What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has the Knights Moved On From Joey's retirement?

Has the Knights Club come to terms and moved on from Joey Johns?

• YES

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • NO

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

IanG

Coach
Basically after being dubbed a team that can't win without Joey Johns in the team. I'm posing the question has the club come to terms with his retirement.

2007 finished 15th where Joey play a couple of games before having to retire and a horror run of injuries didn't help our cause.
2008 finished 9th. A vast improvement and were unlucky and were penalised from piller to post.

Burwood

Bench
Isn't it funny how now it's being asked if we can win without Bedsy next year.

I've heard VERY little recognition from the media this year about our performances since Johns has retired, which is kind of unusual since it would be asked every time he'd miss a game from about 2000 onwards.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Yes, the club is over the loss of Joey

We will miss Bedsy too there is no doubt but some of our best performances this year were in games where he was out. I am happy with the team and structure we have for next season and confident that the boys wont fall to sh*t if one of our top liners arnt playing.

Last edited:

IanG

Coach
Yeah that had crossed my mind. Just wondering if in 5 years time it'll be we cant win without Kurt Gidley

Yosh

Coach
One person must of had a real non brainer and accidently clicked no...

However we have definately moved on from the Joey era, we are now offically in the Kurt Gidley era...

shane1970

Juniors
Yeah we have gotten past Joey, quite successfully as well , but now we have version 2 to get past which will be another major challenge. Losing, without a doubt, the two greatest players to have ever pulled on the red and blue in successive years is gonna be a real challenge for the remaining boys. Hears hoping Isaac can make it an easy transition.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Of course we have. No longer is the team reliant on one player (although Kurt has played a significant role in whatever we have done in the last 18 months or so), but Brian has got the team playing as a team, unlike what Hagan "achieved".

stuke

Bench
the retirement of Joey really did bring on Kurt's game immeasurably. he was a pretty average player beforehand, but he has really stepped it up in his absence and is rightly getting the accolades. his move out of the halves has also helped.

also helped having Smith there to help the transition. he is a guy who is happy to take more than his fair share of bullets and make some unpopular decisions, with most decisions being proved correct in his time there so far.

This year pretty much put it to bed..we are making huge leaps and bounds..some attcking style is so different but some if it can still be stiffled...sometimes you think..."oh if only joey was there to throw that pass"...but the games against melbourne showed all that we are ready to compete

cram

Bench
The Question is will the knights survive when the Kurt Gidley era ends

I think the Knights are history, Joey went and we...well we did something, now Buderus is gone, oh that's right he only played 15 games all year, and we have Gidley....oh my god what will do when he goes...... given we can't recurit are not producing any juniors....chicken little the sky is falling.............:roll::roll::roll:

Terry-Randal

Juniors
i think the knights are starting to learn to play without him. After all they only just missed out on the 8. Also i cant wait to see how 'Bailey goes for Manly.

Big Tim

First Grade
I think the Knights are history, Joey went and we...well we did something, now Buderus is gone, oh that's right he only played 15 games all year, and we have Gidley....oh my god what will do when he goes...... given we can't recurit are not producing any juniors....chicken little the sky is falling.............:roll::roll::roll:

I dont think we have recovered from the loss of Steve Fulmer......

Yeah that had crossed my mind. Just wondering if in 5 years time it'll be we cant win without Kurt Gidley

No player that we've had ever or for that matter only about 2 or 3 in other teams have had the level of impact that Joey could have on a game.

He is not known as the best ever for no reason.

Bedsy and Gidley will go down as greats for the knights but Joey is an immortal and a completely different class.

Latest posts