What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne and "his attitude".

EelsFan05

Bench
There's is definitely two polar opposite opinions amongst fans about whether Hayne has the right attitude to be great. There is defiantly no doubt in the world that he is the most gifted player on our roster. But does he have the right attitude to be consistently good and lead this team?

When Hindy raised some of Haynes defiediencies this week there was a call to arms from Hayne supporters here and elsewhere and the typical argument is that he is misunderstood. Those same people crucified a club legend whom, whilat not possessing the same talent as Hayne, would be the first picked in my team everyday of the week.

Last night on Channel 9 news, whilst talking about players making money in the offseason playing union Hayne said, "I think it would be good. I think players would really enjoy that. Saves ya doing preseason, I think that's probably a bonus". This is a typical comment that make me believe that Hayne will never be the player he could be. He doesn't want to make the extra effort and demands to play fullback because he doesn't want to defend.

Hayne may or may not stay at the end of this contract. I'm not sure which way I would rather it go.

Gordy

Juniors
Pretty much sums up the generation really. You can't be expected to work hard to get anywhere! It should just fall into your lap.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Pretty sure the 'saves pre-season' talk is about fitness.

So if you play rugby in the off-season, (in theory) you wouldn't need all the pre-season fitness work.

For me, Hayne just shouldn't speak to journo's. Some of them go to him with an axe to grind, or a point to prove about him. Might just be me, but he hasn't put his hand up to play Japanese rugby this off-season has he???
He might just be saying something to 'support a mate' in Benji.

As far as him "demanding" to play fullback.... um what? Talk about out of context fiction.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I'm Gen X myself but am not one for broadly generalising people just because of their age. I think the world is far less black and white than that.

As for Hayne - If he played for anyone other than Parra he would be my least favourite player in the NRL. He is selfish in his decision making, lazy and is a grub on the field. He is also is missing key leadership attributes that prevent him from being anywhere near the games elite. Sticky has his work cut out with him.

As for the comparison with Hindmarsh that is alluded to above. Chalk and cheese. Hindmarsh seemed to do all his talking on the field but probably wasn't a natural leader of people. I think a good captain needs to do more than just inspire on the field. I felt there were times where he came across as quite nervous or unsure about a process or an outcome in interviews. I'm not saying you need to be blindly optimistic but I don't think other players want to see that vulnerability in a leader all of the time.

He might have been a bit boring to some but I think Nathan Cayless was the last great leader that we had at the club. Looking through the ranks I don't really see anyone else in the squad with good leadership capabilities. Tim Mannah has potential but probably isn't there yet (plus he is Gen Y so he has no chance :) ).

All great clubs have great leaders of the team. Unfortunately Hayne hasn't shown he is likely to be that person. Until someone sticks their hand up we will continue to be a laughing stock.

What a shit thread. So I guess people on here hang out with Hayne and know him really well to make these judgements.

#toomuchtimeonyourhands

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
union or what ever shouldn't be used as an excuse to get out of pre season training

not sure how much you can take out of a one line comment like this but Hayne said on his FB the other day that he was looking forward to getting back into pre-season training

Pretty much sums up the generation really. You can't be expected to work hard to get anywhere! It should just fall into your lap.
Thats it Gordy, you have hit the nail on the head.
It's not just Hayne there is a whole generation of them out there.

EelsFan05

Bench
What a shit thread. So I guess people on here hang out with Hayne and know him really well to make these judgements.

#toomuchtimeonyourhands

Thanks for your input. It was an opinion, you don't have to agree with it.

Heaven forbid Hayne be critised.

Last edited:

Maroubra Eel

Coach
With the money we are paying him we could buy an elite player. Hayne is great but he's not on the same level as the elite.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
the by product of the modern day footballer who realises that the game he plays is his profession rather than what he loves

Suitman

Post Whore
There was a joke? :)

You know what they say about jokes that people have to explain? :lol:

P.S I did get your play on words it's just that I have had a Gutful of people making fun of my name.

If it makes you feel any better, Bigfella likes it.

Suity

Latest posts