What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Health Insurance

TheParraboy

Staff member
I dont have it, As I am getting older am thinking about it more and more. Know there can be some nice perks, But cant justify paying $600-800 for it a this stage. Im pretty fit, get a yearly blood test at the docs, check my own blood pressure twice weekly (own a Oram Machine)

Just curious to know who has it? the benefits, the cons, what to look out for? Which funds are bad or good etc... Anyone been dudded?

I did have food poisioning twice over the last few years in different states (its a real bitch, dont wish it upon anyone) was admitted to puplic hospitals on both occassions and treated well (needle up the bum did the trick) didnt pay a cent.

Depends on what you want cover on...do you want both hospital and extras cover. Extras can be good as it covers physio, dental, optical etc.

You also have to think about how much excess you wish to pay if you have to go to hospital.

The higher excess that you choose to pay the less your premium will be that you pay annually.

I would get it based on the state of the public health system.

JoeD

First Grade
One option is self insuring, ie putting that 6-800 a year into an account and saving it for when you need it. The only thing health insurance is good for is basically jumping the waiting lists queues.

roopy

Referee
Families - especially young families - need it for sure.
Single healthy blokes who don't take risks are covered for emergencies - and the other stuff comes down to a financial decision - pay for dental and optical out of your own pocket, and if you need elective surgery you will have to either wait or pay full price - which could be a disaster if you need a knee reconstruction or something - might mean not being able to work for 6 months while you wait on the public list.

GB!

Juniors
i've had health insurance since about 1999, was told by my footy team at the time i HAD to have it.

it is now 2010, i'm still with MBF and i haven't use it once. to me it is money down the drain. but knowing my luck i'd cancel my insurance, then get busted!

lose lose:(

but knowing my luck i'd cancel my insurance, then get busted!

lose lose:(

Funny .... thats the same logic that keeps me compelled to follow Saints every year. Sounds like you have my luck. If it rained down movie stars I'd get Lassie.

GuardDog

Juniors
i just dont wana pay the extra medicare levy,.joined medibank private in 2000 before i turned 30