What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have a good one Shaun vs Bulldogs Round 25 Game Day Thread.

JJ

Immortal
Why would it need to be a "conspiracy"? It's as simple as Australians officiating an NZ team and implicit bias existing.

Although on top of that, if it makes me boring or stupid to hold the opinion that Australians are, as a cultural norm, bigoted cheats, then I'm proud to be boring and stupid.
lol, ok, implicit bias yeah, that would be a feature of every game - the poorer teams tend to get the raw end of the deal

As for bigoted, I won't go there - but 'cheats', yeah, most/all tope level sports people push the boundaries, and most people are parochial - most fans argue their teams were robbed whenever they lose a close one...

Big Marn

Bench
lol, ok, implicit bias yeah, that would be a feature of every game - the poorer teams tend to get the raw end of the deal

As for bigoted, I won't go there - but 'cheats', yeah, most/all tope level sports people push the boundaries, and most people are parochial - most fans argue their teams were robbed whenever they lose a close one...
this is mostly tongue in cheek, but what if Australians as a culture have a predisposition to cheating? At the moment its about NRL officials, but you dont have to look too far back to see cheating in their cricketing system and also their officiating as cricket umpires. The number of dodgy LBW decisions that cost us test wins in the past is a prime example. Greg Chappell, Greg Dyer, Steve Smith, David Warner - all cheats. Maybe its the pressure from the Australian public but maybe its also a desire to win at all costs.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
but 'cheats', yeah, most/all tope level sports people push the boundaries, and most people are parochial - most fans argue their teams were robbed whenever they lose a close one...

Correct. And here I am, a parochial man, who genuinely believes that Australians specifically are massive cheats :D. I acknowledge my own bias.....and I still reckon they're cheats.

(I also acknowledge that what I'm saying here is bigoted on national/cultural grounds, but it's a hill I'll happily die on).

JJ

Immortal
Correct. And here I am, a parochial man, who genuinely believes that Australians specifically are massive cheats :D. I acknowledge my own bias.....and I still reckon they're cheats.

(I also acknowledge that what I'm saying here is bigoted on national/cultural grounds, but it's a hill I'll happily die on).
And many Australians will be dying on the neighbouring hills

JJ

Immortal
this is mostly tongue in cheek, but what if Australians as a culture have a predisposition to cheating? At the moment its about NRL officials, but you dont have to look too far back to see cheating in their cricketing system and also their officiating as cricket umpires. The number of dodgy LBW decisions that cost us test wins in the past is a prime example. Greg Chappell, Greg Dyer, Steve Smith, David Warner - all cheats. Maybe its the pressure from the Australian public but maybe its also a desire to win at all costs.
yeah, sure - but remember Fred Goodall, and of course the South Africans, Indians and Pakistanis... not to mention the ABs... wanting to win isn't unique to Australians - but I agree that in the sports really important in respective countries boundaries get pushed much further - union in NZ a prime example