What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne plane hits turbulence

hybrideel

Bench
:roll: :roll: :roll:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/hayne-plane-hits-turbulence/story-e6frext9-1225900761610

IS IT a train? Is it a plane? Is it over? The Sydney Roosters might have committed the greatest sin on the game's young fans since David Gallop stole Harry Potter's glasses. The Roosters, following the kind of win on Saturday night that has many declaring them the new premiership favourites, have risked exposing the game's No. 1 drawcard as a player that can be got.
Behind a good kick chase and a solid line, the - albeit, few - deficiencies in Jarryd Hayne's game were exposed on Saturday.
And so were Parramatta.
Without Hayne, the Eels aren't much better than an A-grade side and any attempt to pose as genuine title contenders is just posturing. But now it appears that even with him the Eels are in for a long, hard end to the winter. They are no hope to win the comp.
All that remains is for the rest of the NRL to take the blueprint offered by the Roosters and the Hayne Plane will be grounded.
And so too the Eels.
Hayne is most dangerous on the kick return and the Roosters shut that down.
While he did break free briefly for a trademark try, they did enough to ensure that from now on Hayne's significance can be dulled.
The Roosters' plan was simple, but disciplined. They kicked early in the count to catch Hayne out of position.
It forced him to turn and retrieve the ball rather than be positioned to take it going forward.
That, accompanied by a ruler-straight defensive line on the kick chase, had Hayne struggling to find the soft spots to puncture.
The Roosters also kept their line on both sides of the ruck, shutting down Hayne's option to slip to the opposite side and catch out slack defenders. And they kept their line straight.
This blueprint is disastrous for the Eels.
The Roosters' lateral movement also highlighted Hayne's defensive laziness and they exploited it.
Hayne is no doubt brilliant with the ball, and occasionally in defence - as he was two weeks ago when he held up David Stagg.
But on the weekend the great Bozo Fulton declared that Hayne should watch Billy Slater on eagle cam to see why Slater is the game's No. 1 defensive fullback.
He always positions himself perfectly.
When you consider that for every try you let in you have to score one just to balance the scoreboard, the significance is more clear.
By kicking early, the Roosters exploited Hayne's defence another way.
His small failings undermine his game and, if not rectified, will bring down any argument that he belongs where his brilliance threatens to take him.
Queensland rejoiced when Hayne was named at fullback for NSW in games two and three this year.
This sounds ridiculous.
When I suggested on The Matty Johns Show that I wouldn't have picked Hayne at fullback for the Blues, the crowd booed.
Their reaction pinkened my delicate cheeks with its ferocity, but I knew what Queensland knew. Hayne has one of the slowest play-the-balls in the NRL, which sounds almost trivial, right?
But Origin games are all about yardage. Win the yardage battle, win the game.
And the strength of every set of six begins with the kick return. If the tackle is lost there - if it's slow and the defence is allowed to set - the whole set becomes a defensive bash-up.
Slater almost always pokes his head through the line to land at speed and set up his team's dominance for the next five tackles.
While more brilliant, Hayne is less consistent.
The Roosters have temporarily grounded the Hayne Plane and if he weren't so brilliant you could believe he'll never make it back.
But he's too good for that. He's just refuelling.

sarahk

Juniors
What a stupid article. I think i chose the wrong career. These guys get PAID to write crap.

Parra Guru

Coach
My god someone hire Paul Kent a prostitute so the miserable bastard smiles for once in his life.

He's been waiting a while to prove his point he made on the MJ show... what... 2 months ago??

Parra Guru

Coach
Their reaction pinkened my delicate cheeks with its ferocity, but I knew what Queensland knew. Hayne has one of the slowest play-the-balls in the NRL, which sounds almost trivial, right?

Pretty sure QLD weren't exactly rubbing their hands together when Gidley was dumped for Hayne.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Umm...Pretty sure none of the other constantly named players (namely Lockyer and Slater) were as dominant as Hayne was at age 22...Super players, sure. But how many 22-year olds are consistently the best on field?

Hayne is improving every week, and it's starting to scare everyone.

born an eel

Bench
i stopped reading at "withput Hayne parra are just an A grade side".
Paul Kent is a tool and obviously is just trying to get a reaction like the segment on mattys show but all it is doing is affecting his credibility which after statements like that is zero.
People do not like people who try to create controversy for controversy's sake.

SDM

First Grade
Rooters blueprint = present a straight line in defence.

And now the other coaches are going to cash in on this awesome coaching innovation.

Next week, Brian Smith and Paul Kent are working on a new tactic called the dummy, where you pretend to pass, but then hold the ball and keep on running.

born an eel

Bench

And now the other coaches are going to cash in on this awesome coaching innovation.

