What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halfback theory

sooperdooper

First Grade
im just loving the fact that no just our halves but our whole team is sharing the workload...
timmy and finch are playing well together.... but there is always improvment!!

in the past 2 seasons we have based alot of our play on timmy.... with hagan coaching we arent....

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
sooperdooper said:
in the past 2 seasons we have based alot of our play on timmy.... with hagan coaching we arent....

Which is strange because Smith never used to structure a team around one guy. He obviously changed that a bit for Tim and probably gave him too much responsibility too early (though it looked like it was gonna get us there in 2005).

Hagan had Johns to structure around, but has shown that he can adapt and create a successful team without his halfback pulling all the strings.

The idea about the Grand Final Halfback theory is an interesting one. Maybe two decent halbacks and two decent dummy halves can make up for the lack of a great halve?

COACH STERLING

Juniors
If and when the Parra's halves fire, we'll be seeing a repeat of 2001.

At the moment where not that far off.

Finch has been the BIG improver. Whilst he isn't setting the world on fire, atleast he isn't making errors. Errors which have put the team under enormous pressure in the past. His running game is also providing something that we've lacked in previous years.

Timmy has been quiet, but still ranks amongst the best in the try assist department....now there's got to be some value there.

Our team now has a good balance of flair in the backs, Mongrels and mobility in the forwards, our halves are mixing it up by running and passing, and we have started to promote the ball in the last couple of game. This, along with bonecrunching defence has given the team all the ingredients neccessary for premiership success.

I'm starting to get that GRAND FINAL feeling!

Bigfella

Coach
I'm not so sure the halves are "sharing the load" or that Finch is playing "second half back".

In fact, it appears that Finch is playing under strict instructions to do exactly the opposite, ie to play as a ball distributing / running 5/8. IMO this is the best way for him to operate with Tim - or to play at NRL level at all.

I think he is getting there, slowly but surely.

Tim Smith is 6 in the NRL for try assists - with 11.

Next ranked Parra player is PJ Marsh at 37, with 4.

Finch is at 55 with 2.

I'm not posting those figures to bag Finch, but to show that the recent improvement has come as he is accepting Tim take the playmaker role, which he can do to great effect, and to allow an alternative, low risk option on the outside.

sooperdooper

First Grade
Bigfella said:
I'm not so sure the halves are "sharing the load" or that Finch is playing "second half back".

In fact, it appears that Finch is playing under strict instructions to do exactly the opposite, ie to play as a ball distributing / running 5/8. IMO this is the best way for him to operate with Tim - or to play at NRL level at all.

I think he is getting there, slowly but surely.

Tim Smith is 6 in the NRL for try assists - with 11.

Next ranked Parra player is PJ Marsh at 37, with 4.

Finch is at 55 with 2.

I'm not posting those figures to bag Finch, but to show that the recent improvement has come as he is accepting Tim take the playmaker role, which he can do to great effect, and to allow an alternative, low risk option on the outside.

i didnt mean just those 2... i mean the whole team
and with marsh,pig and burt stepping in to do some kicking its taking pressure of these boys

caylo

Bench
eelavation said:
alot of you are completely missing the point of what role a five eight plays these days, how many 6's in the comp play like a halfback?? infact have a look at who's wearing number 6 for NSW and that should answer your question,

Finchy is doing his job more than what people care to imagine, sure he's got plenty of ball players around him sharing the work load but what what he's doing outside that role far out weighs what alot of you seem to believe he should be doing.

Finchy :arrow: Finchy

Timmy :arrow: Timmy

You know, he also does alot of the mop up work hindy used to do. Diving on loose balls, against the cowboys he fadded back, and took a ball that landed in goals, had it bounced it could have been dangerous.

He realises that he doesn't need to set up every try, and Timmy is the better at that sort of stuff. He has started to chim in when he needs to, but hasn't over played his hand, like he was a little at the beginning of the year.

NOTE: All our top players, Hindy, Cayless... none got a mention as neither did timmy. Because we have come to expect these sort of performances. Cayless, and Hindy with timmy and burt have been our best all season, one game when they wont the stars of the show, we call it a bad game. I actually enjoy the fact that our forwards, like Mateo and Backs like Inu, Hayne, Benny and Grothe, can set up try out of nothing. I'm glad that we do not rely on the timmy mirical ball, or his grubber kick. IN 2005 that was our down fall, we were one dimentional. A good team is not like this. Even the knights 2001 team, Tahu, Kenndy and Buderous were at the fore-front in that win. Joey was not the best player on the park, even though he won the MOM award.

Stagger eel

Staff member
caylo said:
You know, he also does alot of the mop up work hindy used to do. Diving on loose balls, against the cowboys he fadded back, and took a ball that landed in goals, had it bounced it could have been dangerous.

He realises that he doesn't need to set up every try, and Timmy is the better at that sort of stuff. He has started to chim in when he needs to, but hasn't over played his hand, like he was a little at the beginning of the year.

if my memory serves me correct he did it twice the other night and twice against the Warriors, saved what appeared to be a very dangerous situation.

I think Bigfella summed it up well by saying that all Finchy's doing is following instructions and gameplan set out by Hages and it's working, but it just appears to me that other people here are expecting him to play a different game.

Kornstar

Coach
Kennedy should have had the Churchill Medal, Johns got it because he didn't get it in 97!

Utey

Coach
eelavation said:
if my memory serves me correct he did it twice the other night and twice against the Warriors, saved what appeared to be a very dangerous situation.

I think Bigfella summed it up well by saying that all Finchy's doing is following instructions and gameplan set out by Hages and it's working, but it just appears to me that other people here are expecting him to play a different game.

They have nfi thats why. He is doing the job brilliantly.

emjaycee

Coach
Exactly right, UTE and Eela... Finch is doing the job that Hages wants him to do.. otherwise he wouldnt be getting picked each week.

I bet his name hasnt come up once in Tuesday morning selection discussions except when he came back from injury.

Time this board cut him some slack and looks at the contibution he makes to the team with positive eyes and not negative ones.

caylo

Bench
emjaycee said:
Time this board cut him some slack and looks at the contibution he makes to the team with positive eyes and not negative ones.

I think over the last 5 round i have hear "this is the best finch has played for parramatta to date" about 3-4 times. He doesn't have 175 games to his name, and origin Caps for no reason, he is a good player and better than any 5-8 we have had in a long long time. Do i think he is teh future to our club, no, but atm he is the best option, and not an opiton we should complain about when we compare his performances to others in recent years.

Latest posts