What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Henderson leaving confirmed

One Warrior

Bench
Henderson bids adieu to Warriors

Published: 8:50PM Monday August 23, 2010

Source: ONE Sport

Hooker Ian Henderson and the Warriors have today reached a mutual agreement to release him from the last year of his NRL contract to take up an offer to return to the Super League for the next three years.

Henderson (27), who has played 73 NRL matches, was off contract at the end of 2011 the NRL season.

"Ian was keen to secure his long-term future but we weren't able to extend his contract beyond 2011 at this stage," said Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah.

"A number of opportunities have since arisen and, while Ian was reluctant to leave the Vodafone Warriors, he has requested a release to return to the Super League to take up a three-year contract with French club Les Catalans.

"On the basis of the long-term security the contract provides, we have agreed to support Ian's request."

Henderson has made 65 appearances for the Warriors since joining the club from the Bradford Bulls for the 2008 NRL season.

Henderson said his future was critical in making his decision.

"It's disappointing to be leaving, because I love this place, but I wanted a long-term contract and Les Catalans are able to offer me that security," he said.

"I'll always have great memories of playing for the Vodafone Warriors and living in Auckland. It's been a great experience and it gave me the chance to really break into the NRL.

"It's not over yet, though. I want to do everything I can to give us the best possible finish to the year."

Warriors head coach Ivan Cleary said Henderson had provided real value to the squad.

"He's a durable and aggressive player who has given us a real edge in the middle of the park," he said.

"He had only a limited taste of NRL football before heading to Bradford but his three years with us have reinforced what we thought of him when we signed him.

"He still has a lot more to offer us before the season ends and I know he wants to give us as much as he possibly can."

During his Warriors career, Henderson also joined his brothers Kevin and Andy in the Scotland team at the 2008 Rugby League World Cup.
http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-league-news/henderson-bids-adieu-warriors-3728432

Martli

Coach
Sucks, but it opens up an opportunity for someone else I guess. Whether that's Locke at Fullback or Mara to the bench who knows.

ozreece77

Juniors
we always seem to get good value from our hookers:

Mann, Marsh, Mears, Death, Gatis, and now Hendo. Lets hope the trend continues.

Yeah Henderson was good value i bagged him out abit in the middle of his time at warriors but hes had a great second half to the year. Im excited with Mara from what i saw against manly im sure hell step up. I hope we give it a good shake this year but im really excited about next year 1st premiership is coming i can feel it!

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Cya Hendo. Thanks for the hard work.
Guess we are turning to the future in Mara for next season (which im excited about)

tezzah

Juniors
Locke is still undeserving of the full back role at the moment. Maybe another off-season will help along with the early pre-season games but definitely not interested in him taking the full back role off Hohaia who is doing a superb job!

Rovelli

Bench
Hendo was a real sparkplug for us in 2008 and this year has returned to NRL-level form...2009 was a poor year for him just like it was for the whole team it seemed.

We gave him an NRL lifeline after a less-than-auspicious first stint with the Roosters and Eels.

Latest posts