What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hegs announces retirement

As far as I'm concerned, you are as "in the wrong" as anyone else involved here. As I mentioned above, talk footy, keep the personal stuff out of it and we can all be "friends". You and Dave obviously have some history, but tbh I don't really care, nor do I want to hear about it in a Football forum, neither do the multiple other Souths fans who post here. There are other places for the two of you to go and sort things out. Start a thread in fightclub and you can prattle on to your hearts content if thats what floats your boat.

There is nothing wrong with opposing viewpoints, although as a Knights supporter, you will more often than not, be in the minority in a South Sydney forum.

Flaming, Trolling, Fishing and anything personal are a different matter altogether and will be dealt with / shifted. TBH I'm probably well within my rights to start handing out warnings for some of the stuff that has been posted here in the last few days, but I have refrained and just shifted posts instead.

Now, back to the thread.

Fein

First Grade
You don't know my lack of popularity there obviously.........

Hope this is the case DKOR, this is supposed to be a friendly place not a place were other posters constantly are making threats of violence and outrageous outbursts(Dave Q).

So if you are unpopular with your own crowd, why bother us?

This is not a lost dogs home you know!!!

OVP

Coach
Sorry to interrupt fellas, but i just wanted to say a few words in honour of Shannon Hegarty.

Long shall i miss those times Hegs aka The Cuban Cueball aka Latino Heat aka Constant Winner of the Maroubra Seals Weekly Dance Off with Ginger Rogers. Those little dancesteps got you a rep player 3 times plus a grand final win. Good times back then hey Hegs :)

Ahhh i long for the return of those great days, but rest assured you'll never be forgotten Hegs. Without you, when the Broncos last gasp effort against us in the GF Qualifier when they put up a bomb and all as one charged to hammer the juggling catcher. That catcher was YOU Hegs, YOU got us into the GF, even after a triple heart attack causing juggling act right at the end. Ahhh good times :)

God Bless ya Hegs, never forget the great days.

Sugar

Bench
Sorry to interrupt fellas, but i just wanted to say a few words in honour of Shannon Hegarty.

Long shall i miss those times Hegs aka The Cuban Cueball aka Latino Heat aka Constant Winner of the Maroubra Seals Weekly Dance Off with Ginger Rogers. Those little dancesteps got you a rep player 3 times plus a grand final win. Good times back then hey Hegs :)

Ahhh i long for the return of those great days, but rest assured you'll never be forgotten Hegs. Without you, when the Broncos last gasp effort against us in the GF Qualifier when they put up a bomb and all as one charged to hammer the juggling catcher. That catcher was YOU Hegs, YOU got us into the GF, even after a triple heart attack causing juggling act right at the end. Ahhh good times :)

It's a shame he left his form with the Roosters and went down hill the day he left Bondi.

I personally take the blame for Hegarty joining the Rabbits, I was personally involved with his recruitment (I apologise to all Souths fans)

Dave Q

Coach
Out of respect for DKOR, Im not going to add anything further as to my thoughts on some of our recent visitors.

(cough)

The big news on-topic is Sugars admission that he had a hand in Heg's recruitment and I can verily confirm that this was the case.

Ite been a secret for some time. Newk and I have kept our mouths shut.

And in his long and illustrious career at the helm of our valliant backline, hegs had no greater critic than Sugar.

Ive even seen Sugar yelling out instructions to Hegs over the fence.

"Theyre short left side! Theyre short left, pass the fugging ball quick"

Sugar wont admit, but I am thinking that he likes and respects Shannon a great deal more than he lets on here.

AM and I dont hide our fondness for him.

Shannon was a very unlucky player who struggled with a lot of off-feild drama. Nobody was more down on Hegs than himself.

When he came to Souths, we were weak and miserable and he was an international hero.

As his life-force as a player was sucked out of him, we were pumping up into becoming a fantastic club.

He has earned a place in our hearts and he truly deserves to be treasured as one of our own.

Hegs wore the red and green. I cannot pay him a higher compliment.

Last edited:

African Monkey

First Grade

I'll never forget the 2003 GF where despite the fact that he was on a losing side, he was tearing the Panthers to shreds, looking like he was going to score everytime he touched the ball. He was arguably the best in the world at the time.

Thanks for the memories Hegs, you were a superstar of the game.

Dave Q

Coach
I am sure that the Hegs journey isnt over A.M

Maybe he can run for political office somewhere.

One door closes, another opens.

Hegs, weve only just begun to learn about who you are and what you stand for.

God bless Shannon, hes all-australian, dinki-di and he likes the Kiwis as all good Aussies do.

Hegs...the legend is just beginning.

No other Souths player has been missed as much as Hegs. He must have touched a large number of hearts in his red and green career.

Never say never A.M. Keep your chin up. At times, yes, he was unequaled.

He wore the red and green.

Last edited:

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
I am sure that the Hegs journey isnt over A.M

Maybe he can run for political office somewhere.

One door closes, another opens.

Hegs, weve only just begun to learn about who you are and what you stand for.

God bless Shannon, hes all-australian, dinki-di and he likes the Kiwis as all good Aussies do.

Hegs...the legend is just beginning.

No other Souths player has been missed as much as Hegs. He must have touched a large number of hearts in his red and green career.

Never say never A.M. Keep your chin up. At times, yes, he was unequaled.

He wore the red and green.

so he was missed more then cusack? the 7 years we missed wing? fenech when he left? ron coote?

Dave Q

Coach
Given all the publicity, Hegs is the clear winner in the missing stakes.

Anyone who saw him screw up, it was accidental, forgive him and subscribe and support him in his new life.

As I said to Roy, ' Can you just move over mate, I want to get a photo of shannon" and Roy moved over.

Shannon kept signing autographs...what a trooper.

Mario Fenech didnt leave, he was offered crud. It was one of our darkest moments. I felt a deep sense of shame.

The guys who were running the club then, disgraceful.

He was the greatest Souths footballer of them all.

Last edited:
LOL Dave Q, hows about we both say that things got a tad out of control and let bygones be bygones! I think that we both may have been as bad as eachother.

monkey1

Juniors
Now that the loser Heggarty is gone maybe he can put his lack of skills to the test in the real world, runnning sideways on the highway sounds good