What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halfback solution

Sparky 74

Juniors
I can't see sandow improving next season even under Ricky Stuart.
So have the eels a back up solution.
I think the eels should either resign Daniel Mortimer or sign Harry Syker not sure on the spelling of his surname from the panthers Toyota cup team.
Morts was unfairly treated by SK in my view. As for Harry I like what I've seen from him & his a goal kicker as well. Maybe trade sandow or try him at 14.

Parra Pride

Referee
Morts is shit house.

IIRC we tried to sign Siejka either last year or in 2010.

#ObviouslyDidn'tGetHim

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Kelly is the obvious choice as back up and if his form continues to improve, he may just overtake him.

Kornstar

Coach
I'm happy with Sandow and the back ups we have just in case he doesn't work out........we have Hayne, he sets up more tries than any of our halves, we just need solid players to feed him the ball in a timely manner.......

That was the success of 2009, everyone made sure that Hayne was the focal point and made sure that not only did they give him the ball but then they made sure they were sniffing around his ass when he created a half break to make it into something........

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm happy with Sandow and the back ups we have just in case he doesn't work out........we have Hayne, he sets up more tries than any of our halves, we just need solid players to feed him the ball in a timely manner.......

That was the success of 2009, everyone made sure that Hayne was the focal point and made sure that not only did they give him the ball but then they made sure they were sniffing around his ass when he created a half break to make it into something........

What enabled Hayne in 2009 was the same thing missing last year - a second option in attack. In '09 that was Feleti Mateo.

We certainly do need more than just "solid players to feed him the ball in a timely manner". We need attacking threats who can commit defenders.

TheParraboy

Staff member
What enabled Hayne in 2009 was the same thing missing last year - a second option in attack. In '09 that was Feleti Mateo.

We certainly do need more than just "solid players to feed him the ball in a timely manner". We need attacking threats who can commit defenders.

Wasnt Mateo out for most of 2009, came back very late in the season, well after the hayne train was creating havoc?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Wasnt Mateo out for most of 2009, came back very late in the season, well after the hayne train was creating havoc?

True, however at first Hayne was creating havoc off the back of multiple passes - it was second/third/fourth phase (and so broken play) by the time he got the ball.

Late in the season he started taking over at first receiver, which coincided with Mateo's return.

He also spent most of 2010 at first receiver after teams had figured out how to defend the offload.

jason taylor

Bench
Um did you see Morts play this year for the Roosters? He's still not first grade material. I think Sandow has potential, he was one of the only players this year that were able to set up points while Hayne was out.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Half is the least of our problems and sandow did not have a season as bad as some make out - I thought he went ok. If Ricky can get our soft forwards playing like a real forward pack then sandow will really show how good he is.

I know Souths are happy with Reynolds (and he is a good young player ) but I reckon Maguire would love to have kept him - imagine sandow playing of the back of the south forwards this year, he would have had a field day with the room/go forward they created.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I can't see sandow improving next season even under Ricky Stuart.
So have the eels a back up solution.
I think the eels should either resign Daniel Mortimer or sign Harry Syker not sure on the spelling of his surname from the panthers Toyota cup team.
Morts was unfairly treated by SK in my view. As for Harry I like what I've seen from him & his a goal kicker as well. Maybe trade sandow or try him at 14.

Jason Seage is a back-up plan, as are Luke Kelly and even Jake Mullaney.

Regardless, halfback is not our biggest problem - our forward pack needs tweaking before anything else can happen.

But do you honestly think trading Chris Sandow, for the coin he is on, for Harry Seijka, a largely unproven player, would be a wise move - for either club?