What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hasler to coach in 2018

The Doc

Juniors
We are buggered anyway and who cares about the Dogs? If an agreement has been made why not announce it? A precedent has been set by the Dogs and Hasler in 2011 although in that case he was released for the 2012 season so its not like it hasn't happened before.
Maybe Hasler cares about his team this season?
You talk about the Hasler situation in 2011, have u guys thought that maybe he learnt a lesson from that situation?
Do u guys recall what happened with Bennett and the roosters before he came to us?
Once it was leaked he backed out of the deal.
Some coaches dont want there business splashed around before a ball has been kicked.
It effects there seasons.
In the cut throat world of coaching (in all sports and at all teams, bar ours)
Its about the coach and the players all on the same page... team mentality...
Its NOT about releasing statements and disrupting teams just to make the fans happy with news.
Just be patient, i assure u the good news will come out in due time.

possm

Coach
The fools on our Board just cannot grasp the importance of announcing a new coach for 2018 ASAP. Even if Mary stays on till end of season, the fans, the sponsors, our players and prospective recruits would all appreciate such an announcement.

I believe that if a suitable new coach was announced for 2018 - not Hornby, Young or Head - the pressure would be lifted from Mary's shoulders and he would be happy to bring some of our youngsters through in 2017.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
The fools on our Board just cannot grasp the importance of announcing a new coach for 2018 ASAP. Even if Mary stays on till end of season, the fans, the sponsors, our players and prospective recruits would all appreciate such an announcement.

I believe that if a suitable new coach was announced for 2018 - not Hornby, Young or Head - the pressure would be lifted from Mary's shoulders and he would be happy to bring some of our youngsters through in 2017.

But...the new coach may not be so keen to have it announced just yet.

twinkletoes

Juniors
Why is everyone assuming a new coach has been signed up...there is absolutely no evidence to suggest this has happened. This is just like last season where everyone was absolutely certain Cleary had been signed up...and we were all devastated when this turned out to be wrong. No new coach has been signed up for next season!! and it is highly unlikely the Board has even spoken to anyone...

BennyV

Referee
Maybe Hasler cares about his team this season?
You talk about the Hasler situation in 2011, have u guys thought that maybe he learnt a lesson from that situation?
Do u guys recall what happened with Bennett and the roosters before he came to us?
Once it was leaked he backed out of the deal.
Some coaches dont want there business splashed around before a ball has been kicked.
It effects there seasons.
In the cut throat world of coaching (in all sports and at all teams, bar ours)
Its about the coach and the players all on the same page... team mentality...
Its NOT about releasing statements and disrupting teams just to make the fans happy with news.
Just be patient, i assure u the good news will come out in due time.
Yeah, I'm sure Hasler learnt a really difficult lesson from his obvious failure in 2011...
:oops:

pinkmoon

Juniors
Des is no dummy.

He will not sign with the Dragons because of a lack of resources in the football department. He is currently operating on one of the biggest football budgets in the game at one of the richest clubs in the competition. He will be a target for a number of clubs if he goes onto the market and Saints do not have the money to fund the kind of football department that this coach demands.

He will end up at a club with all the cash to give him what he wants. Don't think I am talking about his contract, I am talking about the 15 million bucks he will want pumped into the football department every year. Forget about this pipe dream and expect Hornby to coach in 2018.

Also the 5th tackle link is a regurgitation of this RLW article from October last year http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/hasler-breathe-fire-dragons-2018/

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
possm, I reckon they've come to terms with someone, otherwise I don't believe Frizell would have signed on for a long contract and there is no way Hunt was signing if he did not know who the coach is. The coach of a club is one of the first considerations to joining a club.

Generally I agree with the belief that a prospective player looks at the current coach before making a decision to re-sign or look elsewhere, but this practice didn't stop the likes of Dugan, Widdop, and Marshall from joining the Dragons when Price was in charge.

