What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne~NFL~RU~Tits~Eels~Dad~Jailed~Mistrial~Jailed 5yrs~Retrial~Jailed~Appeal

Eelementary

Post Whore
Bellamy does the same thing.
Someone needs to yell at our players - our coach is too docile to do it.
To me Brad Arthur is not a leader.

But who ever it was above saying our hooker is a leader is nuts.

I agree - Arthur is a little docile.

I said Mahoney is a leader - he has pulled players into line, made decisions on what play we are running, and is often the first player in to congratulate a teammate when a try is scored.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Communication is a leadership quality. Moses is a better communicator than Brad Arthur. Andrew Johns use to yell at his players as does Bellamy. Both great leaders.
He also leads by example better than Nathan Brown who always gives away way too many penalties by his ill discipline.

Personally, I don't think players who yell at teammates are great leaders.

Michael Jordan instilled fear into his teammates, and would yell at them when they messed up.

I don't think that made him a great leader, as great of a player as he was; Toni Kukoc was an outstanding young talent, who was curbed greatly by being intimidated into mediocrity by Jordan.

Joey may have been captain, but I would wager the players responded better to Buderus, Simpson, Kennedy, and even O'Davis' leadership, than a bloke who yelled at you when you invariably made a simple error.

I don't believe that a truly good leader just yells at their team when things are down; I also don't think that a truly good leader is passive.

They are inspirational, encouraging, but able to lay down the law.

I think the captain we have now, Clint Gutherson, is a pretty terrific leader.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Personally, I don't think players who yell at teammates are great leaders.

Michael Jordan instilled fear into his teammates, and would yell at them when they messed up.

I don't think that made him a great leader, as great of a player as he was; Toni Kukoc was an outstanding young talent, who was curbed greatly by being intimidated into mediocrity by Jordan.

Joey may have been captain, but I would wager the players responded better to Buderus, Simpson, Kennedy, and even O'Davis' leadership, than a bloke who yelled at you when you invariably made a simple error.

I don't believe that a truly good leader just yells at their team when things are down; I also don't think that a truly good leader is passive.

They are inspirational, encouraging, but able to lay down the law.

I think the captain we have now, Clint Gutherson, is a pretty terrific leader.
You don't need to have great communication skills when you lead with your actions on the field. Not many players have consistently dominated a team sport in the way that Jordan and Johns have.

T-Boon

Coach
I think Allan Border is another good example of a guy who had his own aggressive type of leadership skills that was totally necessary at the time who would be the exact kind of leader Parra needs with some of the soft merkins we have. I am sick of the Arthur approach to our players who then basically crap on him by never improving.
Moses worked his arse off the last 12 months getting his defense to another level when it was a big weakness, so when he sees some big dope miss a soft tackle he should get in his face and spit all over his face. Then let Brad Arthur kiss him and make him feel better like the over rated bludger of a coach he is.

You guys would label Border a sook.

T-Boon

Coach
Nathan Hindmarsh says hello.

Second rowers don't count as their game is built on being down and out. Making a lot of tackles, important tackles, falling on loose balls etc.
Hindmarsh was an uphill skier and was actually crap as a downhill skier.
Damn I am in form.

T-Boon

Coach
I agree - Arthur is a little docile.

I said Mahoney is a leader - he has pulled players into line, made decisions on what play we are running, and is often the first player in to congratulate a teammate when a try is scored.

I like Mahoney but he was worse than Moses last year and was not much of a leader.

Eelementary

Post Whore
You don't need to have great communication skills when you lead with your actions on the field. Not many players have consistently dominated a team sport in the way that Jordan and Johns have.

Kobe Bryant, and LeBron James, have been just as influential, and dominant, and often playing for less-talented teams.

Jordan, and Johns, were uber-competitive, and extremely brilliant athletes in their codes - but I would not class either player as a brilliant leader.

Great leaders, imo, don't lead through fear, intimidation, and isolation.

T-Boon

Coach
Kobe Bryant, and LeBron James, have been just as influential, and dominant, and often playing for less-talented teams.

Jordan, and Johns, were uber-competitive, and extremely brilliant athletes in their codes - but I would not class either player as a brilliant leader.

Controversially Hitler was a "great" leader and he was the ultimate screamer.

strider

Post Whore
Good leaders can be harsh - but also know how/when to be harsh and channel it the right way

I remember when I was a 19 year old and started playing seniors footy (aussie rules) ....

our captain/coach was a really good leader - he got your respect from his ability, he would be harsh when needed and praise you when deserved, he'd also kick your arse if you deserved it - but in the end you felt he had your back and totally respected him

then you had our vice captain (who ended up captain coach a few years later) - again a very very good player, tough as, but when he was a mad merkin at you he was just an angry prick - didn't inspire you

strider

Post Whore

yeah from what I have seen I don't think Jordan had most of his players onside - and I think he was lucky he had phil jackson there to keep everyone together

i think people like jordan (and probably johns) have the ability to inspire some people, but only those who have a personality to respond well to his harsh way .... others wouldn't respond and he'd just get them offside if not for someone else to keep them onside

Eelementary

Post Whore
yeah from what I have seen I don't think Jordan had most of his players onside - and I think he was lucky he had phil jackson there to keep everyone together

i think people like jordan (and probably johns) have the ability to inspire some people, but only those who have a personality to respond well to his harsh way .... others wouldn't respond and he'd just get them offside if not for someone else to keep them onside

I agree 100%.

Luc Longley himself has stated a few times that Jordan led through fear, and bullying, and it worked for some people, but for most, it alienated them; what kept the team together was Phil Jackson, and the success they had.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

Neither would I. Both clubs (Chicago and Newcastle) had enough leadership elsewhere for it not to be a problem though - a luxury that Kobe and Lebron have rarely experienced.

Jordan and Johns only needed to be leaders during a game and that they both were.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I agree 100%.

Luc Longley himself has stated a few times that Jordan led through fear, and bullying, and it worked for some people, but for most, it alienated them; what kept the team together was Phil Jackson, and the success they had.
The Jordan and Phil dynamic was critical. Phil couldn't get it done at the Bulls without Jordan and vice versa. They understood their roles and both executed them to perfection.

Those closest thing I have seen in league is Bellamy and Smith.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hayne had high effort games just not consistently.
Well he did. In 2014 when he won the Dally M medal he only had 40+ touches twice, including 49 in that final game he almost rescued against the Raiders. By comparison, Billy Slater had 40 touches nearly every week. Ironically, the fullback who won the comp that year had similar involvement to Hayne, however Inglis is the outlier amongst premiership winning fullbacks. They are otherwise consistently highly involved. Souths also played a very lowbrow style, just running over the top of merkins through the middle.

Bear in mind too, that these are just stats for involvement on the ball. Off the ball Hayne was never to be seen, while Slater, Coote, Tedesco, Papenhuyzen were always in motion.