What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne named games best player

johns_reds

First Grade
yet still had plenty to do to score that one try. *sigh* but goes unnoticed

Catch the ball and fall over the line? You see 3 tries like that a game, the one who should get credit is Sandow, it was great placement of the kick to setup Hayne.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I'll take Inglis over Hayne every day of the week.

The complete opposite for me.

As Natheel said, Hayne does a lot more work off the ball than Inglis ever has.

Inglis has been the target of a media jizzfest since he set up that freakish try in the 2008 Centenary Test. Might look good but what else does he do for the other 79.9 minutes of a match?

Inglis is in the same mould as $BW - does one or two good things in most matches but spends the rest of the time running up and down the field with his teammates.

However in saying that, I admit that Inglis played about the best game I have seen him in last Thursday night. It's amazing what you can do when you put in a decent amount of effort.

POPEYE

Coach
Hayne has to add more effort on his goal line defence, start by being in the right place

Glen

Bench
Hayne has to add more effort on his goal line defence, start by being in the right place
Ever watched him play? This is a myth - he has made an insane amount of try-saving tackles in recent years. Maybe it is just the high volumes of tries that are scored against Parramatta anyway that creates this impression

Had a quick look at the running stats for the year, comparing GI to Hayne.

Hayne averages 180m in 2014. GI 148m.

Hayne has had 13 games of more than 150m, GI 6.

GI's best running game for the year-233m. Haynes best -303m.

Hayne has AVERAGED 250m in each of his last 8 games. GI has averaged 186m in his BEST 8 games this year (average 130m in his last 8 games).

That's not to put GI's efforts down, but the numbers Hayne is putting up is remarkable.

Bretto

Bench
Had a quick look at the running stats for the year, comparing GI to Hayne.

Hayne averages 180m in 2014. GI 148m.

Hayne has had 13 games of more than 150m, GI 6.

GI's best running game for the year-233m. Haynes best -303m.

Hayne has AVERAGED 250m in each of his last 8 games. GI has averaged 186m in his BEST 8 games this year (average 130m in his last 8 games).

That's not to put GI's efforts down, but the numbers Hayne is putting up is remarkable.

To be fair though, the rest of the Eels team are not great. Hayne makes that team - without him, they're a complete rabble.

Conversely, Souths have more attacking weapons than just GI. When GI decides to turn it on, like he did against Brisbane, Souths are a pretty formidable side.

To be fair though, the rest of the Eels team are not great. Hayne makes that team - without him, they're a complete rabble.

Conversely, Souths have more attacking weapons than just GI. When GI decides to turn it on, like he did against Brisbane, Souths are a pretty formidable side.

A couple of weeks ago everyone was saying how pedestrian Souths were with Reynolds and Sutton in the halves. They don't have that many more attacking weapons, it's just that they have a better side across the park, with a strong forward pack that gives them a great roll forward.

jk13

First Grade
Will be interesting to see how gi goes next year with him being the only marque player

Bretto

Bench
A couple of weeks ago everyone was saying how pedestrian Souths were with Reynolds and Sutton in the halves. They don't have that many more attacking weapons, it's just that they have a better side across the park, with a strong forward pack that gives them a great roll forward.

So, what you're saying is: Souths don't have that many more attacking weapons, except for every player across the park and their entire forward pack. Got it.

POPEYE

Coach
I don't think you do get it.

I do, the same reason Hayne may win the Dally M because he has few competitors for points in his team, the Eels rely on his machinations alone to win the day, which is why Parramatta is an also ran. The top teams distribute their heroic antics amongst more than one player, which is why they aren't struggling . . . and their players don't have to accrue extraordinary brownie points in stats

POPEYE

Coach
There isn't a team in the NRL that wouldn't be improved with Hayne in it.

That is beyond doubt, the same as there wouldn't be a better player in the world than Hayne with ball in hand . . . it's a lackadaisical approach to what's in between that brings him back to the fold

Murf

Juniors
That try against Saints in 09 is to this day still the best I have ever seen. What a player, what a freak.

At his best he leaves every other fullback in his dust, at eighty percent there are probably only one or two that can match him.

We have all heard all the arguments "if Hayne was in a better team he would be even better" and "Hayne goes missing" etc etc. They are all of little consequence though, let's all just sit back and watch him go about his work and enjoy the fact that we get to see a once in a generation player run around.

Ps. Popeye, did Hayne f**k you and never call you back or something? Your hate for him is weird and scary to me.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Will be interesting to see how gi goes next year with him being the only marque player

GI won't be the only marquee player Issac Luke is up there as well. Tom Burgess is improving and becoming more damaging each week he could end up possibly being better than George. But I do expect George to lift even more as well.

POPEYE

Coach
That try against Saints in 09 is to this day still the best I have ever seen. What a player, what a freak.

At his best he leaves every other fullback in his dust, at eighty percent there are probably only one or two that can match him.

We have all heard all the arguments "if Hayne was in a better team he would be even better" and "Hayne goes missing" etc etc. They are all of little consequence though, let's all just sit back and watch him go about his work and enjoy the fact that we get to see a once in a generation player run around.

Ps. Popeye, did Hayne f**k you and never call you back or something? Your hate for him is weird and scary to me.

I don't hate anyone in Rugby League, I keep it for special occasions. I've seen so many 'best' players that hero worshippers can't see their shortcomings . . . once in a generation my arse, that's an insult to blokes who try for 80 minutes, year in and year out. I stand in awe at what he does when he feels like it as does anyone else

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
452038-jarryd-hayne.jpg

What are you doing at the supermarket in your playing gear, Jaz?

Reply: f**kin nothing.