What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halfway point, who will be premiers?

Who will be the 2006 premiers

• Broncos

Votes: 15 5.7%
  • Storm

Votes: 45 17.2%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 38 14.5%
  • Cowboys

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • Knights

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • Sea Eagles

Votes: 27 10.3%
  • Sharks

Votes: 24 9.2%
  • Dragons

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • Tigers

Votes: 27 10.3%
  • Raiders

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Roosters

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Pathers

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Eels

• Warriors

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Souths

• Total voters

Stranger

Coach
Roosters are yet to put together an 80minute game...

When Mini comes back and they get a deacent team, i think they will come good and make the 8 and push for a spot.

i reckon it will be between, broncos,bulldogs,storm and tigers..

although storm and broncos usually go this well during the season, and then they are kicked out 2nd week of the finals,

so im predicting a 2004 premiers and a 2005 premiers grand final..

LESStar58

Referee
Holy crap! A majority are backing the Storm!

My heart AND my head rule me and I think we will win it this year! Scariest thing is that we are not even at full strength yet! Wait until the rep season is over and, touch wood, we are injury free!

When Michael Crocker gets back....well, I think he'll have recovered from his surgery and after being forced to sit out for so long he'll be filthy on himself. It might be hard for him to get back in the team the way we are going but once he gets ready to play again he'll rip in. As I have stated before.

1999- major off-season buy gets suspended, Storm crack the sh*ts, player returns, Storm win the comp

2006- major off-season buy gets suspended, CEO cracks the sh*ts and adopts seige mentality...

History repeats perhaps?

Anyhow, I'm also thrilled to see benny Cross finally get a jersey and I had a ball watching him run riot against Penrith. I reckon once he and Crocker combine the opposittion defenses will sh*t bricks!

We have more than enough depth in the backline as well just in case Billy gets suspended AGAIN!

LESStar58

Referee
Balmain Bug said:
End of Season after 26 rounds.

1 Storm
2 Broncos
3 Dragons
4 Cowboys
5 Sea Eagles
6 Bulldogs
7 Knights
8 Wests

9 Sharks
10 Parramatta
11 Roosters
12 Panthers
13 Raiders
14 Warriors
15 Souths :(

Storm minor premiers? Oh how sweet that would be!

The smokeys for my top 8 are Cronulla and Canberra. They seem to be playing well whilst missing so many key personnel!

renouf

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
A decent #7? Perry? If Perry wins a comp for the Broncos he will go down as the most avg halfback ever....and i mean ever...to win a comp.

You seriously have no idea what Perry does do you? He's doing what Seymour didn't seem to be able to do, and thats put a good attacking kick in. 9 times out of 10 Perry finds space when he kicks long.

Mark my words if key players in 6,7,9 and 1 remain injury free we'll go all the way this year. If we pickup an injury to Lockyer leading up to the finals then I'd say no, but our luck has got to change sometime.

renouf

Juniors
Timmah said:
Bulldogs have shot to the lead in this poll now... interesting - why do people think us?

because most people have no clue. I think Brisbane showed how ordinary the dogs are up against a decent opposition. If it's not Brisbane it'll be another side that will knock them out.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:|

Every team has played an ordinary game this year. The only reason we didn't win is because you scored 18 points in the first half. Second half was 7-6 to you blokes and we stepped up.

By your logic, no team deserves to win the comp.

ngunity

Juniors
My contenders to win the premiership:

Melbourne
their richness of backline talent can take you deep into the Finals (like cowboys and Tigers of recent years). However I don't think the Storm have the halves to win a comp, Cronk too underdone and Scott Hill (if he makes the first team during the semis) will choke like he always does. Inglis also showed (and it has happened to plenty of great players) that he can wilt under pressure e.g. Origin one and presumably semis too. Bellamy a GREAT coach though, Bennett's protege

