What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hang your head Sydney

babyg

Juniors
I think Sydney sux in general. Most of your NRL teams have the lowest crowd figues also, so you can't go there. Half of that 25k were Poms so really 12.5k went. I think you have to take it away from Sydney. They do watch it on TV, so would watching a 50,000 test at Suncorp make you want to be there for the next one. Couldn't even sell out Origin.

langpark

First Grade
if i could put this whole thing further into perspective, Georgia got over 25,000 for a rugby league test against Russia! A higher turnout than arguably the two top teams in the world in wat you would think was the RL capital of the world

Misty Bee said:
The Poms and the Kangaroos play a test in Brisbane - it's televised, and no one knows about it????

Piss poor excuse.
It was probably the least publicised Test match in history. It was the only one played in Australia in that Tri-series, it was the old Lang Park (which at the time wasn't even a regular league venue) the GB team were relative unknowns, none played in the NRL (this was the first time Morley became noticed) and the Aussies had been beaten the week before.
This was a year before the World Cup and we know what happened there. You can't compare Brisbane in 1999 with Sydney in 2006. If that game had been played in Sydney in 1999 they would have been lucky to get 20,000.
The worst thing about this week's crowd was that there were heaps of Poms there on Saturday, far more than when they played in 2002, yet the crowd was more than 6,000 down on that game.

Lantana said:
Surely, more internationals in Sydney, not less is how this will turn around.

There is no excuse for not going on Saturday night and it has been poor in the past but seriously Sydney has had two Kangaroo internationals in 5 years?

if you want to build support you don't take the game away, you increase it's frequency. Yes/No?

(Short term pain, long term gain)
Sydney gets more Tests than anywhere else. They hosted the Kiwis in 1999 and 2000, the Poms in 2002, the Kiwis again in 2003, the Kiwis last year, and the Poms again this year. In that time Brisbane has hosted three Tests. In that time Sydney has averaged about 26 or 28k, Brisbane 32k and that's including the 1999 game v GB that drew 12k. In that time the profile of international footy has had its ups and downs but has generally improved. The Sydney crowds have remained poor, in fact Saturday night was the worst yet. Brisbane - from that 1999 Test to this year's Anzac - has grown by 350%. Melbourne outdid Sydney a few weeks ago. Also, Newcastle's capacity is now 26k so it could have drawn a better crowd than Sydney on Saturday. Townsville could have also.

griff

Bench
You would think that there are at least 40-50,000 season ticket holders in the Sydney area (incl. Newcastle & Woolongong), if not more.

Why didn't each season ticket holder and anyone that bought a ticket to Origin get bombarded with direct mail advertising the game?

JK

innsaneink said:
That said, after spending near $100 to watch that tripe, I'd have to seriously reconsider going again in future.

Tripe? :?

A fantastic game played with passion within the conditions. I've paid more for worse games...

In any case C reserve were $25 each. That is ridiculously cheap!

SGID

First Grade
Instead of offending the good folk of Sydney who actually attended, like myself who bought my tickets the very day they went on sale and who genuinely looks forward to attending Intl League matches, get stuck into the ARL who charging ridiculous prices for entrance.

It is so much easier, safer and cheaper these days to sit at home and watch it on the tele, why would anyone make their effort out there when they can watch it all at home live on tele ?

Personally I love watching league at the venue, but society has changed.

The ARL need to keep up with changing demographics of todays society.

Jeffles

Bench
The prices are cheap for the quality of the game (ie. internationals). I don't think price has anything to do with it.

ali

Bench
SGID said:
Instead of offending the good folk of Sydney who actually attended, like myself who bought my tickets the very day they went on sale and who genuinely looks forward to attending Intl League matches, get stuck into the ARL who charging ridiculous prices for entrance.

It is so much easier, safer and cheaper these days to sit at home and watch it on the tele, why would anyone make their effort out there when they can watch it all at home live on tele ?

Personally I love watching league at the venue, but society has changed.

The ARL need to keep up with changing demographics of todays society.

It was $25 FFS. That is not expensive by world standards, and not even expensive in comparison to NRL games.

The problem was the negative Sydney media!

Sam_the_man

First Grade
ali said:
It was $25 FFS. That is not expensive by world standards, and not even expensive in comparison to NRL games.

The problem was the negative Sydney media!

Tickets were only $25?????

The tickets i brought for the Christchurch game NZ v GB were $52. They were the cheap onces...the expnsive onces were $65.
Whats going on with that?

I love hearing the brisbane fans complain about poor crowds in sydney and how brisbane is a true 'heartland' , their own team wouldnt allow any another team(s) in the whole south east qld market! thats 2.5 million people the broncos have had to themselves!

with only 12-15 games a year , is anyone surprised they get better crowds to test matches than sydney?! sydney has upwards of 120 games a year, it stands to reason that after a long NRL season some fans are a bit worn out.

sure , i think sydney can and should do a lot better for crowds. when the ARL do such a poor job of marketing it , add in bad weather and the Fien Incident that dominated the headlines here in sydney all week, that resulted in the old bashing of international rugby league by the usual supects, it doesnt really surprise me only 25000 turned up.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
herbert henry1908 said:
I love hearing the brisbane fans complain about poor crowds in sydney and how brisbane is a true 'heartland' , their own team wouldnt allow any another team(s) in the whole south east qld market! thats 2.5 million people the broncos have had to themselves!

with only 12-15 games a year , is anyone surprised they get better crowds to test matches than sydney?! sydney has upwards of 120 games a year, it stands to reason that after a long NRL season some fans are a bit worn out.

sure , i think sydney can and should do a lot better for crowds. when the ARL do such a poor job of marketing it , add in bad weather and the Fien Incident that dominated the headlines here in sydney all week, that resulted in the old bashing of international rugby league by the usual supects, it doesnt really surprise me only 25000 turned up.
Are you saying Sydney should cut down on the number of NRL games/teams it has? I think that's what you're saying but I can't be too sure with all the bleating and excuses in there.