What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harragon v Carroll

Harragon or Carroll?

• Chief

Votes: 58 42.0%
  • Spud

Votes: 51 37.0%
  • Equal/ Who Cares?

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Luke Covell!

Votes: 21 15.2%

• Total voters

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Who remembers when Spud (playing for Souths), laid out one of the Warriors on the opening tackle of the match? The match stopped for a few minutes as he was stretchered off, and didn't return. IIRC I think it was Lomax.

The following week Souths played North Qld. In the week leading up to the game, Lomax's older brother was quoted in the press saying that he was going to take revenge on Spud.

Souths kicked off, Lomax took the first hitup, and Spud knocked him out. Lomax came on later in the second half, but couldn't continue.

_Johnsy

Referee
according to many one mistimed hit means a player is owned by the player he mistimed the hit on. amazing really.

RABK

Referee
Well considering it was Carroll raising his elbow slightly that knocked Chief out i don't think it's fair to say Carroll 'owned' Chief. If you don't believe me watch it on slow mo, you'll see that Carroll raises his arm and Chiefs head smashes into Carrolls elbow/Shoulder. Caroll flinched when he saw the Chief coming at 40 km/h!

Considering chief fell backwards form the KO elbow and Carroll actually went flying from chiefs shoulder i'd say Chief hit Carroll with more grunt in that tackle.

On Origin form - Chief is first forward picked for NSW in any all time great side. Chief was what Origin was all about. No one set the platform for a brutal Origin game quite like Chief.

I remember Webcke smashing Carroll in Origin, absolutely flattened him. Check the youtube big hits video, it's on there.

tiger_nick

Bench
chief was easily more consistant but when carroll got fired up there were few more destructive front rowers in the mid 90s. still love seeing the footage of that friday night at marathon.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Ziggy the God said:
Who remembers when Spud (playing for Souths), laid out one of the Warriors on the opening tackle of the match? The match stopped for a few minutes as he was stretchered off, and didn't return. IIRC I think it was Lomax.

The following week Souths played North Qld. In the week leading up to the game, Lomax's older brother was quoted in the press saying that he was going to take revenge on Spud.

Souths kicked off, Lomax took the first hitup, and Spud knocked him out. Lomax came on later in the second half, but couldn't continue.

That was David Lomax, and he never played for the Warriors.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Thankfully I have most manly newcastle games on vid/dvd

there were many occasions where these 2 men had great clashes. The most remembered is the game in 1995. In the first couple of minutes harragaon and carroll got into "a punch up". Harragon won the fight hands down!

Later there was the tackle where chief got knocked out. In the scrum before the kickoff, carroll headbutted harragon when harragon had his back turned. Carroll than told chief to run at him. From that massive clash, carroll ended up with 2 broken ribs and harragon was concussed, although he did continue playing after he was knocked out.

In the 1997 semi final, harragon brought the ball off his try line and carroll try tackling him. carroll was run over and fell to the ground a couple of times trying to get back onside as he was knocked out.

In the grand final carroll did a hitup off a tap and harragon SMASHED him! carroll played the poor in a terrible way and the knights got the penalty.

I can't think of any other time carroll did anything major to get one back up on harragon.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Bring it home Knights said:
Thankfully I have most manly newcastle games on vid/dvd

there were many occasions where these 2 men had great clashes. The most remembered is the game in 1995. In the first couple of minutes harragaon and carroll got into "a punch up". Harragon won the fight hands down!

Later there was the tackle where chief got knocked out. In the scrum before the kickoff, carroll headbutted harragon when harragon had his back turned. Carroll than told chief to run at him. From that massive clash, carroll ended up with 2 broken ribs and harragon was concussed, although he did continue playing after he was knocked out.

In the 1997 semi final, harragon brought the ball off his try line and carroll try tackling him. carroll was run over and fell to the ground a couple of times trying to get back onside as he was knocked out.

In the grand final carroll did a hitup off a tap and harragon SMASHED him! carroll played the poor in a terrible way and the knights got the penalty.

I can't think of any other time carroll did anything major to get one back up on harragon.
I need Youtube clips. Upload, upload, upload!

... Please? :oops:

effnic

Bench
I have the game on dvd where spud owned him. But its a close one spud infront by one vote.
While we are asking random questions What the f**k is a novacastrian? Its been pissing me off for a long time.

JJ

Immortal
I think there are a few (approx 37) here with rose coloured glasses regarding Spud

macavity

Referee
effnic said:
What the f**k is a novacastrian? Its been pissing me off for a long time.

a Novocastrian is your superior.

I cant believe this is even close - Spud was good, but Chief was a great.

macavity said:
a Novocastrian is your superior.

I cant believe this is even close - Spud was good, but Chief was a great.
If the poll is about pure ability then the chief bolts in,but if it is based on clashes between the pair then spud by a badly bruised nose.

Latest posts