What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has your care factor waned?

gordsy

Juniors
I will say one thing about Madge his recruitment has been dreadful so far.
From memory these are some of his signings
Jimmy The Junk Plane Signed because he promised more speed than a bikies clubhouse but Australia post delivers more than him.
Asu
Musgrove, Mr Harold Holt. Seems to have permanently disappeared
Luch, The Amazing Reverse. Never seen something go backwards that quick
Joe o, rumour has it his nickname is milo because he ain't f**kin quick. Reminds of the kid you played footy with at school who would only tackle people right in front of them, anyone else they would point at and yell "yours"
Ken M, Plod personified
Tamou, Mr 1800, his leadership must be out of this world because his playing minutes suggest he's dearer than a 1800 number.

Maybe Madge can be a fitness trainer of something but his recruitment skills suck balls. I liken he and Pascoes recruitment skills to that of Maxwell Smart always missed them but that much.

I don't like to say this but I can see us punting him and getting Shines or Flanno in to help rebuild us and signing some quality players.

Shredder

Juniors
I honestly don't believe the poor recruitment is Madge's fault. I blame our policy of recruitment by committee.

I cant remember a decent player we brought into the team that wasn't a junior since Ellis and he had never played NRL before either, so he was a risk.

If it was just a recruitment manager who also administered the cap, several guys doing grass roots juniors and Madge, with Madge having the final say I think we would be in a better spot. I think all coaches should be under this structure. They are the ones blamed when the team is shite.

And if this style continues, it wont change.

Tigerm

First Grade
I honestly don't believe the poor recruitment is Madge's fault. I blame our policy of recruitment by committee.

I cant remember a decent player we brought into the team that wasn't a junior since Ellis and he had never played NRL before either, so he was a risk.

If it was just a recruitment manager who also administered the cap, several guys doing grass roots juniors and Madge, with Madge having the final say I think we would be in a better spot. I think all coaches should be under this structure. They are the ones blamed when the team is shite.

And if this style continues, it wont change.
We changed our recruitment process after Ivan brought and then crashed the bus?

We have paid top dollar for ordinary players in the past and I think the club is understandably a bit skittish about doing it again, (the dogs have great recruitment in some positions, but it has the same feel as what we have done before?) the problem we have now imo, is our lack of success does not make us a desirable destination for the better players to want to come, so we are now back on the development path, with better systems in place, so that will change, just don't know when?

Shredder

Juniors
Like being for like the Dogs have absolutely shit on us for recruitment.

If anything they are playing worse than us at the moment.

We keep losing players to them. Barrett has a good reputation but hasn't done anything other than throw a hissy fit about the facilities at Manly. Madge is a premiership winning coach that did his apprentiship under Bellamy.

Honestly, I dont rate Barrett at all, and if a decent coach had their team for next year they are playing finals.

We've bought two blokes from the Super League.......

Tigerm

First Grade
Like being for like the Dogs have absolutely shit on us for recruitment.

If anything they are playing worse than us at the moment.

We keep losing players to them. Barrett has a good reputation but hasn't done anything other than throw a hissy fit about the facilities at Manly. Madge is a premiership winning coach that did his apprentiship under Bellamy.

Honestly, I dont rate Barrett at all, and if a decent coach had their team for next year they are playing finals.

We've bought two blokes from the Super League.......
"We've brought two blokes from the super league" is true, but we haven't finished yet, there is a long way to to next season. Not sure if Scott is the answer, but he would probably be our best centre if he came?

I said it earlier, I think Bennett and Gould will clash next year and derail there season, with Barrett being shown the door?

Tigerm

First Grade
Scott would be great for us. He fills a hole. But I think we can all agree we are more than a handful of players away.
I don't think we are too far away imo, yes we need to get a few players, but for me, the centres are a weak link and maybe a good forward as well.

I wouldn't feed Nofo, but I can't see him going anywhere.

Vic Mackey

Referee
RE recruitment

From what Ive been told our recruitment process is an absolute nightmare. After the Ivan debacle where the coach had total control its now been pulled right back and Madge has very little say. Basically theres a three person committee (Madge, Hartigan and Pascoe) who discuss the player however Hartigan has final say on the value. After they decide on this they than have the present it to the board who give the final ok for an offer to even be presented. Ive been told once it took nearly 2 weeks for this all to be worked out just so we could submit an offer.

We're the only club who operates like this and player managers hate it.

simmo1

First Grade
I haven't seen Scott play this year (has he played at all?) but his defence was notably horrific last year. Certainly no improvement over Talau and with his attitude issues I'd be steering well clear.