Bulldogs
Best forwards in the comp, mysterious mixture of backline where some are in rich form, whilst others can't regain old form, or have no experience.
I think they've had a soft draw to start the comp and have been flogged by several contenders, only feathers in the cap are wins over Tigers and Knights and being lucky enough to play poor teams early
Still the Dogs forwards and SBW are healthy and can smash apart any team not clever and lucky enough to and run around them. Mason in career best form and has dropped the d!ckhead attitude his onfield leadership can carry the dogs to a premiership like the Steve Price vibe did in 2004 (pricey missed the GF :-( ). O'Meley best prop in the comp MASSIVE impact and heart.
I honestly think if Sherwin finds good or better than good form the Dogs will take all the prizes, but since that doesn't look too likely it's too tough to call

Dragons
IF and only IF the following things occur:
* 90% of their starters remain consistently fit and build cohesion
* Matthew Head plays
* Nathan Brown catches a mysterious illness that keeps him from coaching them in the Big finals
> On a side note I'll say that Luke Bailey has been on par if not better than O'Meley as the best prop in the comp, he's got the heart and workrate of Buderus this year, it's a joy to watch. Go L.B.

Eagles
If they're going to win anytime in the next few years it's this year with BK in vintage form and Menzies as great as ever. Eagles have spent well and had some inhouse talent come through well. If there forward pack could put together their reign of terror from mid last year when they were the obvious best backrowers in league (for a period) they'll go places

Good teams that won't win the G/F in my opinion:

Knights
after 13 rounds with no bye Johns looks exhausted and plays it too. He's not going to be any younger or fitter after 29 games assuming Knights make the GF. They've got to seriously start resting him and maintaining his fatigue. I know the knights can't threaten without Johns but I think if the Knights progress with him he'll be burned up with defending and brutal defence in the semis and his old back won't carry the knights to a 2006 premiership

Tigers
I admit I can't tip the Tigers, so you can disregard this, but I can't see them putting together a sneaky run of form to burst into the finals like 2005. Anytime the Tigers warm up they'll either have desperate top4 competition throwing everything at them to suck the wind out of their sales, or poor old Benji will hurt something and they'll string together a few more losses. They also don't have Richards and O'Neill anymore and they are big losses for WT

Cowboys
They don't have anyone to partner JT, unless Payne can turn his form up to red hot like he started the season they don't have the options. You can never write off Cowboy creativity though so that's not why they won't win, the reaon they won't win is they're going to feel what the Broncos fans might term " a post origin slump". Reality of playing good league in QLD, sorry Cowboys you couldn't quite crack the bogey Tigers last year and you won't see the GF this year

Broncos
great coach, good roster, I think the Origin pain will ease a little this year but I think the loss of Ennis or any other ball playing hooker has robbed the Broncos of a golden title shot. Props though great lack the lustre of yesteryear, pack not what it used to be. Just not enough creativity without a hooker to assist whatever hack wears #7 to reduce pressure on Lockyer

*** Anyways in answer to the Thread title:
Depending on Injury, and if we were to assume there was no more NRL injury this year ;-) , either the Dogs or Dragons will win depending on which halfback plays better

Mr Saab

Referee
renouf said:
You seriously have no idea what Perry does do you? He's doing what Seymour didn't seem to be able to do, and thats put a good attacking kick in. 9 times out of 10 Perry finds space when he kicks long.

Mark my words if key players in 6,7,9 and 1 remain injury free we'll go all the way this year. If we pickup an injury to Lockyer leading up to the finals then I'd say no, but our luck has got to change sometime.

Doesnt change the fact that he is avg. Please...go thru ever GF winner since 1980 and take a look at their halfbacks. Do you honestly think Perry fits that mould of those class 7s? Yes he is putting the kicks in and doint alll the 1%ers, but this is round 13. Lets see in round 26 where we are at with our halves.

salivor

First Grade
Mr Saab said:
Doesnt change the fact that he is avg. Please...go thru ever GF winner since 1980 and take a look at their halfbacks. Do you honestly think Perry fits that mould of those class 7s? Yes he is putting the kicks in and doint alll the 1%ers, but this is round 13. Lets see in round 26 where we are at with our halves.

