What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has dropping the June 30 Deadline ruined the game?

The removal of the June 30

• Total voters

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm sure supporters of some clubs would echo my sentiments in saying that the removal of the June 30 poaching deadline has had an adverse affect on our game - players in some cases not playing at 100%...

Should we reinstate it?

The Colonel

Immortal
Make the Grand Final the deadline. Still gives at the least five months for players and clubs to sort their sh*t out.

julian87

Juniors
It hasn't ruined it, but it has made it f**king hard for fans. Watching someone play for you all season knowing next season he is gone would suck hardcore IMO.

innsaneink

Referee
It really doesnt matter when it is imo.
Theres no loyalty anywhere in the game anymore, bar some fans...contracts are worht toilet paper

Ice777

Bench
The Colonel said:
Make the Grand Final the deadline. Still gives at the least five months for players and clubs to sort their sh*t out.

Spot on. They say it doesn't give the payers enough time to work things out and get their affairs in order if they did it at that time of year but it seems to work just fine for the AFL, they've been doing it for years and they have no problem with it.

I know many here would hate to follow the lead of anything the AFL do, but like it or not they do some things better and IMO i think this is one of them. Some things they do wouldn't work in the NRL but i think this would although it'll never happen. The way the current system is now and also the old system for that matter is an absolute joke.

It's a disgraceful situation. The June 30 deadline wasn't a lot better, but the new free for all is terrible.
The only way for it to work and not cause these fan issues and possible team morale issues is to have it at the end of the season.
I don't want a transfer window like the EPL, and the only other method that works is the AFL scenario.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Whats the difference.

The headlines just change from "should sign" to "has signed". We all know that something is going on behind the scences.

Grail

Juniors
It's a grey area.
It hasn't ruined the game - that is too extreme, but it has affected it in a negative way. Yes, there is no loyalty (or very little) left in the game, but that doesn't mean that we should be forced to endure the crap that is going on.

I don't know if there is a satisfactory way of handling it though. Put in place a static date, and you'll always hear whispers that clubs and players are voiding it. Don't have one in place, and there's a bit of a media circus.

julian87 said:
It hasn't ruined it, but it has made it f**king hard for fans. Watching someone play for you all season knowing next season he is gone would suck hardcore IMO.

it does when they are one of the games elite, for example Scott Prince.

miccle

Bench
wrecked the game? Nuh!

All it's done has spread out the announcements. Yes, we're hearing about some transfers 10 weeks earlier than we would've done under the old laws. But it's easier for the fans imo - much more simple to keep track of 1-2 announcements per week rather than 40 in three days! :crazy:

jhonny bravo

Juniors
I agree that it may not be the best thing but if we reinstate the old system we just go back to having the same problems as before. The reason for the change in date (no date) was to stop the poaching of both Union and mainly the English Super League getting an unfair advantage over other NRL teams wanting someone for next season and not being able to offer them something. At the moment its a pretty level playing field in regards to teams knowing what is going on but does have an effect on the team current year if a particular player is leaving next year.
I think the best option is a week after the grand final and have a month period for the signing of new players. Also to stop player getting poached by the ESL or Union all players MUST sign an NRL contract stating the terms of ALL contracts, as you cannot sign with another club overseas, different sport, of like wise until say October 15. I think that may work then clubs go on and sign players as they like.

Billythekid

First Grade
Doesn't bother me. Now instead of months of rumors it's put straight out there and we can get on with the football.

I'm personally more concerned about what's been happening with coaches.

aarondoyle

Juniors
The Colonel said:

Exactly. David Gallop - take note.

jhonny bravo said:
I agree that it may not be the best thing but if we reinstate the old system we just go back to having the same problems as before. The reason for the change in date (no date) was to stop the poaching of both Union and mainly the English Super League getting an unfair advantage over other NRL teams wanting someone for next season and not being able to offer them something. At the moment its a pretty level playing field in regards to teams knowing what is going on but does have an effect on the team current year if a particular player is leaving next year.
I think the best option is a week after the grand final and have a month period for the signing of new players. Also to stop player getting poached by the ESL or Union all players MUST sign an NRL contract stating the terms of ALL contracts, as you cannot sign with another club overseas, different sport, of like wise until say October 15. I think that may work then clubs go on and sign players as they like.

I doubt that is legally viable.

Rohan

Juniors
I dont think the scrapping of the deadline is the real problem.

The real problem is the current system which gives the player unlimited opportunity to switch clubs at the drop of a hat - which is great for the player (all power to them) but not so great for fans who may have followed them since their junior days.

Id like to see something like the NFL where players with less experience (<5years) are restricted free agents (whereby a club can match any financial offer and keep them) and those over 5 years can do what they like.

Seems to be a good balance where players can still earn good money but clubs can have some sort of continuity and certainty (and in the case of juniors reap the benefits of their often significant investment).

oldmancraigy

Coach
Bring in a mid season trade deadline - up until that date, players can be traded from your team to another. Let's say (in theory) round 16.

Then make the free agent signing date 2 weeks AFTER the grand final has finished.

Now if a player is in his last year of a deal and not looking to re-sign, a team can ship him off someplace else and at least get something in return!

You could then introduce 'loyalty allowances' to the salary cap, allowing a team to overpay without being kneecapped by the salary cap - and this 'loyalty allowance' could be partially transferred (making it worth the while for players to be traded)

Teams already release players mid-season to sign with someone else - so we should at LEAST formalise what's already happening!

Hanscholo

Bench
Im all for trading windows, with players and coaches, one mid year and one at the end of the year. It wont stop negotiations but it might assist the organisational side of things so that everyone knows where they stand.

Pass the Ball

Juniors
The new system seems to work well enough...

Everyone knows where they stand. eg Falou to Bris and tonga to NQ...

What's the difference in signing now to in a few more weeks time...???

Latest posts