What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hang your head Sydney

carlnz

Bench
Sounds like some poor excuses coming out at the moment…

The facts are, in the last two years Sydney has had Two Test Matches (which they both lost) and have only attracted 24,995 and 28,255 against the Kiwis last year.

Yet they still get the final?

When you got a city like Chch that has no professional footy, battles Rugby still gets 17,005 people to a test match against a City which has 11 times the population!!! Sydney should not get a test match until the World Cup in 2008.

In the NZ papers today it was said that they need to sell at least half the tickets at every match this year to make a profit. Per ticket the sell they make a $7 profit compare to the NRL who makes $11 a head during the season.

So far we have had:
20,000 Auckland
30,000 Melbourne
17,005 Christchurch, and
24,995 in Sydney.

Total of 92,000 people so far at a profit of $644,000 on ticket sales alone……At the last two tri nations in GB they have made $3million profit because of exchange rate etc etc….

20,000 tickets have been sold for Brisbane so far, and we are expecting 25,000 at Wellington next week. Lets hope we can get at least 40,000 plus for the final.

deluded pom? said:
34 strapping young men playing with their balls surely? Well 17 strapping young Poms and 17 dicks should have got them through the gate :lol: :lol: :lol:
So which 17 players have the dicks exactly:?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Well the final better get at least 35-40,000, I dont know what we've got to do to get a near capacity crowd at Aussie.

Other people in Sydney, get your @rses out there to Aussie Stadium to the Tri Nations final on Nov 25, regardless of who Australia plays, this is gonna be a great clash. There's no Soccer, the Swans, or the bloody Waratahs, and the cricket wont start till Jan. So BE THERE!!!.

eels_fan_01

Bench
pcpp said:
Auckland - 1 million - Not league heartland - 20,000
Melbourne - 3.5 million - Not league heartland - 30,000+
Christchurch - 360,000 - Not league heartland - 17,000

:|

Didnt they have a rain all day before the match? Do they have the final there so it splits up fans? I rest my case? If we dont pack the final than critise us but for now take the facts.

JW

Coach
eels_fan_01 said:
Didnt they have a rain all day before the match? Do they have the final there so it splits up fans? I rest my case? If we dont pack the final than critise us but for now take the facts.

Eels, it's not like this is the first time mate.

salivor

First Grade
What is it with Sydney fans and their continual excuses why fans don't attend games? Excuses why you couldn't sell out your one and only Origin game this year, excuses why there were empty seats at the GF, excuses why you couldn't get fans to the finals series matches and now excuses why you couldn't get a decent crowd to a test match. So just how do you get fans to a game in Sydney these days? Oh I know, tell them that the Swans or Warratahs are playing.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
carlnz said:
When you got a city like Chch that has no professional footy, battles Rugby still gets 17,005 people to a test match against a City which has 11 times the population!!! Sydney should not get a test match until the World Cup in 2008.
You were making good ground up until then.
Its absurd to kill off Test football in Sydney for two seasons because, by your assessment, a crowd of 25,000 isnt big enough.

carlnz said:
So far we have had:
20,000 Auckland
30,000 Melbourne
17,005 Christchurch, and
24,995 in Sydney.
Close, but not accurate. In particular, Auckland had 17,887.

Tri-Nations crowd figures to date:
Auckland: 17,887
Melbourne: 30,732
Christchurch: 17,005
Sydney: 24,953

philstorm

Juniors
If people complain about moving Origin games to Melbourne, why cant Melbourne be given a large amount of the International Matches instead then?

Crippler

Juniors
i noticed noone supported australia on a whole.

everyone booing mason, parra fans booing Lyon, people ripping into gasnier when he got injured.

very club centric the sydney crowd was

salivor

First Grade
Willow said:
Close, but not accurate. In particular, Auckland had 17,887.

Tri-Nations crowd figures to date:
Auckland: 17,887
Melbourne: 30,732
Christchurch: 17,005
Sydney: 24,953

It eventuated shortly after that the crowd initially reported for the Auckland match was incorrect and it was actually 20k.

salivor

First Grade
Crippler said:
i noticed noone supported australia on a whole.

everyone booing mason, parra fans booing Lyon, people ripping into gasnier when he got injured.

very club centric the sydney crowd was

There were also boos everytime Hunt took the ball up.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
salivor said:
It eventuated shortly after that the crowd initially reported for the Auckland match was incorrect and it was actually 20k.
Fair dinkum? It still has it as 17,887 on the stadium website. Have you got a link?

salivor

First Grade
Willow said:
Fair dinkum? It still has it as 17,887 on the stadium website. Have you got a link?

Google didn't shed any light but there was definetly a thread on it around here somewhere.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
philstorm said:
If people complain about moving Origin games to Melbourne, why cant Melbourne be given a large amount of the International Matches instead then?
I suspect that anyone who complains about an Origin game being played in Melbourne are on a losing argument.

I think more represntative League in Melbourne would be great. But.... it may be that the mix with Melbourne is just about right at the moment. Too much, and it the crowds might start to spread across matches? I can imagine the issues trying to prove the doubters wrong if League crowds in Melbourne started dropping. Build it up by all means, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
salivor said:
Google didn't shed any light but there was definetly a thread on it around here somewhere.
Thanks for that.
Unless I have something substantial, its a little hard to change it at this end. More than happy to be shown otherwise and I'll have a look around later on.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Posts in forums are not really enough to change figures - this is one reason why we ask people to source their claims (quite regularly). The austadiums website (that most people use) is a pretty reputable source but offcourse, they are not perfect.

Here's something more substantial to back you up:
...the turnout for the Tri-Nations opener in Auckland on October 14 was cause for concern as well.

About 17,500 turned up at Mt Smart Stadium, an improvement on the 15,000 last year but still unsatisfactory given the Australian claim they could expect crowds of up to 25,000 in their preferred venues.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3839755a10713,00.html

And then there was this:
The original gate at Mt Smart, Auckland, for game one was also disappointing, but the NZRL hs released a revised figure of 20,000, which meets expectations.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3851140a10713,00.html

Looks like NZRL are the source and we'll see if we can get an accurate figure on Monday.

mcbulldog

Juniors
far out sydney fans, get off your friggin arses and go to the footy! whoever didn't go last night missed an awesome game....you can't use the rain as an excuse, it's just bloody water!.....
the almost 25,000 last night made heaps of noise and provided a good atmosphere, but it woulda been even better if it was full!...
the members side looked fairly empty as well, what was going on there?
and i wish sydney people could forget their club loves/hates for a while, how can you boo our australian captain for being a queenslander?

salivor

First Grade
Carlnz's comments as you say though have been backed up by your stuff.co.nz link which sourses from the nations newspapers.

At the end of the day though, 17k or 20k, doesn't matter when you're comparing populations of 1 million for Auckland and 350,000 for Christchurch to 4 million for Sydney. Now both Auckland and Christchurch are Rugby Union heartlands and for Sydney to only get 5-8k more when it claims to be Rugby League heartland is a pretty piss poor effort.

Melbourne managed to pull in more fans and I'm quite confident that Wellington will go close to Sydney's figure as well. 2 cities with very little Rugby League heritage or tradition, doesn't reflect well on our heartland.

The Tri Nations organisers have really missed a great opportunity with the final. Instead of having Suncorp Stadium packed to the rafters we'll have to find a range of excuses for why we couldn't sell out the SFS.