What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has your care factor waned?

Vic Mackey

Referee
Wondering if this is the same for other supporters? Every single year whether we suck (which is most), top 4 or bordering on the 8 I've always been borderline obssessed with what Tigers. My weeks plans always centered around when our game was on and during those 80 minutes nothing else in the world mattered.

We are the most resiliant fanbase bar none. As an old Balmain fan I've seen my team play 3 finals series in 31 years. Any other team would have folded with these results, make no mistake about it. However this year is finally the year that broke me. During the Titans game I laughed at us when we copped 3 tries in 3 sets to go down 18-0. Against the Storm and I simply shrugged and turned the TV off before the 20 min mark. That night I slept like a baby .

Normally I would have been devastated to not be going to Leichhardt to watch us play, now I'm actually happy that I'm not wasting my Sunday. As a fan I've been sold so many good news stories about how we're on the improve and 'next year will be different' yet to me we're spiralling and I see no end in sight.

Don't get me wrong I'll always support the club, however I'm at a point where it means very little to me anymore and the feeling I get from other Tigers fans I know is that they are feeling the same.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Wondering if this is the same for other supporters? Every single year whether we suck (which is most), top 4 or bordering on the 8 I've always been borderline obssessed with what Tigers. My weeks plans always centered around when our game was on and during those 80 minutes nothing else in the world mattered.

We are the most resiliant fanbase bar none. As an old Balmain fan I've seen my team play 3 finals series in 31 years. Any other team would have folded with these results, make no mistake about it. However this year is finally the year that broke me. During the Titans game I laughed at us when we copped 3 tries in 3 sets to go down 18-0. Against the Storm and I simply shrugged and turned the TV off before the 20 min mark. That night I slept like a baby .

Normally I would have been devastated to not be going to Leichhardt to watch us play, now I'm actually happy that I'm not wasting my Sunday. As a fan I've been sold so many good news stories about how we're on the improve and 'next year will be different' yet to me we're spiralling and I see no end in sight.

Don't get me wrong I'll always support the club, however I'm at a point where it means very little to me anymore and the feeling I get from other Tigers fans I know is that they are feeling the same.

I hear you 100% mate. I'm actually not a Balmain or Wests fan - I've only ever been a WT fan. I'm at the point where I want the joint venture to split up and merge with other clubs. It would give us a fresh start and the opportunity to start supporting another team.

It's not that we are having a shit year, it's the continued, sustained underperformances for years that has gotten me to the point where I simply don't care anymore.

I'll watch the game on the weekend but if we are getting flogged by halftime I'll switch it off. There's a lot more to life than feeling like shit every weekend and ruining my missus' day.

Letting a footy team dictate my happiness is just stupid when you really think about it

Maxxn99

Juniors
Yup I’ve pretty much given up on this mob. All that leaves me hanging on is our cap money that we have to spend. But then again it will all depend on who we end up signing. What’s going to drive me nuts is if we sign more coconut players. Seriously I’ve had enough!!

Vozzy

Juniors
I don't "have" to watch it anymore. I listened to Storm game on radio and after a loss now I'm down for the day but I get over it and I'm up for the start of next game. In all 3 sports I watch I never pay attention to the ladder so wouldn't really know where we are really but just focus on game to game. If we win I still feel good for a few days. I was never expecting them to be good for awhile and know we are far from consistancy even if we change the coach we are still 2-3 years away so it won't change anything for mine.

Part of my personal life outside of work and footy the last year hasn't been the best plus being in lock down with only Rugby League being my first choice of entertainment I'm just happy having a product to watch. So the last 2 seasons during covid times I haven't cared as much but I still deep down feel like the Tigers go into each season as an underdog with backs against the wall. It's been 9-10 years but I feel like the rebuild starts again each coaching change so I feel like this is only year 2 of a 3-5 season rebuild. I would be more excited if I knew we were struggling but we have plans for our Reserve Grade/Jersey Flegg players because there is some promise for hope coming through our system. I lose faith when we buy a "Ken Mamaulo" when we have Cini and others who deserve a chance and have youth on their side.

Tigerm

First Grade
Watching Roosters get flogged by 30 already at halftime gives me a bit of renewed faith we aren't completely shit hahaha
Agree, we aren’t a good side yet, but we are certainly not the worst.

I think everyone one said we would be lucky to win any of the 4 games against Panthers, Parra’s, Storm & Rabbits. I am sure none us thought we would get 66 pts put on us though.

But let’s face it, we know we are still a work in progress 🥲

Front-Rower

First Grade

You sound like me Vic. Unless something was on that I couldn't get out of, our game was the centre of my weekend whether it be at the ground, on tele at home or the pub/club. Didn't matter, I was there.

Now, I couldn't really care less. I do still watch our games when I can and I did watch the entire Melbourne game the other week and it didn't bother me one bit. In fact I was laughing half way through the first half. I thought it was seriously funny. In days gone by no one would have been able to talk to me for a good few hours after the game and I would have been shattered for a week.

