What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has Jamie OFFICIALLY retired?

Eelementary

Post Whore
I just watched the Channel 9 news, saying that Robbie Ross has just joined Lyon and Hill in retirement.

The NRL website says the exact same thing.

I was unaware that he had retired yet.

Does anyone know whether he officially quit the game?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Depends who you listen to.

According to Jamie, he has retired.

According to his manager, on Fox this morning, he says he about 50/50.

eelegant

Juniors
From NRL.com

17 March 2004

Injury-plagued Melbourne fullback Robbie Ross today announced his retirement from rugby league.

The former NSW State of Origin and Australian Test fullback joins high-profile centres Terry Hill and Jamie Lyon in quitting the game this week.

bradeel

Juniors
i don't think anyone knows the answer to this, including Jamie himself. Unfortunately i think this is one of those issues that will genuinely require the fans and the media to literally back off for a week or two while he sorts himself and his issues out.

Like all of you, i am dying to know what is going to happen here coz i'd be damn upset if last Saturday's debacle was the last time we ever see Jamie Lyon playing in the blue and gold, but it sounds like we are just going to have to wait and see. No amount of speculation, innuendo, or guesswork is going to give us the answers.

Eelectrica

Referee
After last weeks tipping I shouldn't be tipping anything least of all this but here goes anyway.
My guess is if people just leave him alone for a while, I'm talking about newspapers, Foxsports, Footyshow etc. and let him totally get away from football for a while he might realise there is something missing and come back. On the other hand he might find something in the country that totally replaces football and he'll never miss playing again.
Just depends on if he how much he misses the game over the next few weeks, there is the saying "You're a long time retired"

Freak

Juniors
Jamie won't get any sympathy from me.
I would give an arm and a leg to have what he has just given away!
All that talent just wasted, and on what?? Homesick!! :roll:

Im sorry but I don't buy it!! Not round 1 after 4 months pre season training.

Freak said:

You've gotta walk a mile in a mans shoes......

I've got no problem if he wants to give it away but I would have had the shits if it was 2 weeks out from the semis and we could end up either 5th or 10th depending on results...that would be ordinary.

By the sound of it, Jamie is one not wanting to let people down so I'd say he has agonised over this decision....it may have really set in over the last few weeks.

redeel

Juniors
He'll be back weather its in the eels colours depends on the coaching staff, the poor guy is obviously sick of loosing ; why else would he have hung on for one game, he probably listened to all the shit bs and co were pumping into him"dont leave yet jamie ill recruit some big ugly forwards to take the pressure off we will reign supreme once more "[not a quote]

Eelementary

Post Whore
What I meant was:

I know that Jamie has requested indefinite time off and that he has mentioned that retirement is not out of the question.

But all the news shows are claiming he has been 'joined in retirement of the game' by Hill and Ross.

I was unaware that he OFFICIALLY went to the club and said he had DEFINITELY retired.

Nikki

Coach
Freak said:

Listen, I dont think anyone will really know the true story as to why Jamie has left. I have heard bits and pieces and if what I've heard is true then I really feel sorry for the boy and dont blame him for taking off. In saying that, the club has given him two weeks before they will accept his final decision so I guess anything that happens before that is only speculation. But once again a certain media outlet is blowing up a story as I am sure they are hell bent on ruining Rugby Leagues reputation once and for all

parralight

Juniors
You cant blame him. He will never be amongst the highest try scorers whilst he plays outside Wagon. My guess is that in the post examination of the game BS got up him for his defensive lapses and he would have said (or definately thought) something along the lines of "Im only there to do the defensive work, I NEVER get the damn ball" Then he would have thought bugger this Im off.

If you think Im crazy - consider this.

If Parra won and Jamie scored 3 tries (cause he finally got the ball) do you think he would have retired ??? - NOT A CHANCE!

Jamie could see the writing on the wall.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Parralight: give me a break, unless your too dumb to read

1) Lyon has said he has been thinking about this for 12 months
2) Lyon could always come in and look for the ball a la Blacklock
3) Various reports have said that it wasn't because of the football it was a personal issue

parralight

Juniors
1/ Agreed
2/ Agreed (but he is more the conventional centre)
3/ Agreed .. I think most reports said that he wasnt enjoying living in sydney?

My question is still valid... If the team was kicking butt he would still be there.
(just my opinion because you and I dont know the real reason we can only speculate... )

wittyz chick

Coach
nobody knows what Jamie would've done had we won...maybe he wouldve stayed...maybe he wouldve still left
no-one knows but Jamie himself and I highly doubt Jamie is gonna come on here and tell us how he's feeling
people as much as I hate to say it get over Jamies departure he wont come back with everyone speculating something. The guy wants a break to decide his future and we Parra fans should be willing enough to give him as much time as he needs because of how much he has given us over the years he has been with us...I mean he's done everything but win a premiership
Jamies gone (for an indefinite time) nothing we can do...but if he comes back to Parra I will be as happy as all the other Parra supporters

Hurriflatch

Referee
thats fair, but if the reports of him hating Sydney are true then I doubt 1 game would change his mind.