What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has there ever been a more overrated flog than Latrine Mitchell?

Legion

Juniors
Latrell Mitchell had an off night. He missed having Luke Keary and Cooper Cronk creating opportunities for him. The problem with Latrell Mitchell's SoO performance was the incompetence of Nathan Cleary and Cody Walker.

I don't have a replay to jog my memory but early in the first half [around the 15 min mark?] there was a break down the left side of the field [Addo-Carr?] Had Mitchell backed him up he would have scored a try.
There was a head-on shot of the runner getting tackled in Qld's half, that showed Mitchell scratching his arse back on NSW's 25 meter line.

Mitchell has a lot in common with Hayne; big, strong, speed, sheer natural talent. Both were/are wrecking balls when they're in the mood. Both 'turn-off' & take a break in-between flashes of brilliance.
The difference between them having a good game & a bad one depends on how many minutes they go walkabout in their own minds during play.

Imagine if Hayne had the dedication like a Wayne Pearce or Wade Graham who were/are always there to back up a ball runner, a kick & in cover defense.
Some accuse me of being a Hayne hater. Not so, it's sheer frustration at such a waste because I rate his potential that highly. Hayne had/has the worst attitude. A lazy trainer because he was/is a superstar in his own mind.

I'm seeing Mitchell going down the same path as Hayne. Like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
Unless Mitchell changes his attitude, it will be another what-could-have-been story.
Maybe he should have a good talk with Cameron Smith. Not that I'm a fan but credit where credit is due. Smith is a good example of how sheer hard work with a dedicated attitude to training & playing is the difference between an Immortal & an-also-ran. Consistent and dependable. [Can't remember Smith ever having played a bad game]

Apart from the fact that we won game 3 without him, I was so pleased when Mitchell was dropped. Next year I hope that he is not an automatic selection but rather, is told he has to earn a position to play Origin football because it's a privilege that's earned, not a given.
It might just be the kick up the arse that he desperately needs.

Latest posts