What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne's position suits Eels, for now

Gronk

Staff member
Hayne's position suits Eels, for now

BRAD WALTER
20 Jul, 2011 12:00 AM
PARRAMATTA coach Stephen Kearney isn't sure whether Jarryd Hayne's long-term future lies at five-eighth, but he believes it is the position the Eels superstar is best suited to for the club at the moment.
Kearney last night named Hayne to wear the No.6 jersey for the first time this season against Canterbury on Friday night, although he has played five-eighth in the last two games. The switch was initially made after halfback Jeff Robson withdrew from the round-18 match against Wests Tigers, and Hayne volunteered to move from fullback to five-eighth so Casey McGuire could feed the scrums.
Robson has recovered from his hamstring injury and is available to play against the Bulldogs, but Kearney has opted to stick with Hayne at five-eighth and Luke Burt at fullback. ''I think it is a position where he has been able to benefit the team but whether it is a long-term move or a short-term move I couldn't tell you at this stage,'' Kearney said.
''At the moment it is what best suits this group of players but we don't know how long it will be that way. It is a week-by-week thing.''
With South Sydney halfback Chris Sandow and Bulldogs five-eighth Ben Roberts joining the Eels next season, Daniel Mortimer faces a tough road back from the NSW Cup where he has been playing with Wentworthville.
However, Kearney backed the 21-year-old playmaker to rise to the challenge. ''He has got a contract with us for another year that we intend to honour,'' Kearney said. ''I just feel that the way the players in those roles have gone in the past eight or so weeks has been OK so I haven't wanted to make changes.
''But 'Morts' played well for Wentworthville last week so if he continues to do that I am sure he will eventually get another chance.''
NSW coach Ricky Stuart declared five-eighth was Hayne's best position as an explanation for choosing Josh Dugan ahead of him in the Blues No.1 jersey for Origin I, but Eels utility Reni Maitua said Hayne was also one of the game's top fullbacks.
''I don't know if it's his future position. He's a brilliant fullback as well,'' Maitua said. ''In the meantime, while things seem to be working for us, there's no point in changing him from five-eighth.''
http://www.portstephensexaminer.com...n-suits-eels-for-now/2231874.aspx?storypage=0

grapeape

Juniors
Morts us wasting our cap space. Best to cut and run now so we can use his money on someone else next year.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I was wondering what Sk's thoughts were for next year.

Hayne seems to be to go to man and our halves are a problem, maybe next year it wont be a problem so he can just concentrate on playing fullback.

I do think he plays better with ball in hand but you only need so many halves.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Morts us wasting our cap space. Best to cut and run now so we can use his money on someone else next year.

Who would take him though?

They'd want to pay him a lot less than we are, and that would mean we'd be paying part of his contract next year, which would come out of our cap.

The only incentive would be if Morts knew he was no chance of playing first grade next year, and therefore had limited opportunity to win a new contract with any NRL side for 2013.

Then he might agree to an early release to a new club, especially if that club offered him more than a 2 year deal.

But with the new tv deal coming up and a possible massive increase in the salary cap, few clubs or players are going to agree to long-term deals.

Most likely is Morts hangs around next year, maybe plays a few games of first grade due to injury, and is released at the end of his contract.

Then somebody will pick him up on about $100k, Tim Smith-style.

oldmancraigy

Coach

:roll:

If only it worked that way.

We pay him next year no matter what - if we cut and run, then the ONLY way that he doesn't count against our cap is if we convince someone else to take him OR he agrees not to be paid for next year...

:roll:

If only it worked that way.

We pay him next year no matter what - if we cut and run, then the ONLY way that he doesn't count against our cap is if we convince someone else to take him OR he agrees not to be paid for next year...

Its amazing how some fans seem to think cutting a bloke mid contract is acceptable, but when SBW walked out of the bulldogs mid contract he was scum of the earth (lol @ the bulldogs).

We made a dud call on Morts, not much we can do except hope that he comes good now.

Parra Guru

Coach
its amazing how some fans seem to think cutting a bloke mid contract is acceptable, but when sbw walked out of the bulldogs mid contract he was scum of the earth (lol @ the bulldogs).

We made a dud call on morts, not much we can do except hope that he comes good now.

massive difference!

Eels Dude

Coach
Really? So its fine for the club not to honour their obligations under a contract, but the players are bound to the terms they sign?

That's right. SBW probably isn't the best example because he just walked out without telling a soul. Jamie Lyon is probably a better example in comparison. But yeah you can't just cut players when you feel like it. That's not how a contract works.