What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harold Matthews and SG Ball Discussion Thread

half_back

Juniors
Regan is the only person (possible half) in the Matts at the moment that is taking the line on. He has good vision and ability and can move into the forwards later in the game if needed. He is the best option at the moment and I can't see that change unless the other half possibilities step up. He also kept up his try scoring ability against Canberra as a half. The option is having a stronger attack and have a weak defence by using one of the smaller halves or having a strong defence and spread the attacking responsibility over a few players. I guess the real test will be in todays game.

Looking forward to some awesome footy today. Penrith by 6 in the matts. I think the Ball game could blow out one way or other. Lots of points should be scored (depending on rain). Look out for a gun second rower for parra in the ball, not sure of his name but he has been highly regarded.

Dont get me wrong I rate Reegan exremely highly and think he is defintely one who could make it all the way, but his first instinct is to run then pass which is what you want from a ball playing lock. Not ideal when you have strike power in Wilson and Hetrick out wide. He can come in and take the pressure off a 7 but shouldnt be limited to that.

Today should be a good game. Footyboy is spot on bout Parra outside backs Vai (NSW CHS) is a monster and was unlucky not to make Oz Schoolboys but beaten to it by Gagan (parra fullback) and of course Soane NSW CCC, McGuinnes, parra half and NSW CHS 7 and Graham Parra 6 and NSW CCC 6. So plenty of talent in both teams. Just think without a recognised 7 Penrtih lack a little. Could come down to Penrith forwards Vs Parra Backs

Last edited:

isaiah

Bench
Dont get me wrong I rate Reegan exremely highly and think he is defintely one who could make it all the way, but his first instinct is to run then pass which is what you want from a ball playing lock. Not ideal when you have strike power in Wilson and Hetrick out wide. He can come in and take the pressure off a 7 but shouldnt be limited to that.

Today should be a good game. Footyboy is spot on bout Parra outside backs Vai (NSW CHS) is a monster and was unlucky not to make Oz Schoolboys but beaten to it by Gagan (parra fullback) and of course Soane NSW CCC, McGuinnes, parra half and NSW CHS 7 and Graham Parra 6 and NSW CCC 6. So plenty of talent in both teams. Just think without a recognised 7 Penrtih lack a little. Could come down to Penrith forwards Vs Parra Backs

how did they go?

isaiah

Bench
Very True half back
Although today against Parramatta, the centre Pairing of Wilson and Heterick will come up against some tough opponents Soane Manumua(NSWCCC) and another big centre named VAI.

I can honestly say that the parramatta forward pack are inadequate to that of the Penrith Forward pack, but looking through the squad and knowing there strengths through playing with them, this is probably the strongest forward pack they could have but we are yet to see:
8. Tai Tuivasa
9. Joel Waddell/ Nelson Tuia
10. Jason Doran
11. Tevita Vave
12. Jason Antonelli
13. Reece Regan

Also half back you made a point of Regan being #7.
Reece has good balls skills and can really defend but he is definately not a halfbacks build or experienced in that position.

Also at Patties, there will also be a few more 16 year olds to debut in Arrive Alive this year.

:):)

did you overrate the penrith forwards or undervalue those of the eels?
parra 28-6 with the front row outstanding

lizziebra

Juniors

Didn't rate the Penrith forwards at all - Parra were all over them. Played smarter and as a unit.

See 8 get crass cut - then complain a while later about dropping the ball.

No discipline.

sweet-as

Juniors
Didn't rate the Penrith forwards at all - Parra were all over them. Played smarter and as a unit.

See 8 get crass cut - then complain a while later about dropping the ball.

No discipline.

Yeh Penrith really were pathetic today, Big Tai Must of made 8 mistakes and penlties, The rest of the forward pack were given limited opportunities, the hooker/halve/5-8 combo sucked and Penrith just looked dead on their feet after the first 10minutes.
Big let down considering how highly I have rated them over the last month.:(

mxlegend99

Referee
Absolutely pathetic stuff from the young blokes. Hopefully it was a one off and we are back to form next week. The Eels have some great players... so it's not like we lost to a bunch of nuffies.

footyboy7

Juniors

No, actually today Parra played with more structure then Penrith, in HM.
Jacob Gagan(EELS #1) superstar.
Penrith forwards didnt really have a go and both teams dropped a lot of ball.

In the SG Ball, Parramatta dominated Penrith, Blake Austin played really well for a losing side, and he was really all i noticed. Besides that Parra were two steps ahead of Penrith the whole game.
Dont understand why Harry Seijka only played half a game, niggling injuries i suppose.

