What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hang me for saying this but the NRL needs to go national or go down the drain

tiburon

Juniors
I think he meant Queensland will surpass Victoria in a few years but they're still a million and a half off.

Ice777

Bench
tiburon said:
I think he meant Queensland will surpass Victoria in a few years but they're still a million and a half off.

I think he meant Brisbane as he mentioned their population as being nearly 2 million people. Anyway population forecasts for 2051 will still see Melbourne having around 1.7 million more people and they reckon in 2041 that Queensland will take over Victoria as the second most populace state.

magpie_man

Juniors
i don't think sydney is overcrowded with nrl teams. in fact, the nrl should look at bringing back the bears as the central coast team. if they could play a couple of games a year at north sydney oval, you would have pretty much every region of sydney covered.
the other thing to consider is that there is a trend towards nrl teams being privatised, which helps their financial security:
max delmege for manly; politis and packer for the roosters; crowe and holmes a court for the bunnies; the bloke who owns WIN for the dragons; canterbury, parra and penrith all have extremely strong leagues clubs.
plus singleton has said he will fund the bears if they are put in as the central coast team.
the nrl should look at expanding the comp to 18 teams by as soon as 2010. the central coast is a must and i would put the other team in perth. the wellington orcas are another option, but i think the nrl should allow the warriors to sort themselves out better before putting another team in new zealand. perth is a better option considering the financial boom they're supposedly having over there, the fact that WA is the nest best state behind NSW and Qld with player representation in the NRL (Daniel Holdsworth, Matt Petersen and someone else I think) and has a pretty good junior comp, also the western force has had pretty good support in the s14 and the afl are considering putting another team there so it couldn't be that overcrowded.
by 2015 the nrl could expand to 20 teams, admitting the wellington orcas and either an adelaide team or another se qld team (i would go with another se qld team).

NK Arsenal

Juniors
My 20 Team Comp:

NSW: Roosters, Bulldogs, Knights, Panthers, Eels, Dragons, Tigers, Sea Eagles, Sharks and Central Coast Rabbitohs.
QLD: Brisbane, North Queensland, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast.
NZ: Auckland and Wellington.
VIC: Melbourne.
SA: Adelaide.
WA: Perth.
ACT: Canberra.

BrisVegas

Juniors
The only way a team will be playing full time out of the Central Coast is the relocation of a Sydney based side. League is already the no.1 game there, so the potential of selling more payTV subscriptions is low, and the region has no-where near the corporate support or exposure for sponsers of places such as Wellington or Perth. When the NRL accepts proposals for new sides in 2010 the first thing they will ask themselves is "Which proposals are going to increase our financial situation?" The NRL's highest source of income is TV rights, and "Another NSW side" is not the answer.

music_2000

Juniors
BrisVegas said:
The only way a team will be playing full time out of the Central Coast is the relocation of a Sydney based side. League is already the no.1 game there, so the potential of selling more payTV subscriptions is low, and the region has no-where near the corporate support or exposure for sponsers of places such as Wellington or Perth. When the NRL accepts proposals for new sides in 2010 the first thing they will ask themselves is "Which proposals are going to increase our financial situation?" The NRL's highest source of income is TV rights, and "Another NSW side" is not the answer.

sadly the people of Gosford are taking a liking to the Mariners in the A-league. NRL better do something about it

t-ba

Post Whore
music_2000 said:
sadly the people of Gosford are taking a liking to the Mariners in the A-league. NRL better do something about it

ROFLMAO. The Mariners managed 7000 on average through there gates last year. About as many as the Neagles averaged in the year that Norths left the joint venture and the CC boycotted the club ;-).

t-ba

Post Whore
Ultimately what I would like to see:

5x QLD
1x WA
1x VIC
2x NZ
10x NSW/ACT

greenhat

Juniors
Bronx Goodwin is from WA too, magpie_man
raiders PL fullback (but he's really good and will be a first grader soon)

dimitri

First Grade
greenhat said:
Bronx Goodwin is from WA too, magpie_man
raiders PL fullback (but he's really good and will be a first grader soon)

there are heaps of players from perth running around in the nrl!!!

Kurt Angle

First Grade
You should of seen how many WA players there were before 1997.

The battle ground back in 1994/5 was Perth.

RL in Perth was more popular than AFL in Sydney or Brisbane.

With the 20 team expansion and an international scene, RL was very very close to becoming the undoubted dominant sport in Australia.

Now, RL in Perth is the size of a week district comp in Sydney.

I used to play in Canterbury Districts for Moorebank.

You'd have Moorebank, Greenacre, Bankstown sports, Milperra, Chester Hill, etc

That A grade comp there is stronger than what the entire Perth comp is now.

