What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Half-a-game' Sonny Bill Williams won't be missed, says league legend John Sattler

PETER BADEL THE COURIER-MAIL OCTOBER 10, 2013 12:00AM 22

Ex coach Graham Lowe says Stephen Kearney should have chased Sonny-Bill Williams properly before naming World Cup squad

SOUTHS legend John Sattler has launched a stinging attack on "half-a-game" Sonny Bill Williams, saying his likely departure from the NRL will not be the crushing blow many envisage.

Williams' murky future took another bizarre twist on Tuesday night when he made himself available for New Zealand's World Cup campaign - just hours after ruling himself out of the event.

The shock backflip prompted Test selector Richie Barnett to accuse the Roosters superstar of "disrespecting" the Kiwis as he weighs up a likely return to New Zealand rugby after the World Cup.

While Williams' signing with the NZRU appears a fait accompli, Roosters chairman Nick Politis is refusing to give up hope of keeping the dual international at Bondi.

But Sattler is not convinced Williams' weekly contributions match the hype. Souths' last premiership-winning captain in 1971, Sattler attended last Sunday night's grand final and walked away lukewarm about the Kiwi Test star's game of two halves.

The Roosters have formally approached the NRL seeking salary cap assistance to retain Williams, but Sattler says the code owes the 108kg forward no favours.

Roosters presentation night - Jack Gibson Medal
Sonny Bill Williams has won the Jack Gibson Medal as best and fairest of new NRL premier the Sydney Roosters. Picture: Toby Zerna
"I don't think we'd miss him, the game goes on," said Sattler, a former Test captain.

"Once they start this, 'will I or won't I go' ... well just leave Sonny Bill.

"If your heart isn't in rugby league, go and play another code.

"The game shouldn't do any more than it has already to keep him."

While he made uncharacteristic mistakes in the opening half of the grand final, Williams produced a superb second stanza, finishing with 23 tackles and 141 metres from 14 runs.

Tohu Harris has been punted from NZ's rugby league World Cup squad to make way for Sonny Bill Williams.
This season, the 28-year-old has averaged 12 hit-ups, 24 tackles and 108 metres per game, figures Sattler believes do not denote greatness.

"He can't be considered a great of the game, imagine putting him in the same league as Bob McCarthy, Ron Coote or Reg Gasnier," Sattler said.

"He doesn't get involved enough, he hangs around and every so often he will make a great run, but he has no work-rate.

"His first half the other night was woeful, in grand finals your first half is crucial so he really played half-a-game.

"Sonny Bill wouldn't hold a candle to Coote or McCarthy. There's no doubt he has plenty of ability but in my opinion he just doesn't do enough work."

Despite Barnett's blast, the NZRL eventually added Williams to their Cup squad, just prior to the forward explaining his backflip on social media.

"Without thinking the whole situation through, I eagerly jumped at the chance to chill out and rest," he said.

"After having some time to really think about how much representing my country means to me, I decided to put my name forward for selection."

Maroons coach Mal Meninga believes NRL hierarchy can do no more to prevent Williams returning to play for the Chiefs and All Blacks in 2014.

"I think the NRL have done enough," Meninga said.

Sonny Bill Williams has issued an apology for his World Cup selection backflip, insisting his decision to take a holiday was not thoroughly considered.
"Sonny Bill understands how much the game wants him to stay. It's a personal decision. The game has told Sonny Bill how much they want him to stay and they will do everything they possibly can, but at the end of the day it will be his decision."

Broncos rival Justin Hodges urged Williams not to walk away from rugby league.

"I think he has been fantastic for the game," he said.

"When you lose players like Karmichael (Hunt) and 'Izzy' (Folau) to other codes, it makes their codes bigger.

"We need our big names to stay, a guy like Sonny Bill draws fans and entertains.

"Having him this year made the game a bit more hyped and I think he's a fantastic athlete. The Roosters have the money to keep him, it's just a matter of whether he wants to stay on. I hope he does."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...end-john-sattler/story-fni3gn3s-1226735605332

HowHigh

Coach
lol just sounds like a bitter old wanker having a sook about the Roosters winning the minor premiership and knocked Souths out in the semi

Big Sam

First Grade
He could've justifiably attacked him on his mercenary nature but to have a go at his on-field performance does hint at bitterness.

Chook

First Grade
Sattler and McCarthy must be a huge embarrassment to Souffs with their bitterness and hollow rhetoric. Fossils of a bye gone era that should be carbon dated, shelved and forgotten.

Chook.

It's funny because in two 10 minute intervals SBW won 2 of the biggest games of the year and it burns these old scabbitohs fossils big time

Sattler's claim to fame is playing with a broken jaw which judging by SKD's effort in the GF is no major challenge. Players battle on with all sorts of injuries but the only thing we ever hear about with Sattler is his broken jaw. I've never heard any journo ever talk about his talent which says a lot and McCarthy while bludging out in the backline came up with a simple intercept and forever more it's the only vision that ever gets trotted out. SBW has more talent than those two combined in his little finger. Sattler and McCarthy two legends in their own lunchtimes.

Sattler's claim to fame is playing with a broken jaw which judging by SKD's effort in the GF is no major challenge. Players battle on with all sorts of injuries but the only thing we ever hear about with Sattler is his broken jaw. I've never heard any journo ever talk about his talent which says a lot and McCarthy while bludging out in the backline came up with a simple intercept and forever more it's the only vision that ever gets trotted out. SBW has more talent than those two combined in his little finger. Sattler and McCarthy two legends in their own lunchtimes.[/QUOTE

Funny how Satts,Simms,Coote,Macca etc used to shit on and have fun at your crap every game in the late 60's early 70's

Horrie Is God

First Grade
It's sad that these 2 are sullying their reputations with nonsense like this, that make it obvious they are either bitter, silly old men, or clearly in the grip of Alzheimers..

It's all kinda sad..

McCarthy has shown his bias towards anything RW&B, obviously still bitter that he couldn't make the cut when trialling for Easts. He and Fulton (when Manly are involved) for that matter must be removed from making decisions like the CC winner it makes a complete farce of the whole thing.