What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has a coach ever been successful (won a comp) after being sacked?

images

I genuinely can’t think of any off-hand.. perhaps in England ??

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Ivan Cleary will win one and become the answer.

f**k you Wayne Scurrah. I just read Simon Mannering's book and for someone as non-outspoken as Simon, he's pretty strong on the fact we shat on the next 10 years (and counting) of our club by getting rid of Cleary.

Yes. 1956. Norm Tipping was the coach of the St George Dragons when they won the comp. At year's end he was sacked and replaced by Ken Kearney who became captain/coach from 1957-1961, and then non-playing coach in 1962.

Yes. 1956. Norm Tipping was the coach of the St George Dragons when they won the comp. At year's end he was sacked and replaced by Ken Kearney who became captain/coach from 1957-1961, and then non-playing coach in 1962.

cheers, who did tipping then go on to coach/win a comp with... assume after 1966 then?

cheers, who did tipping then go on to coach/win a comp with... assume after 1966 then?

Oops, sorry I mis-read your post :oops: I didn't notioce the bit about "sacked and then went on to win a comp." I mis-read it as "they were sacked after winning a comp". My bad.

Funnily enough, and with a little more research, it turns out my answer of "Norm Tipping" is still correct. :) He coached the St George Dragons to the first grade grand final in 1953, was sacked at seasons end and replaced by Ken Kearney for 1954-55, before he was re-appointed for 1956 and coached the Dragons to win the Grand Final. He was the replaced by Kearney for a final time for season 1957 onwards.

Source: https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/teams/st-george-dragons/coaches.html

Tipping never coached in first grade again after 1956, but coached the Dragons Under 21s side for the following decade before he quit coaching altogether. He was too much a St George man to coach against them by all reports.

Also obviously, based on the above info, another was Ken Kearney himself after being sacked at the end of 1955 for Tipping, before Tipping was sacked at the end of 1956 and Kearney was reappointed for 1957.

Last edited:

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Ivan Cleary will win one and become the answer.

f**k you Wayne Scurrah. I just read Simon Mannering's book and for someone as non-outspoken as Simon, he's pretty strong on the fact we shat on the next 10 years (and counting) of our club by getting rid of Cleary.

How it as bad thing to rid your club of an individual without any integrity and a lying piece of shit. I think it just avoided Cleary screwing the club over later

Oops, sorry I mis-read your post :oops: I didn't notioce the bit about "sacked and then went on to win a cop. I mis-read it as "they were sacked after winning a comp". My bad.

Funnily enough, and with a little more research, it turns out my answer of "Norm Tipping" is still correct. :) He coached the St George Dragons to the first grade grand final in 1953, was sacked at seasons end and replaced by Ken Kearney for 1954-55, before he was re-appointed for 1956 and coached the Dragons to win the Grand Final. He was the replaced by Kearney for a final time for season 1957 onwards.

Source: https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/teams/st-george-dragons/coaches.html

Tipping never coached in first grade again after 1956, but coached the Dragons Under 21s side for the following decade before he quit coaching altogether. He was too much a St George man to coach against them by all reports.

Also obviously, based on the above info, another was Ken Kearney himself after being sacked at the end of 1955 for Tipping, before Tipping was sacked at the end of 1956 and Kearney was reappointed for 1957.

Haha, cheers Captain. And sacked TWICE!

Second time around after winning a comp!

Can you imagine the rage from the saints-fan lynch mob at the end of 1956 if the front row forums or social media was around back then!

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
How it as bad thing to rid your club of an individual without any integrity and a lying piece of shit. I think it just avoided Cleary screwing the club over later

Tigers fan?

He was with us for about 12 years as a player and coach, and tried to stay. I don't think we'd have been in trouble of that.

adamkungl

Immortal
The ONLY coach in the NRL era who won their first premiership at their second (or third) club, is John Lang.

Sheens and Bennett have won premierships after leaving a club, but of course they had already won premierships before that.

So if Cleary manages to win it this year, it would be an interesting historical note. Also at Penrith, too.

Valheru

Coach
The ONLY coach in the NRL era who won their first premiership at their second (or third) club, is John Lang.

Sheens and Bennett have won premierships after leaving a club, but of course they had already won premierships before that.

So if Cleary manages to win it this year, it would be an interesting historical note. Also at Penrith, too.

Yeah isn't there some stat that if a coach doesn't win a comp in the first 3 years of their career or something close to that then they never will?

Cleary has a decent chance to break that trend.

Latest posts