What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guess what..? Barrett is back

sleepy_jackson

Juniors
Sorry i wasn't more precise fellas. Mundine showed no respect when he made the comment that he was the worlds best 5/8 when the dragons were deciding who would play 5/8, implicitly this was showing disrespect towards baz. I'm not saying mundine wasnt a match winner either, he was brilliant at times, he got us into the grand final in 1999 but he also lost us the grand final (neglecting his support and deciding to try and crash over the line then losing the ball). He was similar to tingha, brilliant at times but very stupid other times. Back to the topic of Baz, he is a very good footballer and he is an asset to any team, when he is on the field he contributes a lot and isnt afraid to get his hands dirty in defence even if he is carrying injuries, which is more than a lot of other halves do defensively in games. This is only my opinion, i'm open to the opinions of others also so keep em coming.

Godz Illa

Coach
sleepy_jackson said:
he got us into the grand final in 1999 but he also lost us the grand final (neglecting his support and deciding to try and crash over the line then losing the ball).
This is a fallacy that never seems to die. "Lost us the grand final" - what a myth. No single event lost us the grand final. We lost because Mundine dropped the ball over the line sure, but also because our forwards went missing in the second half and Nikau, Kearney etc steamrolled us, we lost because Harrigan missed a forward pass for Melbourne's try, we lost because Kimmorley's kicking game was too good, we lost because of Ainscough's high tackle, we lost for a lot of reasons. Pinning it all on Choc is erroneous and grossly unfair. Not only did he play a big part in getting us there, he even set up the first try of the match.

sfuzzwaa

Juniors
Give Baz a break. I wonder if the world's best rugby league player, A. Johns cops the same hammering from the Novacastrians (is that how you spell it?) as Baz cops from us Dragons fans.

I know there are going to be replies about there being no comparison between Baz and Joey, but ease up and see how he goes for the rest of the season.

georgef3896

Anonymous

Juniors
sleepy_jackson said:
Sorry i wasn't more precise fellas. Mundine showed no respect when he made the comment that he was the worlds best 5/8 when the dragons were deciding who would play 5/8, implicitly this was showing disrespect towards baz.
It was Fittler and Daley who he saw as five-eighth opponents.
Mundine said all that to promote his own cause to gain rep selection. Barrett made no secret of his desire to play five-eighth but he was the club's halfback at the time, and Mundine's comments were never directed at Baz.

sleepy_jackson said:
I'm not saying mundine wasnt a match winner either, he was brilliant at times, he got us into the grand final in 1999 but he also lost us the grand final (neglecting his support and deciding to try and crash over the line then losing the ball). He was similar to tingha, brilliant at times but very stupid other times. Back to the topic of Baz, he is a very good footballer and he is an asset to any team, when he is on the field he contributes a lot and isnt afraid to get his hands dirty in defence even if he is carrying injuries, which is more than a lot of other halves do defensively in games. This is only my opinion, i'm open to the opinions of others also so keep em coming.
I don't know where to start.
I guess its suffice to say that Mundine was not a one man team and to give him credit or blame him for any win or loss is ignoring the actions of the other 12 players on the field.
I suggest you watch the 1999 grand final again, without the bias. I think you'll find your claim that 'Mundine lost us the grand final' doesn't stand up too well under scrutiny.

On your other point, I'd like an example of Blacklock's "stupidity" on the football field. No, perhaps not, I'm not sure if we want to be treated to another slice of rhetoric.

Regarding Barrett, there's a lot of people who are big fans, includung myself. I feel for the guy as he keeps getting injured... and I can but imagine his frustration.
But let's get real here. We need him on the field week after week... hopefully, starting with this week.

Latest posts