What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have they ever played league before....

lyon is a saint

Juniors
Rupeni Caucau, Rokocoko and Sitivatu that is?

I'm not a big lover of union over here, infact i hate it apart from the all blacks and fiji ( because they play decent rugby ).

But these 3 wingers are fantastic, have they ever played league and do you think they would suit it?

btw how many years has Rupeni got left at Agen? not heard much of him since he signed for them.

Corbin

Juniors
Rupeni recently got dropped from the Fiji side, and i havent heard a SINGLE thing since he left NZ which is weird...

strong_latte

Juniors
lyon is a saint said:
Rupeni Caucau, Rokocoko and Sitivatu that is?

I'm not a big lover of union over here, infact i hate it apart from the all blacks and fiji ( because they play decent rugby ).

But these 3 wingers are fantastic, have they ever played league and do you think they would suit it?

btw how many years has Rupeni got left at Agen? not heard much of him since he signed for them.

One thing about union that alot of people have lost sight of (due to the NH boring style of play) is that back play is often more exiting than even league, due to the amount of broken play! The Kiwi's and Wallabies showed on the weekend how tries can be scored.

playdaball

Bench
Doug Howlett (bro of ex Souths and Parra player Phil) played RL as did Caleb Ralph, Roger Randell and Tana. All current or recent ABs.

Iafeta

Referee
As did the likes of Sam Tuitupou, Piri Weepu, Sione Lauaki, Tone Kopelani etc. There's a whole hoard of them going around that league didn't unfortunately retain. Tuitupou for mine would be an absolute league sensation.

None of them have played league before . Rupeni Caucau was drop from the Fijian squad for not attending team training .
He's now back in the squad for the Samoan game .
We haven't heard of Caucau because he is playing rugby in France . But who has heard of Christian Cullen , Burke , Lai'titi , Anderson , Lyon , Blowers and gang since they switch to Superleague/European rugby ?

Lets not turn this into a league vs rugby thread but lets not forget that Noa Nadruku never played league before but he turn out alright .

playdaball said:
Doug Howlett (bro of ex Souths and Parra player Phil) played RL as did Caleb Ralph, Roger Randell and Tana. All current or recent ABs.

They might played league on saturday but also played rugby for their schools at the same time .

But according to Russ they are all Jrs league players who walk into the Alll Blacks .

taipan

Referee
strong_latte said:
One thing about union that alot of people have lost sight of (due to the NH boring style of play) is that back play is often more exiting than even league, due to the amount of broken play! The Kiwi's and Wallabies showed on the weekend how tries can be scored.

Often ? using it a bit liberally.You obviously didnt watch after the France test ,the Broncos V Sharks game the next day,or the Cowboys backline,or the Tigers backline,or the Storm backline or even at times the Warriors.In other words it would appear you see very little rugby league.
The all Blacks use their backs better than any other union team,then again the defence of the "Best of British" was ordinary at times.Even Greg Martin the former Wallaby fullback on back page said there was too much dropped ball in the French test,hence the amount of broken play.

bayrep

Juniors
strong_latte said:

Its interesting but I was thinking along the same lines over the weekend (And yes Taipan I did watch the other league games over the weekend). I thought the reason was that even though you have 2 more players on the field you generally get 5-6 players stuck in the last ruck or 8 players tied up in a scrum or lineout. This just creates more gaps for the backlines.

taipan

Referee
bayrep said:
Its interesting but I was thinking along the same lines over the weekend (And yes Taipan I did watch the other league games over the weekend). I thought the reason was that even though you have 2 more players on the field you generally get 5-6 players stuck in the last ruck or 8 players tied up in a scrum or lineout. This just creates more gaps for the backlines.

Wouldnt have anything to do with the field being 2 metres wider and the fact the teams on Saturday at Suncorp finally realised their is such a thing as a backline-maybe the Tuqiri,Sailor leaguies had a tad influence.Bayrep Id agree with you to a point if the damn fullbacks decided to run the ball on more occasions,and chance their ability,but unfortunately the expansive game seems only to be used regularly by the ABS and to a far lesser extent the Walls and way down the list the NH mob.You also must remember in a lot of the rucks and malls and lineouts the backs have plenty of time(and to a dgree rest) to set the attacking lines.Whereas in league ,the ball is in play longer and you dont have the breaks in play ,and with the constant running back and forth for the 10 metres,the game opens up more frequently.You take 4 men out of the defence with a gang tackle,before they can get back in positon leaves many gaps.
IMO The ABS use expansive play,the wallabies to alesser extent,and the vast majority of league teams do. Check the statistics for the highest try scorers in rugby league,they are backs by a country mile.Check the constant infusion of fullbacks,like Hunt ,Peachey,Minicello,Wesser,Shicsofske,Slater,Bowen,Stewart and then tell me that league backlines dont operate on a regular exciting expansive basis.

