What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halfbacks

johno

Juniors
With the NRL season due to start very soon i have seen new players names mentioned, they predict that given a chance these players will be used in the starting 17 in front of well known players.As a fan or the NRL would be interested to hear comments from fans in Aus & NZ of who they predict will do well and also which well known players will not make the starting line ups,Do you think any halfbacks will be given the push..

aussiewarrior

Juniors
I think you will find from what i have read that young Jamie Soward will start the year at half-back instead of the well known and well exp. Brett Finch

The Preacher

First Grade
aussiewarrior said:
I think you will find from what i have read that young Jamie Soward will start the year at half-back instead of the well known and well exp. Brett Finch

That's only because he can play footy and Finch can't !!!! :lol:

aussiewarrior said:

with Soward off to the Tigers next year I can't see Stuart putting too much time into him.

i think we'l see finch back to his 2004 form when he was runner up in dally m's and ws halfback of the year.

OVP

Coach
Dominant Lost His Legs said:
with Soward off to the Tigers next year I can't see Stuart putting too much time into him.

i think we'l see finch back to his 2004 form when he was runner up in dally m's and ws halfback of the year.

Its the other way around, Finch Lover. FOFFOFF.

brook

First Grade
If prince should sign with the gold coast I wont be at all suprised if Dean Caldwell plays a few first grade games this year - especially if prince plays SOO

If prince stays with the tigers they will probably hold Dean back a bit longer though

HevyDevy

Coach
Despite the anti-Finch sentiment, he could well be back to his best this seaosn with Anasta beside him. Finch isn't a player that can control a side by himself but if Braith can take on that role and Finch can just look after basic kicking and playmaking theb Roosters can win the comp.

Remember his phenomenal stats in 2004.

Steelers4eva

Juniors
HevyDevy said:
Despite the anti-Finch sentiment, he could well be back to his best this seaosn with Anasta beside him. Finch isn't a player that can control a side by himself but if Braith can take on that role and Finch can just look after basic kicking and playmaking theb Roosters can win the comp.

Remember his phenomenal stats in 2004.

Anasta is no Freddy and Finch will struggle again this year. Finch will struggle to get the forwards moving around the park while Braith makes daisy chains with the rest of the backline. If their forward pack struggle which IMO it will, the only go forward Finch will get is the go forward to sign elsewhere from the Roosters management.

sooperdooper

First Grade
as an eels fan i hope to see many of our young guys get runs this year, but in the way of our half back....well we only just recently bleed him. and he did great

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Steelers4eva said:
If their forward pack struggle which IMO it will, the only go forward Finch will get is the go forward to sign elsewhere from the Roosters management.

Let me tell you now, our forward pack will not struggle.. Watch out for Shillington, Shackleton and Plum to have huge years. They are guns..

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
We WILL see Fien at halfback for the warriors

but incase of injury, suspension, SOO or any other reasons, the possible replacements are most likely Hohaia or Rovelli.

Raider_69

Post Whore
william zillman will get a fair bit of game time if elliott sticks true to his word
and you recon raiders fans are excited about carney, this bloke is an even more exciting prospect for raiders fans :D

there has been abit of speculation that he may infact start rd 1 as 5/8th pushing Jason Smith to half, withers to the bench and carney back in PL

borat

Bench
Raider_69 said:
there has been abit of speculation that he may infact start rd 1 as 5/8th pushing Jason Smith to half, withers to the bench and carney back in PL

Wouldn't that require Elliott taking a risk?

My Tip for the Raiders Halves in Rd 1

6. Smith
7. Withers

LESStar58

Referee
Cronk will have a blinder for Melbourne. i've seen him play and just hearing folks talk about how good he can be gives me a ton of optimism.

If Cronk is injured (or plays Origin :p) James Aubusson will come in his place. I hope he gets some bench tiome and is used as a sub a la Cronk in 04 and 05.

Raider_69

Post Whore
borat said:
Wouldn't that require Elliott taking a risk?

My Tip for the Raiders Halves in Rd 1

6. Smith
7. Withers

indeed it would require a risk, which is why its only speculation, i agree, i fully expect withers and smith to start rd 1 with zilly on the bench
but zillys form is making it almost impossible not to start, so elliotts options are being slowly bleed by his form

why dont u's have
6.Finch
7.Soward
12.Harrison
13.Anasta ???????