I think the wiser amongst us steer our attention to our officials who are ultimately responsible for all facets underneath.

On that front, we are seeing some small but positive change with Tim and Noddy arriving. It’s not enough, but baby steps.

I suspect the annual rout at the end of the year with trainers, medicos etc and the physios always seem to get shot for some reason.

The appalling treatment of ticketed members and the sickening sound of more “growth” and new and fresh things and promises etc is very wearying and tiresome now.

i am not sure If pascoe is needed into the future and his cronies. I am not sure Lee is best suited as chair but money buys privileges.

I am not into leadership rhetoric but we have very little. It’s one foot in mouth followed by another.

Still, at least for me, the fight continues.

I need to be put down as a mercy killing for as pathetic as it sounds, yeah, I still care. It can’t get too much worse.

I watch or listen to just about every game, attend a couple.

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
I started following Balmain when I first started following rugby league in 1981. We got the spoon that year but I was too young to give a shit… I live 2500kms from Sydney so it was the emblem and colours that drew me to them and I was happy to have a team.

From the mid to late 80’s, the team had huge success making the finals 5 years in a row, making the Panasonic Cup final 3 years in a row, winning twice, and the GF of the NSWRFL 2 years in a row. When they lost in the 89 GF, I was 14 and although upset, I thought I would see the team gain much success throughout the following years. We played finals in 90 and then it took 15 f**ken years before we did it again. The fact is, I’ve been a fan of this team through three iterations over 40 years and have seen them play finals footy only 9 times!!!

The fact a lot of you have seen far less success as you are younger…well I take my hat off to you for sticking solid.

All that said, this current 10 year stretch has broken me, with this year in particular the last straw. I am starting to hate the club and it’s pathetic results. They are useless and don’t seem to give a shit. As long as they are not last, they are upbeat. Truth is they hide mid pack of the losers and are not held accountable. The f**kwit social media marketing people are the worst offenders, always talking the club up after another failed season. This club sorely needs the spoon so it wakes the f**k up.

I haven’t lost my passion for the game as I enjoy watching the Storm, Roosters and now Penrith play footy, but the West’s Tigers can get f**ked - they embarrass me.

You must be the same vintage as me Vic. I've seen us play finals 4 (one as Balmain, three as WT,) times in 32 seasons.

I've f**king had it. Will always support the club, but I just don't have the enthusiasm anymore. I think it has finally broken me. Up until this year I've always watched games to the death. I've probably switched off four or five games this year, and I don't care to look up the result until the next day unless I see it via socials/mates slagging me off via messages. Wins don't even make me happy anymore as you can almost bet dollar to a dime that we will get flogged the following week.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I saw the writing on the wall with the Cowboys defeat - the usual gutless capitulation that we have seen countless times over the years, then repeated against Titans, Eels, Storm. They're going to have to win me back to watching them again. For now, I enjoy watching the good teams, like the Storm, at least I know I'm going to see some skill & commitment.

simmo1

First Grade
I wouldn't say my care factor has waned. I mean I still find time to come and post on a forum a few times a week. However the past few seasons I have gone in with zero expectations rather than any sort of cautious optimism. I've always usually been able to get over good and bad results pretty quickly.

I will say that I find myself watching less neutral games and that is entirely down to the bastardisation of the rules by PVL and co. This sport will basically be touch football by the time the Tigers make the finals again.

cerberus

Coach
i see it as a loss of tribalism . when i was a kid i played in the western suburbs comp .
i though we were dead in 84 .but got the move to campbelltown .
once the super league criminality started .it was never the same and i don't think the game ever recovered .
its hard to get enthusiastic about melbourne , brisbane ,easts winning it 9 out of 10 times

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Would have to agree with most of the sentiments in this thread.

I went to my first (Balmain) Tigers game at Leichhardt Oval as a youngster in 1994 and have been a die hard fan since. So I've seen my team play finals three times in nearly three decades lol. But the 2005 GF was probably the best night of my life so I'll always have that.

Wins and losses really played a huge factor on my weekends, but I've slowly, in this season in particular, tried to not let that affect me so much. The Cowboys game was really depressing, but it was the loss to Manly where I thought 'F*** these pricks, there's nothing in it for me'.

I'll still be tuning in to every game for the time being, but making an effort to get to the venues won't happen until I see something from this toothless mob. And I will not be buying any more merch for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
My interest has definitely waned, it’s as if this lot has finally broken me and that there is no hope left,I can not remember the last time this mob caused an upset or changed the momentum of a game to come from behind and win.
I have always followed the Tigers, initially it was Balmain ,as that is where my mother grew up ,so you didn’t really get a choice of which club to follow ,it was bred into you, now I follow the WT, after years of set backs when I had a son I couldn’t do the same to him, so I let him choose, thank f**k he choose Melbourne, although I hated that lot with a passion ,I have come to respect the Storm as a club for their level of professionalism and their winning culture ,which delivers success on the football field ,something our poor club seem clueless at achieving.

Latest posts