What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hannay Bannished

Inferno

Coach
FORMER Queensland centre Josh Hannay insists he will not be railroaded into retirement by the Sharks as he confronts the ignominy of being dumped to park football.

In a remarkable fall from grace, Hannay has been banished to the Gymea Gorillas in the Cronulla local league, 10 months after featuring in Queensland's stunning last-gasp defeat of NSW in the Origin decider in Melbourne. Hannay's career at the Sharks suffered a terminal blow on Tuesday when he, former Broncos playmaker Brett Seymour and back-rower Mick Greenfield were told by Cronulla boss Greg Pierce they were not in the club's long-term plans.

Unless Hannay can secure a new deal elsewhere, the 27-year-old risks spending the next year as the Gorillas' $150,000 recruit.

Seymour, meanwhile, has been despatched to the Engadine Dragons.

Incredibly, the pair will lock horns today when the Gorillas face the Dragons at Anzac Oval.

The demotion of the pair comes just six months after Hannay and Seymour signed deals with the Sharks under former coach Stuart Raper, who was subsequently sacked in favour of Kangaroos mentor Ricky Stuart.

"I don't know how long this will last but our next game is park footy. It's ridiculous," Hannay told The Sunday Mail.
"It's certainly not a form issue. I don't think I'm going that bad that I belong back in the park.

"The funny thing is we've been told we're not required in Premier League either.
"Last year I was playing Origin, now I'll be running around with Gymea Gorillas or Helensburgh Goannas or whoever they are.

"I haven't thought too much about the prospect of park footy. I haven't played park footy since I was 15, but I'll ride this out and do what's needed for me to make sure I see every cent of this contract I'm committed to."

Breaking his silence by speaking to The Sunday Mail, Seymour admitted he fears for his National Rugby League future after being given the cold shoulder by the Sharks.

"I'm a bit worried, I don't know what options I have but hopefully it doesn't end like this," Seymour, who played three NRL games this season, said.

"It's a bit of a kick in the guts but I'm not going to be bitter about it.

"I'll go back to park footy and make sure I earn the money I'm contracted for.

"I didn't see it coming but I guess I'm not too surprised. We signed before Ricky (Stuart) got here and obviously we don't fit into his plans."

Sharks coach Ricky Stuart defended the decision to release the pair.

"It's nothing personal," Stuart said. "I've had a chat with Brett and he understood the situation. At the end of the day, as new coach here I'm trying to build the best I team I can to get the results I'm after."

The writing on the wall for Hannay came last month when he was axed from the top grade after just three appearances.
"I probably have every right to feel as though I didn't get a fair shot. I wouldn't say three games into a season is a fair crack at showing my wares," Hannay said.

"I wouldn't say I'm filthy, I'm not the type of bloke to get too down on anything.

"I sort of just take what life throws at you. Sometimes it's rosy and sometimes you have your disappointments.

"But this is definitely disappointing. I never thought I'd be shown the door six months after signing with the club.
"Regardless of how I've been playing in Premier League, it seemed like I was banging my head against a brick wall a bit.

"Greg (Pierce) said we weren't seen as part of the future although they fully intended to honour our contracts. I haven't requested a release but they said they were going to try some new guys."
Despite being shunned by the Sharks, the Moranbah junior, who played two Origin matches in 2003 and '06, insists his career is not over.

"Retirement is not an option at this stage," the veteran of 153 NRL games said.

"I firmly believe I have some good footy in me. Whether I go here or overseas I'm unsure.

"Maybe a move to England – a change of scenery and new challenges over there is the way I'm leaning. But I wouldn't shut the door on anything out here."

Source: http://www.news.com.au/sundaymail/story/0,23739,21837486-5003409,00.html

Gymea Gorrillas aye, looks like he will be linking up with Raper. I never really rated Hannay, and I am glad he isn't in PL holding back someone who actually has a future here.

BWNB

First Grade
Good for the Gorillas but it doesn't look good how we treat our players.

Inferno

Coach
Happens at every club when a new coach comes on board, he gets rid of the players don't suit what he is trying to achieve. Happened when Ando came on board, happened at Newcastle and is now happening here. It shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone.

fizman

Bench
I feel sorry for them as well. I guess though, they are free agents and any NRL club who wants them can have them. To this point, there isn't anyone knocking the door down, so that sort of says alot.

Foz

Bench
Selections will be interesting this week.
Looks like Fraser Anderson will be gone for a while.
Possibility of an origin back rower as well.Will they pick Reece in the centres?
Stephenson showed enough to get a dig too(back row or centre).
Hope Thommo's back.
You'd think Hannay would at least return to premier League but maybe its not a form issue.

tye

Juniors
I watched Hannay play premier league against the dogs and thought he went good, scored from a great chip and chase. Gee we could of done with his experience in the closing stages last night. I reckon he has been toughly treated.

Quigs

Immortal
He is in good company at Gymea.

They had a lot of great players over the years - - including that barnstorming second rower from the early seventies - Quigs

Cheers from Modesty Central
Declared Idiot #88 and fat Controller
Quigs

Snorkleburger

Juniors
fizman said:
I feel sorry for them as well. I guess though, they are free agents and any NRL club who wants them can have them. To this point, there isn't anyone knocking the door down, so that sort of says alot.
Mate I feel sorry for them, but I also feel sorry for the fans. When they were signed most of us on here thought they were 2 good buys and the people responsible were buying quality (don't just blame Raper). Here we are, our big signings playing PARK footy!!!!!Unbelievable???:x

Quigs

Immortal
runatme said:
might walk up to anzac oval and see seymour play

Is it on Fox

I have fond memories of Old Anzac Oval - dislocated my left kneecap there.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88 and Fat controller
Quigs

Quigs

Immortal
Was intesting times young runatme.

Was in the process of distributing some summary justice to the opposing prop who gropped at me face in a scrum.

I was landing some good ones on his jaw but was going down and didn't know why .... it was my new addidas boots with the long spriggs that failed to twist in the damp sand as I twisted my left leg. Popsy went the kneecap.

Not the prettiest sight in the world either - especially when it was your own leg youse are looking at.

Dislocated the right kneecap same year - a few games into my comeback... wierd year that one. Was playing for the gold and greens of Sylvania Heights.

But again great memories.

Grade above us had a couple of handy players - a bloke called Kneen and a bloke called Richard Thackary. Both very handy and both enjoyable to watch.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88 and Fat Controller
Quigs

runatme

Bench
quigs i have a feeling u may have played against my old man at some stage he played for the mighty como-jannali

evv

Juniors
i was at the game today. seymour didnt play but hannay did. he scored a mad try from 60 out. he beat about 3 players. didnt do much else though. came off with 15 to go.

Quigs

Immortal
runatme said:
quigs i have a feeling u may have played against my old man at some stage he played for the mighty como-jannali

Sorry forumites for wondering off topic..... us old blokes can wonder a little.

Now that old Como Oval brings back the memories... was it called Scilla Bay or something like that. It was down next to the bridge.

remember getting pelted (well one glass) was thrown from the embankment onto the oval when us Gymea blokes were putting the cleaners through CJ. The embankment across the road from the Como Pub.

Ref stopped play and order the offender off the ground - so I guess he went / staggered back into the pub.

I think we were only under 17's then.

Was your dear old dad an aggressive type - there were a few of the in the jannali como gang. Sutherland had a few short of the fuse section too in the old days. I blame their role models myself.

I think it was Old 73 that used to hang out of the windows at the Royal at Sutho - desperado.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88 and Fat Controller
Quigs