What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hendrix - was he popular for his singing or his guitar playing

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Christmas Ape said:
Jesus....

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Sad because it's true.

I might post some guitar tabs as evidence for my argument, and show non guitarits exactly what i mean:D

Ron Jeremy

Coach
As a guitarist of 12 years, i've learnt and played all styles, and without a doubt Hendrix was almost as simple as playing Nirvana, without the wah pedal, but a flanger instead.

I liked his voice though.

Christmas Ape

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
Crap.

He played out of time, simple hammer-ons which John Howard could do, guitar solos which sounded terrible with whammy drops? well how hard is it to whammy drop?

Hendrix never played out of time. Sure, he didn't have the aid of any cheesy f**ken synth handclaps to keep him at EXACTLY 120bpm, but he was never out of sync with his band (who were also incredible).

Ron Jeremy said:
He was good because he played the guitar like a women, and at the time was unique, that was what made him famous.

You just said he wasn't any good, now you're saying he WAS good. But only because he 'played like a woman'. Huh?

Ron Jeremy said:
Chuck berry shat all over him, but because he didn't take LSD he didn't get the recongition he deserved.

Hendrix often cited Chuck Berry as an influence, but please, don't tell me Chuck Berry was a better player (or never took LSD for that matter)

Ron Jeremy said:
Most guitarists start with Hendrix, then by the time they turn 11 and 12 move onto complex material like Van Halen, Satriani & Vai, then once they have the speed they'll move onto Malmstein to enhance their sweeping abilities.

:lol:

Ron Jeremy said:
I learnt 7 hendrix songs once in 1 day, he was complex.

Which 7 songs? Can you send me some mp3s of you performing these songs? I'd love to hear them.

Ron Jeremy said:
Hendrix would be playing at a westfield shopping centre if he was still alive, the calibre of good guitarists are amazing.

Righto.

Ron Jeremy said:
I await responses.

You're not taking the piss are you?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Hendrix never played out of time. Sure, he didn't have the aid of any cheesy f**ken synth handclaps to keep him at EXACTLY 120bpm, but he was never out of sync with his band (who were also incredible).

:lol: His live songs are dreadful and tacky, painful is the word for it.

Voodoo Chile sounds nothing more then Bill & Ted and Wild Stallions playing in there garage.

Yeah Steve Vai was sh*te because he had a keyboard behind him:?

you just said he wasn't any good, now you're saying he WAS good. But only because he 'played like a woman'. Huh?

Ummm, i said he was unique, unique because he played a guitar like a women, thats what made him good in manys eyes, together with his facination of the wah pedal.

Hendrix often cited Chuck Berry as an influence, but please, don't tell me Chuck Berry was a better player (or never took LSD for that matter)

Chuck basically brought a style to the guitar much the same way as Eddie did, both styles influenced many, so imo Jimi played his style without the terrible lead and wah.

Which 7 songs? Can you send me some mp3s of you performing these songs? I'd love to hear them.

:lol: like i'd waste my time playing that sh*t these days:lol: , f**k me, i'd rather just NOT PLAY AT ALL!

I haven't played Hendrix since i was 12, then i moved onto the more complex Nirvana, then the masters of guitar:D

OVP

Coach
Ron Jeremy said:
As a guitarist of 12 years, i've learnt and played all styles, and without a doubt Hendrix was almost as simple as playing Nirvana, without the wah pedal, but a flanger instead.

I liked his voice though.

You are a COMPLETE f**kWIT. I bet you know jack sh*t about Blues dont you ? So why comment on those FAR GREATER than you'd ever dream to be ?

OVP

Coach
Ron Jeremy said:
Crap.

He played out of time, simple hammer-ons which John Howard could do, guitar solos which sounded terrible with whammy drops? well how hard is it to whammy drop?

He was good because he played the guitar like a women, and at the time was unique, that was what made him famous.

Chuck berry shat all over him, but because he didn't take LSD he didn't get the recongition he deserved.

Most guitarists start with Hendrix, then by the time they turn 11 and 12 move onto complex material like Van Halen, Satriani & Vai, then once they have the speed they'll move onto Malmstein to enhance their sweeping abilities.

Hendrix would be playing at a westfield shopping centre if he was still alive, the calibre of good guitarists are amazing.

I await responses.

You dont know where your arse starts or where it ends. Ive never known a 12 year guitarist ... most of those who i know have been playing over 20 years ... but does 12 years mean you've reached the juvenile stage ? It MUST ... only children would be THAT arrogant.

millersnose

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
Crap.

