What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has Ricky Stuart contributed to the plight of Rugby League?

cheese

Bench
fmd that was a shyte game last night

we won and we won well, but again again, the victories are leaving me hollow

it's not football imo. it's so reptitive that you only have to watch one set of six and you've seen the whole game.

rick has bought a toughness to the club that's gotta be admired, I've even thanked him for it. but in the process he's turned us into a bunch of dour merkins. Lobotomies all round by the look of it

The defense style game that has swept through the NRL after Rickies 2001 season has made the NRL a domain for the best athletes, rather than the most gifted players. Stamina and Strength 1st ....flair ..... last. Ricky was almost the Architect.

He could get away with it for the first three years because he had a modern great in Freddy to help create points .....Present day he has the worst paycheque:skill halfback of the modern era in his team so it isn't going to have the same effect. He only has himself to blame though ...he should have got rid of the mutton a while ago. The continual selection the 100 game myth also doesn't help.

Ricky says he wants X factor players ....This is a fair enough request ...The only hole our halfback ever found resulted in children, so he wants players who can do it by themselves. BUT ....Then you look at canberra

God there are some nevilles in that side ...COLIN BEST!!!!!! The bloke is a poor mans David Simmons, yet he' now somehow filling the hole Mark Gansier's loss has left. ....I wouldn't classify their squad as massively more "X Factor" than ours, yet they can put a try on at will. Granted that they don't have to put up with Kimmorley though.

It has to come down to coaching and game plan. I don't know what is being taught at training, but it's like our guys are scared to improvise .....scared to throw it around ....Spontaneity is being coached out of them ....... This seems evident by the general decline in form of our one and only X player ...Kearney. But maybe these players are just too rare these days, because there's just no place for them in the defense orientated NRL. They mightn't have the body shape and beep test skills to handle Rickie's Up and In defense.

In closing, the shyt we dish up doesn't endear the team to fans. Us die hards will still stick around, but bringing new fans to the sharks, and to the game of rugby league in general is difficult when you dish up boring shyte week after week.

K i'll stfu ... Discuss if you cbf'd

edit: ftr, it should be noted that I know Ricky does a hell of a lot for the game aswell with his various media gigs. You never hear him talk down the game, and he try's to promote pride in the Aus jumper.

Im talking purely from a "spectacle" point of view.

Last edited:

coolumsharkie

Referee
The only hole our halfback ever found resulted in children

but in the process he's turned us into a bunch of dour merkins. Lobotomies all round by the look of it

Some great lines there cheese, hahah fmd you are a funny merkin.

I agree with the fan thing, I do like a great defensive game with f*ck all points scored but I think that we can use Gus Gould's analogy here.

We certainly do suffocate teams. and maybe the fans also.

This is what football is all about defence, defence wins you games, i would rather win 2-0 each week then lose 42-20.

I cant see how fans wouldnt turn up to see 2-0, its a game of inches, we fight for each inch ont he ground, its trench warfare personified, its takes you back to 80's Eels & Bulldogs, the fans will watch it, the problem is the new fans have grown up on touch football basically, where what they need to watch is matches from the 70's

Ricky plays a game that takes it toll on the fans through sheer mental exhaustion, look at the opponents they are being strangled like a naconda around its victim.

I would happy G-F dayd 2-0 to sharks

I understand what your saying Cheese and yeah it doesnt create the type of game that will attract the part time Sharks fans to come to the game but IMO Ricky is getting the best he can out of what we have. We don't have the flair players in our backline and atm even if we did they wouldn't see the ball as our Half back is shyte.

Man of the Match my arse!

Hopefully next year we will see some changes to the attacking flair. Well I hope

The lack of spontaneity is an affliction that is widespread across the game of Rugby League at the moment. Most teams seem to favor the regimented game plan, the mind numbing arm wrestle, the tactics to slow down the play the ball, to wrestle. I've watched less footy games this season than any before. Canberra is an exception to the rule. More power to them. Like the Tigers of 2005.

Maybe it is Craig Bellamy that has contributing as much ugliness to the contest as any other coach in recent times? The referees aren't helping the spectacle either. It's wrong to place the blame entirely on Rick Stuart. Whats wrong with solid defence anyway. Sometimes watching a side show committed defence on the try line is a good as watching a try being scored.

Stuart coached the Bulldogs Jersey Flegg in 2001, 2002 was his first year at the Roosters.

Last edited:

Since 73

First Grade
Has Ricky Stuart contributed to the plight of Rugby League?

Yeah, he has.
But he only works within the parameters of the game.

Jack gibson changed the game forever from what it was. he did what needed to be done to wrestle the titles from the great Stains and souths teams of the 60's and early 70's when he went ot the Rorters.

