What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heigno to play for the Poms

macnaz

Staff member
He is easily good enough to make their side and id still enjoy watching him BUT I cant say im a fan of swapping countries just to get a game. You are either one or the other, an seeing as he was born here and never ever spent time there he is an Aussie

Wests is Best

Juniors
Nothing wrong with this. He has a genuine case for playing for either country.
My only stipulation is that should he wear the English jersey, he no longer is eligible to play for another country down the track - in this case Australia.
I think this happened with Tonie Carrol, and I dont think this should have been allowed.

jmmyo81

Juniors
Good on him i say, he has been continually overlooked by the blues for years so why not, the window opportunity to play rep footy is pretty small for a player like him so i say go for it ! in my opinion he should have been picked for origin in 2009 and maybe 2010 and never really got a look in so screw them, hope he plays and plays well against australia... good luck big fella

Has he even been to his 'home' country? Pfft.
Even know the words to the national anthem?

Go get 'em, Chris, with all your heart!

Danish

Referee
He threatens this every year when he doesn't get picked for NSW.... I'll believe when I see it.

Will be funny if he does though considering he is hardly guaranteed selection for them anyway :lol:

N.C.

Juniors
Has he even been to his 'home' country? Pfft.
Even know the words to the national anthem?

Go get 'em, Chris, with all your heart!
Answer: who cares? His father is English... Even if he's never been there, no doubt it's part of who he is... whether the rest of us "Aussies" like it or not.

Das Hassler

Bench
I'm fine with it...when it comes right down to it i can't comfortably support any side that has either Watmough or Boyd in it, so having a Tiger in a pom jersey?..piece of cake.
He's living his life...it's his choice to make

azsportza

Live Update Team
There is no doubting that he more then deserves a rep jersey. He has been held out of the NSW Blues for a while now. He has lacked any opportunity to get the honours. It will be good for him to get a jersey in the English side if he gets the call up.

Blackdiamond

Juniors
I'm not a fan of changing your country or state of origin, just so you can have the chance to play Rep footy.

I believe rep level should be about pride & honour in representing the jersey & the people that support it. This decision, then questions how much passion & pride is in involved.

I still find it weird when I see Brad Thorn playing for the All Blacks.

To me it just sounds like a spoilt brat who didn't get what he wanted. I am a supporter of both the Tigers & Chris, but sadly I don't believe he really warranted a Blues jersey or a Kangaroos jersey.

N.C.

Juniors
I'm not a fan of changing your country or state of origin, just so you can have the chance to play Rep footy.

I believe rep level should be about pride & honour in representing the jersey & the people that support it. This decision, then questions how much passion & pride is in involved.

I still find it weird when I see Brad Thorn playing for the All Blacks.

To me it just sounds like a spoilt brat who didn't get what he wanted. I am a supporter of both the Tigers & Chris, but sadly I don't believe he really warranted a Blues jersey or a Kangaroos jersey.
How admirable. Probably works well in the amateur leagues, but when you play professional sport it's really just another franchise to consider, and another way to enhance you earning capacity... Why wouldn't he take it if the opportunity is there?

macnaz

Staff member
Players only want to play for their country to make money... What a load of Bullshit!!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing wrong with this. He has a genuine case for playing for either country.
My only stipulation is that should he wear the English jersey, he no longer is eligible to play for another country down the track - in this case Australia.
I think this happened with Tonie Carrol, and I dont think this should have been allowed.
He won't be allowed to play for Australia.

Tonie Carroll represented NZ due to the regulations/loop holes in the World Cup eligibility rules (which also allows players like Tuqiri and Civoniceva to play for Fiji, Farah to play for Lebanon, Minichiello to play for Italy, etc etc etc)

Blackdiamond

Juniors
I think perhaps the media play a bit part in hyping up a players ability & helping them believe they are due for rep honours. Unfortuantely, not many of them are.

This is quite evident around Origin selections, where 50+ names get thrown in the ring by media commentators. Some take the media banter seriously & when miss out, they take the it quite hard & feel robbed. Not sure, but this could be one of those cases?

NC - I don't think money is the primary factory in wanting to play rep footy - at any level. Human nature says it will always be the recogintion & honour. The money piggy backs on from this.

Many elite athletes who compete at Olympic or Commenwealth level do this for $0 reward.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I reckon Hino will secure himself a bench spot, without any real drama. Poms have some great starting forwards, but depth is their big issue imo.

N.C.

Juniors
I think you lot have missed my point. International rugby league is no longer simply about honour and recognition. It is about achieving that honour and recognition wherever you can... because that will keep you in the business for longer.

This is merely an extension of the NRL's business model.

Magpie Nick

Juniors
Will he even make the England side? They have a very good pack.

Unfortunately they've got a lot of forwards out at the end of the year, many of them backrowers as well.

I'd say Heighington will get a run but I doubt he'll be considered if they've got a full compliment to choose from.