tho I think the speed at which Senegal and Colombia hit on the counter will worry the English. Getting at that back 3, particularly the way Colombia can do it with Quintero, James and Cuadrado I think will have the English playing a little cautious.

Pommy

Coach
Would be like United celebrating a win against Macclesfield

Never had you down as being the fun police.

It’s a weekend in summer with England playing. Everyone will have been on it since about 10am and it’s the one time everyone gets to support the same team.
Sure it’s over the top but that’s every game in a tournament, doesn’t matter if it’s Faroe island or Argentina people go nuts just for the sake of going nuts.

Smack

Coach
Never had you down as being the fun police.

It’s a weekend in summer with England playing. Everyone will have been on it since about 10am and it’s the one time everyone gets to support the same team.
Sure it’s over the top but that’s every game in a tournament, doesn’t matter if it’s Faroe island or Argentina people go nuts just for the sake of going nuts.

I see your point

Tommy Smith

Referee
England v Belgium is shaping up as the most farcical contest you'll likely ever see at a World Cup.

Both teams will be desperate to finish 2nd...

Screenshot_20180628-084757.jpg

It'd be in typical England fashion for a 6-1 thumping to have cost us a deep run at a World Cup.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I have no doubt the Belgians will try much harder to lose. The rnd of 16 & semi final are both in Moscow for 2nd place too - where Belgium are based.

They'll do everything bar walk the ball into the net.

We've seen teams purposely play out a stalemate to both progress; but desperation to lose?

It's going to be a curiously odd game to watch.

Pommy

Coach
I have no doubt the Belgians will try much harder to lose. The rnd of 16 & semi final are both in Moscow for 2nd place too - where Belgium are based.

They'll do everything bar walk the ball into the net.

We've seen teams purposely play out a stalemate to both progress; but desperation to lose?

It's going to be a curiously odd game to watch.

We just need a draw and to kick a few lumps out of people.

Last edited:

DC80

Juniors
England may well have just hit the jackpot with that defeat.

Beat Colombia, it’s either Sweden or the Swiss standing in the way of the semi-final.

Get there, and bar Spain (who are not what they were) and there is a golden chance of a final.

Never seen a draw so lopsided like this before. What the Belgians were playing at celebrating the win I have no idea. Their odds of winning this have just lengthened.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
some of those shots at goal from the poms looked like they were token efforts, made it look a bit obvious

DC80

Juniors
some of those shots at goal from the poms looked like they were token efforts, made it look a bit obvious

This is one reason why Kane didn't play. When England were losing the camera panned over to him sat on the bench and he was doing something with his boots which suggested he was about to come on.... Southgate was thinking to himself ‘with his appetite for goals (+ golden boot) there’s no way I can trust him to follow the gameplan’.

Publicly Southgate has to say “disappointed to lose” etc. but inside he will be thinking ‘this is on’.

Vozzy

Juniors
Why would England not prefer playing against Japan. Columbia will probably beat England now.