Next week, Brian Smith and Paul Kent are working on a new tactic called the dummy, where you pretend to pass, but then hold the ball and keep on running.
don't forget the "play mistake free footy and complete sets"
what innovation

bildo

Juniors
Everyone knows Paul Kent is a wanker who justifies his existence to News Limited by winding up the plebs. Ignore him and he goes away.

Wise Old Eel

Juniors

AHAHAHA! Very good! Thanks SDM, I needed a laugh this morning!

Seriously, the only bigger morons than the [so called] journalists of the Telecrap are the morons who take what they write as gospel.

spiderdan

Bench
i actually thought hayne played pretty well in a well beaten side. he did a lot more than that one try. what the idiot that wrote that article doesn't mention is how a part of the rooster's tactics was to kick on early tackles to catch hayne out of position or how having a scrum base of carney, pearce and anasta (i reckon the best in the nrl right now) firing simultaneously gave the roosters a lot more width in attack which exposed us out wide and then through the middle.

the rooster's tactics worked because they are in good form and had the personell to use those tactics. to say that other sides can now copy the chooks blue print doesn't give them credit for how good a side they are right now and how well they played.

parra didn't play poorly last saturday, we were just thumped by a way better side on the night. if the chooks maintain that form they will probably win the comp.

ps. i still think we need another point of attack to complement hayne otherwise we wont win the comp. the way our halves are right now i can't see it happening and mateo is the only player apart from hayne that has the vision and ability to create opportunities. would really like to see anderson give mateo some more freedom to do what he has the ability to do (from lock).

tresurehunt

Juniors
keep the bad press coming ,i wonder what the titans are thinking now ,should be an interesting game ,parra wont be fired up ,......................much.

Wise Old Eel

Juniors
i actually thought hayne played pretty well in a well beaten side. he did a lot more than that one try. what the idiot that wrote that article doesn't mention is how a part of the rooster's tactics was to kick on early tackles to catch hayne out of position or how having a scrum base of carney, pearce and anasta (i reckon the best in the nrl right now) firing simultaneously gave the roosters a lot more width in attack which exposed us out wide and then through the middle.

the rooster's tactics worked because they are in good form and had the personell to use those tactics. to say that other sides can now copy the chooks blue print doesn't give them credit for how good a side they are right now and how well they played.

parra didn't play poorly last saturday, we were just thumped by a way better side on the night. if the chooks maintain that form they will probably win the comp.

ps. i still think we need another point of attack to complement hayne otherwise we wont win the comp. the way our halves are right now i can't see it happening and mateo is the only player apart from hayne that has the vision and ability to create opportunities. would really like to see anderson give mateo some more freedom to do what he has the ability to do (from lock).

But we have the superstar in waiting....young Mortimer :roll:

Daneel

Bench
As a qlder i can tell you we were rubbing our hands together when gidley was named at fullback for game 1 instead of hayne. Every qlder i know was laughing about that one.

mrpwnd

Bench
lol at Paul Kent. Absolute tool, puts him well on par with the nutjobs at today tonight. Spends his entire life stalking Parramatta and pouncing on the tiniest disgressions. I've seen alot of people with some serious agendas, but at the very least I can credit them for trying to hide it in some way, Kent just goes out of his way to pull something stupid out of his ass. Thank god his articles are so obviously targeted towards the idiotic minority of society.

EelsFan05

Bench
I'm sure this article was trotted out after the round one loss to the Dragons. Kick earlier to the corners, turn Hayne around and present a straight line. The Dragons had worked Hayne out for the rest of the comp.

Please... I am sure this is the game plan to all fullbacks. At least Kent might give Hayne a point to prove. If we beat the Titans and the Broncos do the Eels and the Hayne Plane become the DT's media darlings again?

mrpwnd

Bench
I'm sure this article was trotted out after the round one loss to the Dragons. Kick earlier to the corners, turn Hayne around and present a straight line. The Dragons had worked Hayne out for the rest of the comp.

Please... I am sure this is the game plan to all fullbacks. At least Kent might give Hayne a point to prove. If we beat the Titans and the Broncos do the Eels and the Hayne Plane become the DT's media darlings again?
Exactly, people(especially alot of the Hayne critics from that roosters match) don' realise that against dangerous fullbacks, those kinds of tactics are so effective, thus the reason they are viable tactics. The only reason it works is because the roosters could effectively afford to ignore the rest of the team and just focus on shutting Hayne down, like what the Storm did during the 09 GF. It's these instances that Parra need to step up as a team and start performing better individually, so many people underestimate the effort it takes for teams to shut down Hayne and that leaves alot of room for the 16 other players playing to work with, Parra failed to capitalise on that against the roosters, thus the loss. Every good game we played, the team lifts and theres mass confusion in teams as to who to prioritise defense towards. It's annoying that despite all that, Parra still continually resort to this whole 'rely on Hayne' strategy that becomes so predictable against higher tier teams.

Latest posts