Who knows, perhaps Hunt signed on the 'dotted line' on the assumption McGregor will be coach for the long term?

Funnier things have happened.

The Doc

Juniors
Yeah, I'm sure Hasler learnt a really difficult lesson from his obvious failure in 2011...
:oops:
1st of all who said anything about failure?
Learn to read a post properly before jumping on with sarcastic comments.
The post i posted said that he learnt from the situation... as in the media frenzy it caused and the pressure it put on him for immediate results.
You throw comments like your the God of coaching.
Your previous post reffered to me as basically a moron, for suggesting widdop take a game by the neck and control it.
You suggested its all about set plays at training.... cause to you the only blame can be mary... no one else and nothing else.
Tell me something super coach... does mary teach him to run sideways and slide at defenders feet?
Does mary teach him to kick the ball into defenders legs at training?
I hate mary more then the next guy... but to lay all blame on mary... well... THATS MORONIC.
Some players, on that money, need to have a few tricks up there sleeves, especially when that player is a marquee signing playing in the halves!!!
The fact you cant see that, well, that in itself says everyhing one needs to know about how much knowledge you have on rugby league.

BennyV

Referee
1st of all who said anything about failure?
Learn to read a post properly before jumping on with sarcastic comments.
The post i posted said that he learnt from the situation... as in the media frenzy it caused and the pressure it put on him for immediate results.
You throw comments like your the God of coaching.
Your previous post reffered to me as basically a moron, for suggesting widdop take a game by the neck and control it.
You suggested its all about set plays at training.... cause to you the only blame can be mary... no one else and nothing else.
Tell me something super coach... does mary teach him to run sideways and slide at defenders feet?
Does mary teach him to kick the ball into defenders legs at training?
I hate mary more then the next guy... but to lay all blame on mary... well... THATS MORONIC.
Some players, on that money, need to have a few tricks up there sleeves, especially when that player is a marquee signing playing in the halves!!!
The fact you cant see that, well, that in itself says everyhing one needs to know about how much knowledge you have on rugby league.
Cool meltdown. Not gunna bother with most of it, because its dribble and if you've read any of my posts, you'd see that I've said multiple times that Widdop doesn't deserves to be picked on current form. Taking it as me labelling you as moronic is on you, although it's coincidental at worst.

With regards to the non-dribble; what would Hasler have learnt from 2011? That he has the ability to keep the media frenzy away from his team and coaching and win a premiership before moving onto another highly paid position? That he is able to prove why he was the most in demand coach of that year? Or that (after winning that premiership) he proved he was good enough to get results straight away (y'know, the minor premiership and Grand Final)?Because none of that would be a lesson pointing him to not announce a coaching movement!

dragon thomo

Juniors
Not that I would be gratefull to have Hasler as our coach I feel that we need someone like Cleary or Walters to bring our better juniors through also they do seem to coach a more attacking type of game plan.

Old Timer

Coach
Generally I agree with the belief that a prospective player looks at the current coach before making a decision to re-sign or look elsewhere, but this practice didn't stop the likes of Dugan, Widdop, and Marshall from joining the Dragons when Price was in charge.

Who knows, perhaps Hunt signed on the 'dotted line' on the assumption McGregor will be coach for the long term?

Funnier things have happened.
Dugan was Broncos bound but blotted his copy book and then ended up with us.
Benji couldn't get a decent offer from anyone but from us.
Widdop was looking for a pay increase and to do that he had to move away from Slater, Cronk, Smith and take on a leadership roll so we made an offer at increased money.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Dugan was Broncos bound but blotted his copy book and then ended up with us.
Benji couldn't get a decent offer from anyone but from us.
Widdop was looking for a pay increase and to do that he had to move away from Slater, Cronk, Smith and take on a leadership roll so we made an offer at increased money.

Agree with all three outcomes, but all still signed witb Price in charge.

From memory, Saints outbid Cronulla for Marshall.

St Georgio

Juniors
Agree with all three outcomes, but all still signed witb Price in charge.