The joys of having a coach who has placed the retention of Seymour above Prince and Barnes, a coach who tried to turn Shaun Berrigan into a halfback, a coach who has backed himself into a corner where a Qld Cup player on the verge of 30 who'd played about 5 first grade games in a decade of footy is now our apparent saviour.

We only have a couple of options left really, about the only real semi-feasible option would be 1. Boyd, 6. Lockyer, 7. Hunt. But then I'd have questions over Hunt as a first reciever and playmaker when to date he's only really worked off Lockyer rather than for him.

Thanks Wayne.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Very interesting last 12 rounds coming up. Looking at the form so far its really going to be a toss of the coin job.

Bulldogs seem to have the go forward, but really have struggled to put teams away this year all except for the woeful tigers in round 2. They let Cronulla back into the game the other week and were terrible against the broncos the other night. Could be the dark horses come October.

Storm. Well they have a big chance of winning the competition. Just have to hope they haven't peaked too early. Players with the skill of Slater, Inglis, Hill, Geyer just to name a few should give them the right to be the early favourites.

Brisbane always a threat. You can never ever write off Wayne and his troops from north of the Border.

Tigers have the ability, have the talent but have they got what it takes to go back to back?? Already have defeated 5 of the current teams in the top 8.

Cowboys have got the mid season wobbles after a flying start. Should make the 8 and anything is possible from there. Should figure promply in the second week of the finals.

Front-Rower said:
Very interesting last 12 rounds coming up. Looking at the form so far its really going to be a toss of the coin job.

Bulldogs seem to have the go forward, but really have struggled to put teams away this year all except for the woeful tigers in round 2. They let Cronulla back into the game the other week and were terrible against the broncos the other night. Could be the dark horses come October.

Storm. Well they have a big chance of winning the competition. Just have to hope they haven't peaked too early. Players with the skill of Slater, Inglis, Hill, Geyer just to name a few should give them the right to be the early favourites.

Brisbane always a threat. You can never ever write off Wayne and his troops from north of the Border.

Tigers have the ability, have the talent but have they got what it takes to go back to back?? Already have defeated 5 of the current teams in the top 8.

Cowboys have got the mid season wobbles after a flying start. Should make the 8 and anything is possible from there. Should figure promply in the second week of the finals.

damn didnt think we beat 5 out of 8 top 8 teams we havent played brisbane or cronulla yet either so u wouldnt count them

Raider_69

Post Whore
c_eagle said:
Didn't you all laugh the same way this time last year? In fact, you were even better placed halfway through last season. What position did you finish again?

we finished 14th, with 10000 injuries to boot
one would assume injuries will not hit as that hard again in the back half of this season
canberra will make the top 10, with abit of luck, sneak a finals possy

BWNB

First Grade
I tip Broncos to win the comp , like to say sharks. They can do it but if i was to put money on anyone i would put it on the broncos and maybe the storm

Front-Rower

First Grade
joel caine number 1 fan said:
damn didnt think we beat 5 out of 8 top 8 teams we havent played brisbane or cronulla yet either so u wouldnt count them

You guys beat Cronulla at Campbelltown in round 6, 42 - 14.

You guys have beat Storm, Cronulla, Manly, Cowboys and Saints.

Mr. Snrub

Juniors
Storm look like the best team at the moment but I don't think they will make it to the grand final. If broncos get through the origin series without a loss they could be a chance. Bulldogs are also a team which always does well in finals matches and I would think that they would be good enough to atleast make it to the Grand Final. Cowboys could also sneak up and make the Grand Final. Saints won't make it.

What is everyones prediction for how the finals will go? Like which teams will vs who in the 1st, 2nd and third week?

Front-Rower said:
You guys beat Cronulla at Campbelltown in round 6, 42 - 14.

You guys have beat Storm, Cronulla, Manly, Cowboys and Saints.

for some reason i dont remember that match i might have too go watch it again

Latest posts