Kingbunny

Juniors
Polynesian Warrior said:
They might played league on saturday but also played rugby for their schools at the same time .

But according to Russ they are all Jrs league players who walk into the Alll Blacks .

Actually, Tana trialled for the Newcastle Knights but was rejected because he wasn't good enough to make the grade. ;-)

Now he's the New Zealand captain, I think.

Makes you wonder how many other players out there are that you don't hear about that have tried playing Rugby League but couldn't make the cut. I'm sure the NZ union wouldn't want to publicise anything about the national team having players the couldn't make it in league. Would they!

Te Kaha

First Grade
Kingbunny said:
Actually, Tana trialled for the Newcastle Knights but was rejected because he wasn't good enough to make the grade. ;-)

Now he's the New Zealand captain, I think.

Makes you wonder how many other players out there are that you don't hear about that have tried playing Rugby League but couldn't make the cut. I'm sure the NZ union wouldn't want to publicise anything about the national team having players the couldn't make it in league. Would they!

yet another idiot who doesn't let the truth get in the way of a good story...

Tana was NOT rejected by Newcastle.. After the trial he was offered a small development contract to stay in Newcastle. He was homesick and didn't like Newcastle so he came back home.

Now if you want talk sh*t take it to the fight club and leave it out of here.

playdaball

Bench
I read the Dom Post (Wgtn paper) where Luke McAllister was interviewed. He talked about his RL and soccer background whilst in England (his Dad Charlie played for Oldham). Young Luke admitted that he preferred to watch RL ahead of RU as a spectacle. He ended up playing RU as his school, Westlake Boys, played only RU.
GOOD LUCK to him tonight in his AB debut. I'm sure he'll do better than his Dad - Charlie is the Manawatu coach.

Kingbunny

Juniors
Te Kaha said:
yet another idiot who doesn't let the truth get in the way of a good story...

Tana was NOT rejected by Newcastle.. After the trial he was offered a small development contract to stay in Newcastle. He was homesick and didn't like Newcastle so he came back home.

Now if you want talk sh*t take it to the fight club and leave it out of here.

Nice language for a moderator, very responsible of you. Making comments like that and calling people idiots only creates a fight club.

You may have heard one story about Tana at Newcastle but I heard other.

There are always various stories to be told about an event, just read a newspaper or watch TV. It is the way of the world.
If you don't agree with someones comment on this forum, make a sensible comment not carry on like a spoilt little child.

Perhaps as a moderator you should learn to show maturity in YOUR responsiblilties.

Gipper

Juniors
Funnily enough you didnt say anything about there being multiple stories in your orignal post - just ambled going on about how he was rejected as if it was an established fact - despite the common knowledge he was a Junior Kiwi and only left the Knights because he got homesick...

Kingbunny

Juniors
Gipper said:
Funnily enough you didnt say anything about there being multiple stories in your orignal post - just ambled going on about how he was rejected as if it was an established fact - despite the common knowledge he was a Junior Kiwi and only left the Knights because he got homesick...

Perhaps you should learn to read again.

In my first post, I stated the story that I had heard.

I my second post I said, I heard one story. If someone else has another story, tell it, don't basically crap on someone.

Read again, it may help you comprehend what was written.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Kingbunny said:
Perhaps you should learn to read again.

In my first post, I stated the story that I had heard.

I my second post I said, I heard one story. If someone else has another story, tell it, don't basically crap on someone.

Read again, it may help you comprehend what was written.

Oh boo hoo.. go and have a cry.... You posted heresay as fact in an inflamatory post. you are wrong.. get over it.. you are only in here to troll... take it elsewhere.

Kingbunny

Juniors
Te Kaha said:
Oh boo hoo.. go and have a cry.... You posted heresay as fact in an inflamatory post. you are wrong.. get over it.. you are only in here to troll... take it elsewhere.

Troll now.

Mate you are going well. No crying from me, you were the one who got defensive and aggressive towards my post.

I may be wrong but big deal, people get it wrong sometimes. Unless of course they are perfect which is the message that you are giving me about yourself.

If people cannot comment about what they hear, then we are living in a sad world state.

My god I need a tissue to wipe me tears away. Seriously though, big deal, don't have a big crap, treat posters with respect before sh*tting all over them. After all you are the so called moderator.

If people get it wrong no crapping, try discussion.

Latest posts