What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hendrix - was he popular for his singing or his guitar playing

salivor

First Grade
millersnose said:
its interesting to see how people react if they perceive their sacred cows are being criticised

hendrix would be an uknown if he didnt start singing

wha wha peddles overdriven amps and blues scales all predate hendrix

he became popular because people liked his singing
LOL, let's start a pink floyd bashathon and see what your opinions are on your own sacred cow.

As for his singing. I'll ask a second time, why did he have some of the greatest players of his time drooling over him? And please offer something a little more serious this time as they've sobered up and still hold him in high regard.

nospam49 said:
Im not going into how good or Bad Hendrix was, simply because I'll take the opinions of the greast of the music industry over some mugs on a forum anyway day.
I don't like cheerleading but well put, Jimi has influenced just about every guitarist we listen to today. He's not the greatest guitarist of all time, probably not in the top 10 for actual ability because we're talking about him 40 years on, I'd be a little bit concerned if guitar technology and playing techniques hadn't evolved but the fact that Millers and RJ want to focus on this shows me that the argument for Jimi is going well over their heads.

Ron Jeremy said:
He isn't more famous now, his famous amongst the same people who believe that Nirvana and The Ramones were talented.
You really are misguided now (except on the Ramones who you won't get any argument from me on, like cancer to my ears). Nirvana weren't musically talented and I haven't seen many arguements for Kurt's guitar playing which at times was very sloppy, but simplicity was the brilliance of Nirvana and Kurt who's biggest influence was the Beatles which shone through in his music. I'll take grunge every time over the perfectly tuned, manufactored rubbish they call rock these days, its quite ironic that Dave Grohl has come to symbolise everything now that's going wrong with the genre.

I must say though that with some of the artists you've mentioned around these forums, it's not surprising that you don't understand the grunge movement.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
eddie van halen=guitar gymnastics boring :sleeper: ron how can you say eddie van halen is the most influencial guitarist of all times what about chet atkens,chuck berry or eric clapton, pete townsend,jimi page or jeff beck all do more for me than eddie and i havent mentioned hendrix

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
beauty is in the eye of the beholder

we are so lucky to have all these people tell us who we should be liking and who we shouldn't and the reasons why

I'm a huge Jimmi fan and love his music, never really considered him a great singer

Ron Jeremy

Coach
hineyrulz said:
eddie van halen=guitar gymnastics boring :sleeper: ron how can you say eddie van halen is the most influencial guitarist of all times what about chet atkens,chuck berry or eric clapton, pete townsend,jimi page or jeff beck all do more for me than eddie and i havent mentioned hendrix

Easy, Van halen 1 guitar music book has sold more copies then Jimi's Experience guitar music book.

Both of these were the albums that changed the face of guitar.

End of argument.

Jimi was the most influential untill Eddie came along, simple as that.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
You really are misguided now (except on the Ramones who you won't get any argument from me on, like cancer to my ears). Nirvana weren't musically talented and I haven't seen many arguements for Kurt's guitar playing which at times was very sloppy, but simplicity was the brilliance of Nirvana and Kurt who's biggest influence was the Beatles which shone through in his music. I'll take grunge every time over the perfectly tuned, manufactored rubbish they call rock these days, its quite ironic that Dave Grohl has come to symbolise everything now that's going wrong with the genre.

I must say though that with some of the artists you've mentioned around these forums, it's not surprising that you don't understand the grunge movement.

Misguided? because it's evident that Jimi's wasn't as brillant as what some maker him out to be, or the fact that on guitar talent alone Kurt was sh*te? and i love Nirvana actually!

Here we go again, i don't give a sh*t about the image or simplicity etc, all i care about is high skill levels, and imo this should be the most important thing.

People read to much into styles etc, just concentrate on the music side and it's evident.

carcharias

Immortal
HAHA Look at Ron go...
As usual he has taken a topic purely about Hendrix and turned into a wankathon about his man love for all things hair spray and 1986.

to answer the actual question ....
Hendrix was famous for his whole package I feel.
the Guitar upside down
the blackman thing
the flakey hippy drug laced lyrics
the stage antics..playing behind his head or with his teeth and burning his guitar.

But most of all

the songs.

simple.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Next people will be saying people like Sting, Dave Coverdale have crap voices because that didn't have the image of Billy idol or Johny Rotten.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
carcharias said:
HAHA Look at Ron go...
As usual he has taken a topic purely about Hendrix and turned into a wankathon about his man love for all things hair spray and 1986.

to answer the actual question ....
Hendrix was famous for his whole package I feel.
the Guitar upside down
the blackman thing
the flakey hippy drug laced lyrics
the stage antics..playing behind his head or with his teeth and burning his guitar.

But most of all

the songs.

simple.

