What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halfback theory

Bigfella

Coach
Robbo is another beneficiary of playing in a team with four propos going well.

It allows him to play his mop up role in defense and add something more than expected in attack.

Whereas last year playing often as a makeshift prop without much help at times the whole side lacked the necessary go forward.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
I loved Ben Smith's bat on plays to Grothe, his freak try was because of the bat on from Ben Smith. Also, Burt has taken a much more ballplaying role and it has done the team well, on many occasions when our halves were in no position, Burt came through. And, btw Burt is our 40/20 kicker, hes come up with a few... we dont NEED tim smith to kick em, if someone else can.

V1er

Juniors
It also allows us to vary our attack, we were accused of being a bit one dimensinal with tim smith creating most tries, but last night proved we have 16 other players that teams should worry about.

carson

Juniors
I think Tim's is strating to learn not to overplay his hand, he seemed to pick and choose his involvement rather than trying to be involved in every play. This confused the opposition as they were expecting him to get the ball every play and openned up the game for Finch and Mateo, well played Tim.

sooperdooper

First Grade
tim isnt in mediocre form... he is in good form!
he is playing well this year..

one thing you will notice is the sharing of the workloads. in the past we used to expect timmy to do something when we were down there end. now we have many more options.
mateo
burt
finch
riddell
marsh

in the past as a fan i used to think there was to much pressure on timmy... now im loving how other players are stepping in and stepping up

LukeBurtforPM

Juniors
I cant believe the crap that this guy gets, why do we need him to be P Sterling or A Johns. He is a good little player, does what is needed of him. Too many people are caught up expecting him to be the next big thing, wake up he isnt, but he is the best half we have had for many years.

jk13

First Grade
the best game para hav played in 3 yrs and people want to be critical. be critical next week if they return to the predictable play we're all use to.
Well done finchy, in comparison to our previous 5/8, you're miles ahead. That tackle u pulled on chewbacca (tigers winger) to stop him 1m from our line (1 on 1), not many 5/8's in this comp could pull off.
Gotta laugh at ben smith though, everytime he made it clear of the defence its like he looks around surprised that he's thru. confidence is a wonderful thing and is finally finding a home at para again this year.
and the thing about mateo is that he has all the skills, but how about his passion & determination last nite.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Gotta laugh at ben smith though, everytime he made it clear of the defence its like he looks around surprised that he's thru.

i noticed that too! :lol: he's gotta back himself!

jk13

First Grade
bens facial expression is like, FMD i'm through. Only last night, the brain then engaged to 2nd gear to allow forward propulsion

Bazal

Post Whore
emjaycee said:

:lol::lol:

Well done...you've completely turned me, because of that beautifully constructed post I find myself believing that not only is Brett Finch the greatest five-eighth we've ever had grace our fantastic team, he is also our saviour, and quite possibly the second coming of Christ...

He ran well, and he tackled well...but is it too much to ask for a five-eighth that can actually set up tries for others with good options? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but that is his job, yes?

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Bazal said:
He ran well, and he tackled well...but is it too much to ask for a five-eighth that can actually set up tries for others with good options? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but that is his job, yes?

Well he set up one for Mateo.
Plus he scored one. What would you prefer him to do, pass to someone else to prove he can set them up?

Bazal

Post Whore
B-Tron 3000 said:
Well he set up one for Mateo.
Plus he scored one. What would you prefer him to do, pass to someone else to prove he can set them up?

How about do it consistently, rather than one decent option amongst a number of shocking ones?

emjaycee

Coach
Bazal said:
:lol::lol:

Well done...you've completely turned me, because of that beautifully constructed post I find myself believing that not only is Brett Finch the greatest five-eighth we've ever had grace our fantastic team, he is also our saviour, and quite possibly the second coming of Christ...

Glad you loved my well constructed post.:sarcasm:
Seriously, when are some of the people on this forum going to get off Finch's case?

The guy was bought by our current coach to play five-eighth. Not his best and most experienced position prior to this year but none-the-less the position he was purchased to play.

In a game where we outplayed the opposition 7 tries to 1 despite 50/50 possession, 5-8 penalties against us and the opposition being on a 6 game winning streak, our five-eighth did what he is paid to do.

He ran the ball (9 times), he passed the ball, the set up a try, he scored a try, he made 17 tackles and he cleaned up at least one kick that almost saw the tigers regain posssession 10 metres out.

Everyone is shouting about how well B Smith played and how he had his best running game for ages - who the frack was playing inside him and getting the ball to him?

Lets build a bridge people and get over the whole Finch sucks issue.

caylo

Bench
Thierry Henry said:
Finch>Smith

now your a TOSSER!!

Timmy did not see much ball, similar to Hayne and Inu. For some reason hagen thought attacking down eric and grothe side was more reliable, and he was correct relay. Finch and timmy generally play a two sided attack, finch out wide to the left and timmy pretty much owns the rest of the field. Last night, the ball saw eric and benny the most, even haynes try was from support play of an attacking raid down the left side. Timmy didn't see much opportunity, but in a game with 50-50 possession, he kicked well into space, put the ball in behind the line when needed, other than 1 kick, the rest were perfect. It was a game were our forwards dominated and second phase play was the order of the day, a team effort, not an individual one. Timmy did what was necessary of him, and if his kicking game is off, he could have easily let the opposition team back in.

Timmy is probably one of the most skillful player in the comp, his short kicking game is second to one, and his passing game is almost perfect. If i had to pick between timmy and finch, on ya bike son, I would drop finchy off at the bus stop. IMO timmy is the best halfback option for qld after Thurston, his game is better than Prince, and Cronk, and i wouldn't change him for any halfback in the comp. He will be one of the most dominate players over the next 10 years, and remember prince would have 5 years on him, cronk even 3 years in the NRL before timmy. You guys expect the world from him, and yet he is still a youngster. With him at the helm, we don't have to worry about the halfback position for a while yet.

Pazza

First Grade
tim did come nice things but the important part is that the teams attack did not sorely rely on Tim like last week against the warriors

Stagger eel

Staff member
alot of you are completely missing the point of what role a five eight plays these days, how many 6's in the comp play like a halfback?? infact have a look at who's wearing number 6 for NSW and that should answer your question,

Finchy is doing his job more than what people care to imagine, sure he's got plenty of ball players around him sharing the work load but what what he's doing outside that role far out weighs what alot of you seem to believe he should be doing.

Finchy :arrow: Finchy

Timmy :arrow: Timmy

Kornstar

Coach
Finch is improving, if he can play half as good as Monday night for the rest of the year and step up when needed, everyone should be happy.

I agree with Eela, he does alot of little things in games that may not be flashy, however they are important, if he continues doing that and contributes a little more in attack (like Monday night) then we will be in a great position come finals time!!