What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Head hoping for Tigers extension

innsaneink

Referee
Head hoping for Tigers extension

June 13, 2008 WESTS Tigers have finally opened talks to extend Mathew Head's career at the club, but the half-back feels like everyone has just been waiting for him to break down again.
After two knee reconstructions crippled his finals years at St George Illawarra and a shoulder injury cut short his opportunities with Hull in England, Head joined the Tigers on a one-year contract in 2008.

It was his final chance to prove he wasn't injury-prone and could make a career of rugby league.
Eight NRL games in succession has since proven to Head he's overcome his injury battles, but the 26-year-old feels like the jury is still out among NRL clubs.

“I know where clubs stand. They've seen that I've been injured the last couple of years and I suppose some clubs or maybe even the Tigers are waiting for me to get injured again,'' Head said.

“I've just got to prove that is not the case and my body is right now and I'm really enjoying it here at the club.

“I just have to keep playing how I'm playing and hope that something comes.''

Tigers coach Tim Sheens confirmed he would put an offer to Head's manager this week easing the player's concerns that he may be forced to find his fourth club in three years.

Head is really keen to remain at the Tigers, not only to repay the lifeline they threw him when he returned from England but because he senses big things are capable at the club.

“I think 2005 (premiership win) showed what the Tigers can do. I think we've got a team the same as that,'' he said.

“A great attacking team and we can be a great defensive team when we knuckle down.

“If we can rock up on the day with the right attitude we're going to beat most teams and we've just got to keep proving to ourselves that we can do it.

“I think I'm starting to get a little bit of consistency there and still each week I'm on the verge of just making my spot, the number seven, my own.

“I've just got to keep working hard during the week and the extras which I've been doing.''

Head and the Tigers will face a tough test at ANZ Stadium on Sunday when they confront Parramatta and field an injury-depleted line-up.

Hulking winger Taniela Tuiaki has been ruled out due to an infected boil on his arm, with Beau Ryan added to the side.

Prop Keith Galloway remains in doubt with a foot injury and will be given until an hour before kick off to prove his fitness.

The loss of Tuiaki and possibly Galloway would be a cruel blow to the Tigers who are already without big props Todd Payten, Ryan O'Hara and Bryce Gibbs.

Mish

Juniors
Talks are in place.... VERY GOOD. Now I will cross my fingers and pray that we don't lose the best shot we have at backing up finals appearances over the next few years.

Mish

Juniors
hahaha check out the new adverts on the page! What a good way for ebay to make money. Im guessing the tags are helping ebay to know what items to show us that they have listed. hahaha i can see i will buy more than i already do on ebay now that its invaded the forum.

Pedro Collins

Juniors
Matthew head is a genuine halfback and we really need to keep him. I know it's only 8 games and the bloke breaks down all the time but if we do not give him a chance I am going to jump on the MOTH bandwagon and that hurts me.

Matt Head is a must, the demand for halfbacks in the modern game is very high, and he is up there with the best of them.

sober_siddhi

Juniors
He's not going anywhere (fitness pending, I guess). The club have always rated him and have always hoped to extend his contract, but initially there were fears about his fitness.

Apparently when he came to the club he told the coaching staff that while he was at the Dragons he only had to train when he felt up to it. The Tigers coaching staff told him that if he was going to be part of their plans, then he'd have to get up to full fitness and train just like the other blokes. Apparently he has been busting his gut to achieve this and had been doing a lot of one-on-one stuff with Leeds early on.

The club love Morris... the guy is a class act off the field in regards to his charity work etc. but they are not blind to the fact that he has been a failure in the #7. They conceded this internally a long time ago. My info is that while they love the bloke, he is on 260k and if he asked for a release he'd get it (not that I can imagine him requesting one).

Also, Galloway has been on 290k - I'd thought he was on 220k like most others. Not sure what the situation with his contract extension is though.

Last edited:

Vicious

Bench
He's not going anywhere (fitness pending, I guess). The club have always rated him and have always hoped to extend his contract, but initially there were fears about his fitness.

Apparently when he came to the club he told the coaching staff that while he was at the Dragons he only had to train when he felt up to it. The Tigers coaching staff told him that if he was going to be part of their plans, then he'd have to get up to full fitness and train just like the other blokes. Apparently he has been busting his gut to achieve this and had been doing a lot of one-on-one stuff with Leeds early on.

The club love Morris... the guy is a class act off the field in regards to his charity work etc. but they are not blind to the fact that he has been a failure in the #7. They conceded this internally a long time ago. My info is that while they love the bloke, he is on 260k and if he asked for a release he'd get it (not that I can imagine him requesting one).

Also, Galloway has been on 290k - I'd thought he was on 220k like most others. Not sure what the situation with his contract extension is though.

What`s doing with Te`o ???

Vicious

Bench
What a basis for signing someone to wear the 7 shirt. He signs a jersey for spastics, derros and the like. Mate I couldn't give a f**k if our halfback was rooting supermodels at 6am on the pavement outside sapphire on game day, snorting coke off their tits and in the gossip pages every 5 minutes for being a misogynistic rooter - all i give a flying about is that he sets up tries, kicks, passes and does the things expected of a first grade halfback. Charity work doesn't put points or dollars in the bank, wins do ... and morris has done f**k all for us in terms of wins. He's a donkey

If the club has accepted he has been a failure, why was the mug who tried to polish a turd rewarded with a new 3 year deal for signing someone on 260k a yr to play halfback when that person is about as creative as John Owens at his best.

Just thank the lord the mugs in the media are not speaking about Head for Origin III. We'd miss him like nothing else. It would be like going from a mini skirt and boob tube wearing hottie to a size 26 trackie dack wearing minno shazza.

Morris is even more sh*t than Benji Reynolds - words I never thought I would utter about a football player

LOL.......No arguments about Head being a class act and Morris being a player we should be finding a new club for, rather than waiting for him to come to us. He won`t be coming to us in a hurry as there is no hope in hell that any other NRL club will offer him anywhere near what we`re paying him. I`d tell him that he`ll spend all next season in reserve grade unless he signs with a Super League club now !!!
No doubt re-signing Head is essential, but in what i`ve seen of him, I reckon Wayde Dunley will be a better first grade halfback than even Matthew Head and to me he looks just about ready !!!

sober_siddhi

Juniors
If the club has accepted he has been a failure, why was the mug who tried to polish a turd rewarded with a new 3 year deal for signing someone on 260k a yr to play halfback when that person is about as creative as John Owens at his best.

I guess that's a fair question. I think that anyone with even a mild interest in the club would feel that there have been a number of questionable recruitment decisions made.

But would you honestly suggest sacking Sheens and co. over it? They're moving on from it and doing all they can do get a fit and firing Mathew Head partnering Benji in the halves... and that's what we all want to see.

Bench
These are the figures I was told. I expressed disbelief at Galloway's salary particularly, but my source was adamant.
Big reds original deal was $220K per year,Morris is on $230 I think,Morris should be pawned around,surely someone will take him.