You forgot looks aswell lol

What about everyone elses facination of a dugged up hippie who couldn't play in time and sounded terrible?

It isn't that hard to play behind you head you know, but it sure looks good.

Maybe Jimi would've used hair spray if his hair was longer, im sure Page, Plant etc used hair spray, but hair spray is not what the argument is about right?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
Easy, Van halen 1 guitar music book has sold more copies then Jimi's Experience guitar music book.

Both of these were the albums that changed the face of guitar.

End of argument.

Jimi was the most influential untill Eddie came along, simple as that.
wow eddies music book sold more more than jimi's who give's a rats.hendrix died 36 yrs ago at age 27 we'll see if van halens remembered 36 yrs after he's died like hendrix.bagging someone like hendrix and wrapping a tosser from an 80's hair band get real :crazy: by the way at least jimi never did scissor kicks with a wanker like david lee roth while wearing big red overalls

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
Next people will be saying people like Sting, Dave Coverdale have crap voices because that didn't have the image of Billy idol or Johny Rotten.
sting,david coverdale you really have it bad for the 80's :lol: next you'll be telling me warrant and cinderella were two of the greatest bands of all time:crazy:

Ron Jeremy

Coach
hineyrulz said:
wow eddies music book sold more more than jimi's who give's a rats.hendrix died 36 yrs ago at age 27 we'll see if van halens remembered 36 yrs after he's died like hendrix.bagging someone like hendrix and wrapping a tosser from an 80's hair band get real :crazy: by the way at least jimi never wore big red overalls :D

:crazy:

Do i really need to reply to this?

I said VH 1, the guitar music book, has sold more copies then Jimi's Experience guitar music book. Both of these albums are the most significant and influential guitar books of all time. Im well aware he died 36 years ago, thats why i only compared the 1 album of each.

I bet you'd love to sold the amount of albums etc has Van Halen did.

Jimi wore alot worse, rainbow coloured shirts, pink tights lol, they both had bad choices in clothing, but atleast Eddie was better looking:D

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
:crazy:

Do i really need to reply to this?

I said VH 1, the guitar music book, has sold more copies then Jimi's Experience guitar music book. Both of these albums are the most significant and influential guitar books of all time. Im well aware he died 36 years ago, thats why i only compared the 1 album of each.

I bet you'd love to sold the amount of albums etc has Van Halen did.

Jimi wore alot worse, rainbow coloured shirts, pink tights lol, they both had bad choices in clothing, but atleast Eddie was better looking:D
fancy him do ya ;-) im not denying eddie is awesomely talented guitarist but it's not just about technique its about the music and in my opinon hendrix has him cold.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
hineyrulz said:
sting,david coverdale you really have it bad for the 80's :lol: next you'll be telling me warrant and cinderella were two of the greatest bands of all time:crazy:

David Coverdale actually began his career in the mid 70's with a band, you might of heard of called Deep Purple, after he finished with Purple he formed Whitesnake in the late 70's. Sting also began his career in the mid 70's with a band called the Police, get your facts right.

Why would i say Warrant and Cinderella were two of the greatest bands ever? even i know how stupid it would be for me to say that :roll:

Actually my all time favourite band is the Beatles believe it or not, and my favourite artists are Alice Cooper and John Lennon.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
hineyrulz said:
fancy him do ya ;-) im not denying eddie is awesomely talented guitarist but it's not just about technique its about the music and in my opinon hendrix has him cold.

:lol: Hell No!!!!!!

I just admire him, and believe some people, well certain critics never gave him the recongnition he deserved after acumlating so much in awards, yet they list Kurt Cobain as the better guitarist:?

See thats where im different, im a guitarist, so i basically just focus on that and not much else.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
David Coverdale actually began his career in the mid 70's with a band, you might of heard of called Deep Purple, after he finished with Purple he formed Whitesnake in the late 70's. Sting also began his career in the mid 70's with a band called the Police, get your facts right.

Why would i say Warrant and Cinderella were two of the greatest bands ever? even i know how stupid it would be for me to say that :roll:

Actually my all time favourite band is the Beatles believe it or not, and my favourite artists are Alice Cooper and John Lennon.
we all know coverdale started with deep purple but it was down hill from there but whitesnake and police will be remembered as 80's band. i have a few alice cooper albums and lennon nothing needs to be said LEGEND.but antthing would be better than the crap thats in the charts these days :crazy:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
:lol: Hell No!!!!!!

I just admire him, and believe some people, well certain critics never gave him the recongnition he deserved after acumlating so much in awards, yet they list Kurt Cobain as the better guitarist:?

See thats where im different, im a guitarist, so i basically just focus on that and not much else.
fair enough i'm a cobain fan but never thought he was such a great guitarist either. i just loved the music

Latest posts