Tiger05

First Grade
I haven't seen Scott play this year (has he played at all?) but his defence was notably horrific last year. Certainly no improvement over Talau and with his attitude issues I'd be steering well clear.

Exactly. His defense is puss. I can't say it's as bad as Talau's. I'd love a centre in our team who was actually defensively strong.

Tiger05

First Grade
RE recruitment

From what Ive been told our recruitment process is an absolute nightmare. After the Ivan debacle where the coach had total control its now been pulled right back and Madge has very little say. Basically theres a three person committee (Madge, Hartigan and Pascoe) who discuss the player however Hartigan has final say on the value. After they decide on this they than have the present it to the board who give the final ok for an offer to even be presented. Ive been told once it took nearly 2 weeks for this all to be worked out just so we could submit an offer.

This to me is great news. Well done Tigers management.

Perth Tiger

Bench
For those bagging the recruitment. We are stuck having to accept the scraps at the bottom of the barrel at the moment. If we don't take a chance on players like BJ or JTJ or perhaps Scott for next year then we are stuck with players like Paugua or 18 year olds in the team full time.

It is not like we are choosing these duds over established rep players, we just need to be disciplined and sign them to short term deals and hope enough of them work out to finally get the finals monkey off our back and then we can look like a club that can attract decent players again.

RE recruitment

Marquee post Vic and wholly accords with my understanding of the process.

Also backed up and evidenced by that interview with Hartigan himself last year. So an entirely reliable and truthful account.

Theres pros and cons with a process that incorporates a proper system, checks and balances. Mostly pros I think.

Theres pretty much a secret list of players we want to sign and a war chest for a sudden opportunity. We don’t publish our big targets, nor should we as that drives up their price.

And of course, we have to monitor our outstanding juniors grades.

When we miss a target, then we have next man up and so forth. Balancing act.

Five or six months work to sign Hastings (at least). Massive effort and successful.

Perfection is not possible, it’s a fluid market, very very complex.

Hartigan did very well at the Roosters, intimately involved with recruitment leading to premiership success. He faces different challenges here (inherited a mess), but he has a good track record.

Tigerm

First Grade
Marquee post Vic and wholly accords with my understanding of the process.

Also backed up and evidenced by that interview with Hartigan himself last year. So an entirely reliable and truthful account.

Theres pros and cons with a process that incorporates a proper system, checks and balances. Mostly pros I think.

Theres pretty much a secret list of players we want to sign and a war chest for a sudden opportunity. We don’t publish our big targets, nor should we as that drives up their price.

And of course, we have to monitor our outstanding juniors grades.

When we miss a target, then we have next man up and so forth. Balancing act.

Five or six months work to sign Hastings (at least). Massive effort and successful.

Perfection is not possible, it’s a fluid market, very very complex.

Hartigan did very well at the Roosters, intimately involved with recruitment leading to premiership success. He faces different challenges here (inherited a mess), but he has a good track record.
We also have a guy who apparently does nothing else but track player movements and assesses their values which apparently it seems is seldom gone over? Sort of a bit like the "Money Ball" movie scenario?

Last edited:
We also have a guy who apparently does nothing else but track player movements and assesses their values which apparently it seems is seldom gone over? Sort of a bit like the "Money Ball" movie scenario?
Yes I’ve heard of that too. The fortunes of players, our crystal ball is a bit grubby!

The average nrl player only lasts about 50 games. That’s not very many.

What we get from the press is leaks and so forth, unreliable by nature, but fun to discuss.

Also when a player is recruited, it’s a gamble of some kind. The recruiter has to project into the future up against all kinds of things.

I think we can cop injury or the odd bad behaviour, we can allow for a degree of the odd incompetence and mistake. But we can’t accept is the not having a go, especially an extended version.

So the skilled recruiter, she or he has to try to predict that future motivational factor. That would be a challenge.

I think @macnaz is also interested in differences in individual players attitudes and intent beyond just performance and physical attributes. He probably knows a bit about it, more than me.

That’s why I really like Laurie. He shows a lot of effort. He looks so lonely sometimes when he’s getting run over or simply outsized. I’m sure the squad has been told to look after him, but they can’t always manage it.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
My care factor has just dropped off the bottom of the chart.

Cheer up all you past Wests and Tigers players, at least you where never as bad as this lot.

No dummy half was symbolic of the entire season.

Realistically, Lauries injury was the beginning of the end for anything remotely successful this season.

At least we had some kind of an excuse. Not the full strength squad succumbing to a cricket score as per usual.

Latest posts