The solution is simple as follows

1) Merge Parramatta and Penrith - Parramatta Panthers
2) Split up Wests Tigers
3) Merge Wests with Bulldogs - play at Campbelltown as Wests Bulldogs
4) Merge Souths and Norths - play on Central coast as CC Norths Rabbitohs
5) Relocate Balmain to Perth - WA Tigers
6) Relocate Cronulla to Adelaide - SA SHARKS
7) Rename Melbourne Storm - VIC Storm
8) New Team in Tasmania - Tasmanian Devils

greeneyed

First Grade
People who think that the next team should come from some suburb or coastal hamlet in NSW or Queensland are crazy. TV rights are driven by national TV audiences. The national TV audience is measured by the network audience. That must AT LEAST include Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth. Perth is a massive new market, to ignore it is crazy. We need national reach. The next two teams MUST be in Perth and Adelaide. If other areas get teams if must be from relocated Sydney teams.

LESStar58

Referee
t-ba said:
ROFLMAO. The Mariners managed 7000 on average through there gates last year. About as many as the Neagles averaged in the year that Norths left the joint venture and the CC boycotted the club ;-).

Exactly...... the 2nd worst average for a team in the gAy-League....

Were the NRL to use their heads and get a team resurected there they'd hvae no trouble taking the crowds away from the Mariners!

greenhat

Juniors
my two cents:

The NRLs strategy has been to tighten their grip on the east coast as a defence against the AFL - with a long term view to moving out from that as a solid base in future

with that in mind, you'd have to say CC seems like the next choice, because of the A-league presence there. But that will really depend on how the A-league goes for the next few years
if support for soccer drops off dramatically now the world cup is over, then i'd think perth moves ahead in urgency (unless you think the western force have totally killed any prospects - ive never been to perth i dont know)

theres always the possibilty that a sydney team will move to the CC too, tho now souths seems to have got his sh*t together theres no obvious option there

i can't see that the next team will be another QLD one when the titans are just starting

and a 2nd NZ team would be risky,
it could be a good idea in that it would improve the NZ national side (and therefore the profile of international league), but i think it will be put on the back burner because theres not the urgency of competition from AFL or soccer there

BrisVegas

Juniors
greenhat said:
my two cents:
The NRLs strategy has been to tighten their grip on the east coast as a defence against the AFL - with a long term view to moving out from that as a solid base in future

with that in mind, you'd have to say CC seems like the next choice, because of the A-league presence there. But that will really depend on how the A-league goes for the next few years
if support for soccer drops off dramatically now the world cup is over, then i'd think perth moves ahead in urgency (unless you think the western force have totally killed any prospects - ive never been to perth i dont know)

theres always the possibilty that a sydney team will move to the CC too, tho now souths seems to have got his sh*t together theres no obvious option there

i can't see that the next team will be another QLD one when the titans are just starting

and a 2nd NZ team would be risky,
it could be a good idea in that it would improve the NZ national side (and therefore the profile of international league), but i think it will be put on the back burner because theres not the urgency of competition from AFL or soccer there

The NRL has a tight grip on the East Coast with the inclusion of the Titans. The only thing needed is a second Brisbane/SE-QLD team to have a game in Brisbane every week and create an inter-city rivalry (should be looking at this in about 10 years time once the Titans are entrenched). If you think the AFL will put a team on the Central Coast you are mad, it would be like the NRL basing a team out of Geelong.

The NRL is now concerning themselves with increasing their revenue generated by the sale of the TV rights, and increasing the exposure of sponsors to new markets.

The only way a team will be playing full time out of the Central Coast is the relocation of a Sydney based side. League is already the no.1 game there TV ratings wise, and the region has no-where near the corporate support or exposure for sponsers of places such as Wellington or Perth.

When the NRL accepts proposals for new sides in 2010 the first thing they will ask themselves is "Which proposals are going to increase our financial situation?" The NRL's highest source of income is TV rights, "Another NSW side" is not the answer to this question. Eventually a Sydney side will be under financial pressure from being located in such a competitive market and the money on offer from the NRL for relocation and the huge untapped juniors base will become an opportunity too rich to pass up. From 2007 a CC team no longer has to be called the Bears or play in their strip, so the issue will sort itself out over time.

For this reason the next 2 teams to be included will likely include Perth, given it's positive reception to a non-AFL sport in Union.

I would guess that Wellington will be given serious consideration as NZ is producing large numbers of quality players, a second team will strengthen NZ for international games, and intrest in league would be stronger if the Warriors are travelling poorly. I truely believe however, that with the Warriors finally getting their front office in order that they will fulfilling their promise of becoming a permenant force in the NRL which they came so close to doing in the past.

Does anyone know if the TV rights in NZ are bundled with the rights sold in Australia, or if they are negotiated seperately?

I posted earlier that I forsee the NRL developing into an 18 team comp as such by about 2020:

North QLD
Brisbane
SE QLD/Sunshine Coast/Brisbane II (Possibly a relocated Sydney team)
Gold Coast
Central Coast (A relocated Sydney team)
Newcastle
Canberra
Sydney x7 (2 teams to relocate/joint-venture/go broke)
Melbourne
Perth
Auckland
Wellington