What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halfbacks - split from Michael Lett Thread.

caylo

Bench
parra pete said:
Thanks for correcting that. I missed the second one..I must have been lining up at the bar to get a drink...No beer wenches around then :lol:...(PS just kidding..I'm an old goat........ but not that old!!!!...:lol:)

if u where that old of a goat, then i don't think you would know how to type on this mistical black box we call a computer. Hell i only no because i read it in the daily telegraph. :D

fish eel

Immortal
Eelementary said:
This is my example:

The Don - LEGENDARY batsman.

Now, if he devoted himself to training specifically to face today's cricketers, in today's conditions...Would his Test average of 99.94 still hold up? I, personally, doubt it. And here's why:

Insanley-talented freaks like Muttiah Muralithuran, Shane Warne, Courtney Walsh, Flintoff, etc...They weren't around during The Don's era. Mind you, around his time, you still had some great cricketers - but how many could fair dinkum bowl a ball at 150+ kph, like Lee or Akhtar? How many could bowl vicious doosras or leg-breaks that swung and spun in amazing ways? In the words of Scribe, "Not many - if any."

I'm a big believer in the adage that a legend is a product of his own era. The great Magic Johnson would struggle to maintain his amazing match figures in the NBA of today, playing against guys like Iverson, Tim Duncan and the like. Maradona would have a much harder time dominating the game in this day and age against bigger, more physical and agile players.

A brilliant sportsman would cut it at any level.

Don Bradman, two words: uncovered wickets.
Maradona, his skill on the ball means he'd be more than capable of unlocking a modern day defence.
80's league players, give them modern day training facilities, medical support etc and watch 'em flourish.
Talent runs across generations.....

fish eel

Immortal
I reckon Don Bradman would have loved to have walked out to bat on that beautiful gabba wicket against Harmison, Flitoff, Hoggard and Giles, compared with uncovered wickets and the gun pre war english sides.....

Eelementary

Post Whore
You know why the Don would probably still average so highly in modern-day cricket? Simple - because of his nationality.

Because he's Aussie, he's lucky he wouldn't have to face Glenn McGrath, Shane Warne, Brett Lee, Dennis Lillee, Jeff Thomspon, etc.. Now that is a huge advantage.

Eelementary

Post Whore
fish eel said:
A brilliant sportsman would cut it at any level.

Don Bradman, two words: uncovered wickets.
Maradona, his skill on the ball means he'd be more than capable of unlocking a modern day defence.
80's league players, give them modern day training facilities, medical support etc and watch 'em flourish.
Talent runs across generations.....

Well, Maradona used his [lack of] size beautifully in his era - he wooed and bamboozled defenders using genuine speed and agility, due to his short stature and low centre of gravity. There were no defenders that could touch him back then.

Fast forward to today, when your defenders all tend to be 6 foot and over and weighing close to 90 kilos (if not more), and I doubt he'd be able to keep up with the more physical defences of today.

Look, you and I - we have different opinions. And that's cool, you know? I respect you and your opinions.

One thing is for sure, though - I would love to see The Don bat against Warne, McGrath, Lillee, Thompson, etc. That would just be brilliant.