Ihope Penrith will be ready next time these heavyweights meet.

isaiah

Bench
No, actually today Parra played with more structure then Penrith, in HM.
Jacob Gagan(EELS #1) superstar.
Penrith forwards didnt really have a go and both teams dropped a lot of ball.

In the SG Ball, Parramatta dominated Penrith, Blake Austin played really well for a losing side, and he was really all i noticed. Besides that Parra were two steps ahead of Penrith the whole game.
Dont understand why Harry Seijka only played half a game, niggling injuries i suppose.

Ihope Penrith will be ready next time these heavyweights meet.

might only be one heavyweight, lol
its only a 9 game season?
panthers will have to make the finals to get another crack

half_back

Juniors
While not happy bout it Im not suprised with the outcome as I thought Parra would win comfortbaly today. This will be the trend for Penrith unfortunately. Any team, and there are a few, Illawarra, Newcastle, Parra possibly Dogs who can cut down their big men aka Tai will dominate them. As I said and it was pointed out again by sweet as their complete lack of a 6,7 and 9 will kill them time and time again. There game plan is non existant so dont be to harsh on the boys there are no set instructions for them to follow on the field and this is causing angst amongst the players and some staff.

sweet-as

Juniors
While not happy bout it Im not suprised with the outcome as I thought Parra would win comfortbaly today. This will be the trend for Penrith unfortunately. Any team, and there are a few, Illawarra, Newcastle, Parra possibly Dogs who can cut down their big men aka Tai will dominate them. As I said and it was pointed out again by sweet as their complete lack of a 6,7 and 9 will kill them time and time again. There game plan is non existant so dont be to harsh on the boys there are no set instructions for them to follow on the field and this is causing angst amongst the players and some staff.

I think both Penrith coaches need to stop following everything they coach, straight from a coaching manual and teach these kids some good old smart, simple, effective play.

isaiah

Bench

mate, its only a 9 game season and they get the dogs and steelers in weeks to come, but they will only meet the knights in the finals, if they make it.
pencil in week 5 as a danger, v the titans at betty diamond

footyboy7

Juniors
Isaiah WE know its a 9 game season lol.
And yes half back if they cut down Tai they cut down the team.
And it is also true that the team has no stucture or game plan or even planned moves. as the coach is a more "play it as it comes to you" kind of guy.

I dont know if anyone else has heard this, but when i was at the game yesterday i overheard a Penrith official saying that the Penrith Harold Matthews Coach, George Zahra? is only a 4th Division Emu Plains coach in the Penrith comp.

half_back

Juniors
Im interested to hear peoples thoughts on how individuals performed yesterday as I had to be at another game. Ive heard many reports through on the game in general but not on specific inidivdual performances from the Penrith boys.

Flasha

Juniors
The Matts game was fight club. Very disappointing. They dropped their bundle and just wanted to start fights when they couldn't control the ball. Every time a message was sent out from the trainers for a set of six they would drop the ball and then try and fight themselves or the opposition. Parra were well drilled and the fullback tore the Matts apart. Discipline does seem to be an issue.

The ball just didn't turn up. Referee was ordinary but they just lacked structure. Harry was pulled due to a knee injury it seems. Parra dominated all facets of the game.

I think the touch ups in both grades may have been a blessing in disguise. After big wins against Canberra the week before the boys must have been thinking they are unbeatable. Now they have been brought back to earth hopefully they can start to focus and build on it and come out of it better teams.

sweet-as

Juniors
To be honest Parramatta were very ordinary in the matts game as well, their completion rate was poor, Just not as poor as Penrith's.
With the amount of chances Parramatta had, they should of been up 30-6 at half time. It seems like any team with lots of Islander boys have trouble with their discipine, both parra and penrith. I wouldn't be surprised if Newcastle knocks them both off later on in the year.

BOMAR

Juniors
Maybe the buck starts at the selectors and selection process. This year is the first time boys have not had to get selected from a train on squad. Only time will tell if this is a good thing. Also with the sg ball side their was only 8 selected from hm side 2007 who were grand finalists. Of this group 2or 3 were not in the starting line up each week and and 2 are a year younger.

sweet-as

Juniors
I dont think the selectors can be blames, I think its the coaching staff.
The players in the team are good enough to beat that parramatta side when they turn up to win, they just didn't yesterday.

It not like the penrith matts team was sh*t they just played sh*t,
Well thats my opinion