What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gus interview

betcats

Referee
If you didnt see Goulds interview with Sterlo last night I suggest you try and find it online as it was pretty awesome. It was about more than just his time here at Penrith but they talked about us a lot.

Anyway some brief points for those who cant see it:

Firstly he said there is a lot of great people at the club who worked hard to get to where we are.

He gave a lot of credit for our recent good recruitment to Cameron Ciraldo, Clint Newton and Chris Armit(these are who he mentioned but i think he ment a few more in that group) he said those guys coming was what gave us the ability to go out and sign better players the next few years.

He said by the end of 2016 we should have about 18 or 19 of our top 25 that came through the system and debuted here at Penrith. He said we should have 4 or 5 players debut this year.

There was never any five year plan, the only time he said five years was just after he started he said to his wife "its gonna take five years before we are out of the woods" though we are well ahead of that now.

This time next year our academy should be opened and ruinning and will be the best league academy and facilities in the world. Also the Baird government plegded 12 mil toward a junior sporting complex out there or something.

He praised the junior leagues and coaches in the district and said we give 2.5 mil a year to funding the junior leagues.

He heaped praise upon Cleary, apparently when he hired Ivan he told him we would run last the first two years but he would let him build the squad and develop the cultutre that we need. On that culture, he said they want Penrith to be a place where from the juniors up people want to play FG here and spend their whole careers here. HE spoke about the future of the club and what we are aiming to become which was impressive as well.

Last edited:

maple_69

Bench
Four to five. Well we have RCG and Gennings already. Blake and Api will be there at some stage. That leaves Rennings and maybe Saunders/Latu?

betcats

Referee
Four to five. Well we have RCG and Gennings already. Blake and Api will be there at some stage. That leaves Rennings and maybe Saunders/Latu?

He was talking about players who came through the system to make their NRL debuts so not Api. More specifically he was referring to the 2013 NYC team.

It was along the lines of: "we won nyc in 2013 and we had four players from that team debut last year and we have another 4 or 5 debut this year"

Thats pretty close to the exact quote i think, he might of said 5 or 6 even though thats probably just exagerating a bit for tv.

Last edited:

broncos2010

Juniors
Job is not done till premiership is won, like I told you guys before mondays game you guys have a nice little fairy tale story of pushing above your weight at the moment but when you play the serious teams like roosters and souths you will get blow away.

maple_69

Bench
Yeah I'm still smarting from that devastating loss to the Roosters in the finals last year.

I figured that might have been more the thrust of the junior comment. RCG, Gennings, Blake, Rennings. Who else do you think he'd have in mind from 2013? The only one I can think of would be Saunders.

broncos2010

Juniors
Yeah I'm still smarting from that devastating loss to the Roosters in the finals last year.

I figured that might have been more the thrust of the junior comment. RCG, Gennings, Blake, Rennings. Who else do you think he'd have in mind from 2013? The only one I can think of would be Saunders.

You are aware you need to stop living in your little dream world bubble,end of the day you will most likely lose a few of your top guns coming through in Cartwright,peachy,DWZ, W Blake when big money offers come etc you wont be able to keep them all that is what the cap is created for to share the talent just ask manly about it.

mxlegend99

Referee
You are aware you need to stop living in your little dream world bubble,end of the day you will most likely lose a few of your top guns coming through in Cartwright,peachy,DWZ, W Blake when big money offers come etc you wont be able to keep them all that is what the cap is created for to share the talent just ask manly about it.
Everyone of those players you listed is locked up for the next 2 seasons or longer. Along with Robert and George Jennings, Sam McKendry, James Segeyaro etc.

None of the players who are important to our success are at risk of leaving and have already been locked up. Unlike the Broncos, the guy running our club is actually competent.

Puntastic

Juniors
Also noticed his sneaky little comment that Merrin isn't being paid as much as is being reported ;-)

chrisD

Coach
What I would like to know is does he believe in premiership windows and inevitable rebuilding phases or does he think clubs can stay up the top continuously.

Panther Pete

Juniors
What I would like to know is does he believe in premiership windows and inevitable rebuilding phases or does he think clubs can stay up the top continuously.

Gus and Ivan have said they want to build a club where we are in the mix each year (similar to Manly and Storm for the past decade or so) and then win a premiership when all the cards fall into place. I think manly have made the semis every year for the past decade and won a couple of premierships and that's the type of goals we are now striving for (although I guess you could argue Manly are about to hit a rebuilding phase).

betcats

Referee

They touched on salary cap and how some clubs can sustain success. He believes some clubs do it and it sounds like he plans for us to be one of those clubs but he said most clubs go in cycles.