What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Please - Wigan's 2006 NRL signings

Wiganfanatic

Juniors
I was wondering if anyone could help me by giving me some opinions on the players we've signed for 2006

Pat Richards
Bryan Fletcher
Scott Logan
Iafeta Palea'aesina

Thanks people

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Pat Richards is a pretty tall winger, got some pace, good under the high ball.

Bryan Fletcher, a work horse, can really turn a game, didnt have his best year this year but he might do well in Wigan.

Iafeta Palea'aesina, good impact player to have off the bench. He goes really hard, entertains the crowd. I think most Kiwi fans will miss him in Auckland.

Scott Logan, he did play for Hull before so I think most Hull fans would remember him. Good strong forward, pretty solid.

morri (cWo)

First Grade
pr - is a very strong winger. i'd put him in a select group
bf - usually a solid player had a bad season. is quality at top form
ip - same as what parra fan said
sl - same as what parra fan said

i think wigan have signed very well

sooperdooper

First Grade
pat richards: i put him in an elite group of wingers who have so many attributes to a team, injury prone though

Brian Fletcher: past his best and over the hill, has seen better days. if can revers form a great player.

Iafeta Palea'aesina: great impact player, runs real hard. very good to watch and hard to stop

Scott Logan: big unit, quality prop. souths will miss him

Big Bunny

Juniors
Logan was very solid for Souths, I was sorry to see him go but I'm sure I'll enjoy watching him in the ESL. Fletcher on the other hand, whilst he's a solid player, he has a heart the size of a pea and a brain even smaller. As long as he never has to speak and isn't given a position of power you'll do ok with him, but with his mouth open he's a negative influence. He's just not captaincy material. It's no coincidence that the majority of our wins occured whenever he was out of the lineup.

D

Deleted member 10972

Pat Richards - tall, strapping winger with good pace. A great finisher, good under the high ball, & can carry a few on his back over the tryline.

Bryan Fletcher - 99-03 he was one of the most destructive backrowers around, offloads in traffic & busts thrugh defenders. Over the hill though.

Iafeta Paleaaesina - Massively explosive prop forward who hits the line at high pace & gets the crowd to their feet. Fitness & dedication is an issue though.

Scott Logan - underrated ex-Roosters & Souths prop, big unit with tremendous go-forward & a temper. On his day can be inspirational (Souths vs Manly)

Jono078

Referee
I was looking at Wigans squad yesterday, It is a very strong one imo.

Pat Richards: Awsome winger, one of my favourites, always gets the job done and wont let you down.

Brian Fletcher: I dont like him, one game I remember from 2005 (Rabbitohs V Raiders) Rabbitohs were still a chance to win, they go for a short kick off and he grabbed it on purpose and didnt let it go the whole 10, let his team down.

Iafeta Palea'aesina: Love the bloke. PARRA_FAN, not only will kiwi fans miss him, I know alot of aussies will, a great player to watch imo.

Scott Logan: Pretty solid player.

colonel_123

Juniors
It hasn't been mentioned but Pat Richards can kick the ball further then just about any player in the NRL. It wasn't uncommon for him to drop kick a line drop out 60 to 65 or even 70 metres this year.

He can also kick goals if needed.

simon says

First Grade
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Patty also has an awesome fend....

Yeah,just ask Rod Jensen,Im sure he will agree.

My mail is that Big Pattcake will play in the centres over there.I reckon he has all the attributes of a good centre.Not to forget that he can kick goals and has the biggest dropouts in the game.

Cheers.

Nonny1980

Juniors
simon says said:

My mail is that Big Pattcake will play in the centres over there.I reckon he has all the attributes of a good centre.Not to forget that he can kick goals and has the biggest dropouts in the game.

Cheers.
He'd make a great centre. Anyone who throws Gasnier over the sideline like a rag doll is right up there.

Scorpio30

Bench
Nonny1980 said:
Anyone who throws Gasnier over the sideline like a rag doll is right up there.

Awwww....I missed it. Would love to have seen that Muppet thrown into touch like that.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
What people haven't mentioned about Richards yet is that he is kicks goals at over 70% and has one of the biggest boots on him in the game - I have no doubts he will do your line drop outs and watch them travel 60meters on the fly

His bombs need work but when they go up you would have time to leave your seat, go to the can, go get a beer, come back to your seat and still yet to see land on the ground

bullmaster

Juniors
Everything said about Pat Richards is spot on!

Mighty pissed that he has left the Tigers.

Get a hold of this years GF and you will see the epitome of guts and determination.

This bloke played 65 minutes of the game on painkillers 'cause of a dodgy ankle and backed up Benji Marshall who is no slouch to score one of the best Grand Final tries I have ever seen. Just missed out on getting another too!

Mighty Tiger

Bench
simon says said:

Cheers.

The side was listed last week on their website and he is listed as center due to the good form of Calderwood

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/Squad.asp?teamid=1&team=First+Team

Special K

Coach
The poms will love the way Iafeta plays. I bet by the end of next season they will try and claim him as the best prop in the world...

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
geez wigan youve signed incredibly well. any nrl side would take those 4 players i have no doubt.

Pat Richards is one of the best wingers in the nrl, and would be 4th at worst behind grothe, covell and king. and theres no shame to come 4th behind those 3. id even go as far to say he as good as grothe and maybe covell

Bryan Fletcher - one of the best backrowers in the nrl, would still be up to rep footy in australia

Scott Logan - underated to the maximum. i wanted the sharkies to sign this guy. hes massive and has improved 328% this year. hes big strong and runs very hgard. great for metres.

Iafeta Palea'aesina - the strongest runner in the nrl for a prop. unfortunately i dont think u get a whole stack of game time out of him but hes excellent impact player. the kiwi commentators absolutely love him. they even nicknamed him "mr affective"

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
Pat Richards is one of the best wingers in the nrl, and would be 4th at worst behind grothe, covell and king. and theres no shame to come 4th behind those 3. id even go as far to say he as good as grothe and maybe covell

How long has King been playing on the Wing for Melbourne?

Do you ever get tired of acting like a spastic?

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Do you ever get tired of acting like a spastic?

he doesnt appear to...

as for those signings, Richards is awesome, the rest are pretty meh.

fletchers there for his retirement, logan is solid at best and paleaseana would be good under unlimited interchage but after 3mins runs out of puff.

also like to add that i'm glad to see wigan developing the english game further by importing more players from the nrl