From memory, Saints outbid Cronulla for Marshall.
spot on mate the sharks were very close to our offer at the time, once the benji hater likes to put the boot in, so boring!

Crush

Coach
Why is everyone assuming a new coach has been signed up...there is absolutely no evidence to suggest this has happened. This is just like last season where everyone was absolutely certain Cleary had been signed up...and we were all devastated when this turned out to be wrong. No new coach has been signed up for next season!! and it is highly unlikely the Board has even spoken to anyone...
Completely agree. No new coach signed. The board are still hoping Mary turns it around. If he doesn't, they will look at hiring someone in the off-season. That's how they operate.

The Doc

Juniors
Cool meltdown. Not gunna bother with most of it, because its dribble and if you've read any of my posts, you'd see that I've said multiple times that Widdop doesn't deserves to be picked on current form. Taking it as me labelling you as moronic is on you, although it's coincidental at worst.

With regards to the non-dribble; what would Hasler have learnt from 2011? That he has the ability to keep the media frenzy away from his team and coaching and win a premiership before moving onto another highly paid position? That he is able to prove why he was the most in demand coach of that year? Or that (after winning that premiership) he proved he was good enough to get results straight away (y'know, the minor premiership and Grand Final)?Because none of that would be a lesson pointing him to not announce a coaching movement!
Thats all good when you only look at the positives.
What about the way Manly sacked him as a result of the news coming out so early?
What about the accusations that he was trying to persuade and "poach" players and coaching staff to join him at the bulldogs?
It made him look like someone that would use the 2012 season not to soley focus on Manly, but to gauge who to try and take with him to a rival team.
Accusations like that dont sit well with many people.
Bennett to the roosters? He backed out of the deal when it was leaked.
Why? Because he knew it stir a media frenzy with "which player or players will he take with him".
If Mary flops early... every fan will demand Hasler replace him immediately...
The problem there is Hasler has a team to coach!!!
The way our fans carry on... id rather avoid that scenario too!!!
What will happen in 2018 will come out in due time.
Lessons from past situations do get learnt.... some need to understand that.

BennyV

Referee
Thats all good when you only look at the positives.
What about the way Manly sacked him as a result of the news coming out so early?
What about the accusations that he was trying to persuade and "poach" players and coaching staff to join him at the bulldogs?
It made him look like someone that would use the 2012 season not to soley focus on Manly, but to gauge who to try and take with him to a rival team.
Accusations like that dont sit well with many people.
Bennett to the roosters? He backed out of the deal when it was leaked.
Why? Because he knew it stir a media frenzy with "which player or players will he take with him".
If Mary flops early... every fan will demand Hasler replace him immediately...
The problem there is Hasler has a team to coach!!!
The way our fans carry on... id rather avoid that scenario too!!!
What will happen in 2018 will come out in due time.
Lessons from past situations do get learnt.... some need to understand that.
All well and good - and the Bennett scenario is a good example - but the point I was making was that the Hasler 2011 situation isn't, in my opinion, a good example of a lesson he'd learn. His early release allowed him to walk straight into another high-paying job, clearly did nothing to destabilise his 2011 or 2012 and from memory, a lot of media attention was on Manlys dysfunctional board.

If anything, that period solidified him as one of the great coaches in modern times.

BennyV

Referee
Completely agree. No new coach signed. The board are still hoping Mary turns it around. If he doesn't, they will look at hiring someone in the off-season. That's how they operate.
This. Mary will be given every opportunity and every excuse by his mates on the board. Hence why I'm so nervous he'll be here in 2018 with a real halfback.

hindy111

Post Whore
Mary will be given 10 games to prove himself. He is not dead in water yet. Cleary will coach in 2018.
Des either goes well and dogs re sign or he flops in which case why would you want him?

I reackon Barrett gets chopped for a return for Des to Manly.

And the suprise? Toovey takes over your club.

Latest posts