The Wok did the same at the Dogs with ferocious defensive structures. he won a GF 8-6.

Roy Masters tried to win titles by buying the biggest bunch of grubs on the market in Donnelly, Boyd, Cooper and Tommy and knock the crap out more fancied rivals.

Bellamy is trying to do it with wrestling - although he has stepped outside theconfines of what is legal on the field.

Any good coach will take the rule to the nth degree to gain an adnatage. sticky wants to rule the ruck and we play accordingly.
it's now up to the powers that be to change the rules.

cheese

Bench
I understand what your saying Cheese and yeah it doesnt create the type of game that will attract the part time Sharks fans to come to the game but IMO Ricky is getting the best he can out of what we have. We don't have the flair players in our backline and atm even if we did they wouldn't see the ball as our Half back is shyte.

Fair enough millers. At first I agreed with this, but now I see it as a bit of a cop out. Just for the reason that you see similarily skilled squads play better football than what we play.

Thats the thing sheros. I agree with this ....but IMO this has to be the fault of the coaches. Players play to orders. This bullshyt wrestling and saturation defense has turned the game into a very ordinary spectacle.

Ricky took defense to the next level, and Bellamy has taken ruck work to the next level. Both are great coaches and both great moves at the time, but both have farked the spectacle of league in their own little way. Their decisions don't just impact the players of their current squad, but it impacts recruitment decisions ....It makes scouts look for body types and skin folds, and slowly but surely the whole juniour system is a wash with shyte footy, because that's how the big boys do it.

Stuart coached the Bulldogs Jersey Flegg in 2001, 2002 was his first year at the Roosters.
silly brainsnap

cheese

Bench
Yeah, he has.
But he only works within the parameters of the game.

Jack gibson changed the game forever from what it was. he did what needed to be done to wrestle the titles from the great Stains and souths teams of the 60's and early 70's when he went ot the Rorters.

The Wok did the same at the Dogs with ferocious defensive structures. he won a GF 8-6.

Roy Masters tried to win titles by buying the biggest bunch of grubs on the market in Donnelly, Boyd, Cooper and Tommy and knock the crap out more fancied rivals.

Bellamy is trying to do it with wrestling - although he has stepped outside theconfines of what is legal on the field.

Any good coach will take the rule to the nth degree to gain an adnatage. sticky wants to rule the ruck and we play accordingly.
it's now up to the powers that be to change the rules.

I agree with this too. Problem is that the current administration is weak as pizz. Tweaks need to be made to revitalise the game, but I just can't see them being made in the near future.

dolph_sharkphin

Juniors
Some Eddie Expert has said that defence wins finals. So I am gritting my teeth, and biding my time and waiting for the finals before I enjoy a game. I mean, it is boring to watch, yet I cant draw my eyes away from the screen, I love my Sharks that much. I guess the one thing we should acknowledge is the fact that we are winning and we are doing better than we have over the last few years (That too fluffy for some of you?)...bottom line, as long as we win, I am happy to be bored by the specticle.

dead set.

we won 20 nil and still people complain.

we play a style that caters to our slow backs, tough forwards and a halves pairing that isnt exactly assisting.

i couldn't give 2 sh*ts if we won 1-0 ever week.

BWNB

First Grade
dead set.

we won 20 nil and still people complain.

we play a style that caters to our slow backs, tough forwards and a halves pairing that isnt exactly assisting.

i couldn't give 2 sh*ts if we won 1-0 ever week.

AMEN!
And we know who the real supporters are who turn up to see 'boring' footy.

Sam Shark

Juniors
Good coaches create plays and tactics to allow their players to win. If Ricky were coaching the Storm I'm dead set sure he wouldn't be coaching the same way. But the guy has an average playing roster and the fact that we're 3rd says volumes for his coaching ability. Think back 2 seasons. What has changed??? RICKY! The guy is a legend to rebuild the Sharks from the wreckage Anderson left behind.

We must be the only fans that complain about the fact that an average side is actually winning and is placed so highly on the ladder! The Dogs played semifinal football for years and were lauded throughout the land for their gritty determination.

Not the Sharks! We are boring or dour and don't deserve to win!!!! F*CK OFF!!!! The team should be given credit for playing to their strengths and for achieving such excellent results. Anyone who doesn't like it should go and watch OzTag.

And Ricky is a SUPERB coach so get off his back!

Vossy

Bench
its an 80 minute contest, it shouldnt be over in 30 minutes, sticky has taken us from garbage to top 4, fuggen who cares what the game is like..we are going brilliantly with the roster we have!..suppose you cant please everyone..

Last edited:

Latest posts