What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hand back your pay cheques

gong_eagle

First Grade
Hand back your pay cheques

Article from:

By Dean Ritchie
June 15, 2007 12:00am

NSW five-eighth Braith Anasta and centre Jamie Lyon were last night told to hand back their pay cheques for under-performing in the series-deciding State of Origin match in Sydney.
As the fallout continued from Wednesday night's game two defeat, former Blues champion Ben Elias described the pair's performances as "embarrassing".
He said they were so ordinary they should consider returning their $12,500 match payments earned from the Telstra Stadium showdown.
Elias also called for the Blues selectors to bite the bullet and promote the Wests Tigers' ball-playing No. 9 Robbie Farah for Origin III – at the expense of current NSW captain Danny Buderus.
"Braith Anasta and Jamie Lyon – how could they accept their pay cheques?" Elias said. "It was embarrassing. Brent Kite and Danny Buderus. They didn't produce either.
"It's time for the captain (Buderus) to move on. Robbie Farah is the best player in the game. Farah worries opposition teams, Buderus doesn't.
"I couldn't believe Buderus gave up his Australian jumper last year. It was the beginning of the end for him in rep footy."
The Daily Telegraph yesterday interviewed some of the Blues' greatest players in a bid to discover why Queensland have won the past four State of Origin matches.
Most believe the Blues selectors have been left with major selection headaches leading up to the dead-rubber Origin III in Brisbane on July 4.
Lyon, who will play for Manly against Souths tonight at Brookvale Oval, fired back at Elias' comments.
"I haven't had much to do with him (Elias)," Lyon said.
"He's not someone I look up to. I won't be losing any sleep. It's annoying – you don't want to hear that stuff being said. But what can you do? I've had other more important issues in my life."
Anasta was unavailable for comment yesterday after undergoing surgery on a fractured finger which will keep him out for between four to six weeks.
Cronulla's Greg Bird is a strong candidate to be Anasta's replacement in Brisbane.
Roosters club doctor John Orchard said Anasta broke his hand in the first half on Wednesday night and played on for the remainder of the match without pain-killing injections.
Former Blues powerhouse Steve Roach also called on selectors to make changes.
"I think they have to bite the bullet and look to the future – have a new beginning," Roach said.
"They have to bring in Paul Gallen.
"I think there are a lot of players who may have played their last Origin game for NSW.
"I'm sick and tired of seeing centres get in to dummy-half all the time."

Alex28

Coach
Whoa...Ben Elias pushing for the Tigers hooker to play Origin. How newsworthy!

Agree with Anasta and Lyon tho...

Brutus

Referee
That's exactly what Ben Elias said on 2SM yesterday afternoon with Paul Langmack at around 3.40pm. Easy back page story if I've ever seen one.

kooriguy

Juniors
believe this from an ex tigers lebanese hooker talking up the curent tigers lebanese hooker :)

Kingytek

Juniors
Alex28 said:
Whoa...Ben Elias pushing for the Tigers hooker to play Origin. How newsworthy!

Agree with Anasta and Lyon tho...

Well I agree with him and Im not a tigers support, nor am I a Knights supporter

Kid

Juniors
kooriguy said:
believe this from an ex tigers lebanese hooker talking up the curent tigers lebanese hooker :)
:roll: What does race have to do with it? For the record, Buderus tried his heart out the other night. Benny is spot on with Lyon though, has a couple of years killing it in England and everyone thinks he's a super star. He's never recaptured the form in the NRL that he had when he left. Actually i think he's the most overrated player in the game.

smeghead

Bench
If you want to see it as a an ex Tiger talking up a currnet one that is fine.

The most valid point he brings up IMO is that Buderus whilst giving his all and offering great defence does not offer an extra option in the play making stakes which is what NSW has lacked with quality halves so thin on the ground. In the first two games Queenslands 6,7 and 9 have been offering alot in attack whilst NSW have had a workhorse hooker, a lock stly 5/6 and two different halfbacks with all of the attacking pressure on them alone

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
:roll: Farah 'best player in the game' :roll: he isnt even the best hooker in the game.
He's unproven at rep level, but if Smith is the game's premier #9 at the moment, yet Farah has comprehensively outplayed him in both of their encounters this year. I wouldn't say the claim is quite ridiculous as all that.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Yes Benny is biased, but he's only saying what most already know.

I'm struggling to comprehend why Buderus never receives any criticism from any sections of the media for his recent rep performances. It seems his spot is never under pressure. I'd like to know why.

smeghead

Bench
1. Newcastle Circle Jerk

2. Oh and the fact he has always given 100% at origin level and the fact that he is captain.

But the lack of media attention on Farahs form over Butterbalss is down to reason 1

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
hybrid_tiger said:
Yes Benny is biased, but he's only saying what most already know.

I'm struggling to comprehend why Buderus never receives any criticism from any sections of the media for his recent rep performances. It seems his spot is never under pressure. I'd like to know why.
Well, he didn't actually play badly. His defence was outstanding - he just played a consumately unintelligent attacking game, when the team needed him to run and be more creative and kick. If Farah wasn't performing as well as he is, we really wouldn't be calling for Buderus' head here either.

Dutchy

Immortal
Manly fLIP said:
I've gotta agree with everyone. Lyon needs to prove his place. Until then, no more rep in my opinion.

As for Kite. A little harsh guys.

The bloke gEHKSRGZAets 32 mins. Half what he plays NRL club level.

On top of that he makes 100m. 100m in 32 mins with 23 tackles. Thats close to the same tackle figures as simpson, mason and bailey. But he does it in half the time.

In 32 mins he makes the same amount of meters that Hidmarsh and Simpson made together in 100mins.

Go figure guys. Your a tough crowd.

Perhaps if Murry knew what the f**k he was doing with his bench rotation kite wouldn't be hidden for 60% of the match. Maybe thats where your all going wrong.

I can only imagine his figures if he got a decent spell on the field.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
ShadesOfTheSun said:
Well, he didn't actually play badly. His defence was outstanding - he just played a consumately unintelligent attacking game, when the team needed him to run and be more creative and kick. If Farah wasn't performing as well as he is, we really wouldn't be calling for Buderus' head here either.

When your halves are Kimmorley and Anasta, or Mullen and Anasta, you need an alternative to take pressure of these guys - with a smart kicking game, and the ability to create something in the opposition 20.

QLD has Lockyer, Thurston and Smith. If Thurston is getting targetted and has no time, then Smith kicks from dummy half to take some pressure off. The one and only kick Buderus tried in Origin went out of the full.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
the way buderus is playing reminds me of what fitzgibbon was at the end of his rep career. he tries hard but isnt up to scratch anymore.

Latest posts