I await responses.

someone gets it

he became famous more because people liked the way he looked and how his voice sounded

his guitar playing was ordinary overdriven blues scales

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Absolutely, an over-rated joke.

I bet if he looked like and acted like Dr Phil he'd be a nothing.

You are a COMPLETE f**kWIT. I bet you know jack sh*t about Blues dont you ? So why comment on those FAR GREATER than you'd ever dream to be ?

Speaking of turkey slaps........

I play like Steve Vai, Van Halen......I don't have to play blues, for me loud guitar is what it's all about.

Believe me i'd rather die then play like Hendrix, thank f**k we didn't have to listen to his live albums again * cringe*

Simo

First Grade
Many artists are more popular than there talent levels due to image and what is percived to be cool at the time.

I dont know much about when he lived as I wasnt alive (was he more popular after he died?) but it seems the old kill yourself in one way or another and you shoot to immortality. (unless someone tells me he was already there before he died)

Someone keeps mentioning Nirvana....a perfect example of his memory being greater than his abilities.

Many famous players are also sloppy.....take Jimmy Page for example, another player thought of as a guitar god whom has a lot of sloppy playing.

As for the original question, I discovered him primarily as a guitar player and read about him as the guitar god. I however liked some of his songs but never felt he was the greatest player id ever heard, but as I said did like some of his work (little wing is a fav, all along the watchtower is another).

I dont know if when he was alive he was better known as a player or singer but in my lifetime definately as a guitar player.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Little wing is one of Jimi's better and more complex tunes, i always liked that song, lyrics and guitar.

birdsteeth

Juniors
Mr Jeremy,

You seem to be misguided....I'm sure if you asked your afore-mentioned heroes (Vai, Satriani, Van Halen etc) who their primary influence was, I'm sure Hendrix would come up. You miss the point; music isn't about sweeping arpeggios, volume or triple-necked guitars. It's not about flashy production and on-the-spot BPMs. It's about expression and soul, something Jimi Hendrix had in spades. Sure he may not have been the cleanest or fastest guitarist ever, but who ever decided that that was what music or guitar playing is all about?
Why are people arguing anyway? To me there is no arguement. Hendrix was an innovative guitarist who changed the way electric guitar was played forever. God knows, we need a few more Hendrixes around today to thin out the wheedlie-wheedlie guitar wanker's ranks a little.
FYI: wanna hear some great guitar playing? Check out Dean Parks' magnificent playing on Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach's "Painted From Memory", especially the solo on "This House is Empty Now". That's what I'm talking about.

Thanks for your time.

birdsteeth

Juniors
By the way, Hendrix was a great singer.... Who could've delivered "Cross Town Traffic" better vocally? No one, that's who.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
birdsteeth said:
Mr Jeremy,

You seem to be misguided....I'm sure if you asked your afore-mentioned heroes (Vai, Satriani, Van Halen etc) who their primary influence was, I'm sure Hendrix would come up. You miss the point; music isn't about sweeping arpeggios, volume or triple-necked guitars. It's not about flashy production and on-the-spot BPMs. It's about expression and soul, something Jimi Hendrix had in spades. Sure he may not have been the cleanest or fastest guitarist ever, but who ever decided that that was what music or guitar playing is all about?
Why are people arguing anyway? To me there is no arguement. Hendrix was an innovative guitarist who changed the way electric guitar was played forever. God knows, we need a few more Hendrixes around today to thin out the wheedlie-wheedlie guitar wanker's ranks a little.
FYI: wanna hear some great guitar playing? Check out Dean Parks' magnificent playing on Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach's "Painted From Memory", especially the solo on "This House is Empty Now". That's what I'm talking about.

Thanks for your time.
:clap: well said mate i cant believe all the hendrix bashing in here :crazy: i wish there was someone around know with his charisma and talent might be able to knock that rap crap out of the charts :(

millersnose

Post Whore
its interesting to see how people react if they perceive their sacred cows are being criticised

hendrix would be an uknown if he didnt start singing

wha wha peddles overdriven amps and blues scales all predate hendrix

he became popular because people liked his singing

Christmas Ape

Juniors
I reckon being a Pink Floyd fan should exclude you from even discussing Hendrix, let alone questioning his credentials.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Mr Jeremy,

You seem to be misguided....I'm sure if you asked your afore-mentioned heroes (Vai, Satriani, Van Halen etc) who their primary influence was, I'm sure Hendrix would come up.

Mr Birdsteeth;-) , i'm not misguided, im actually very well informed and you'll find that Clapton was actually Eddie's biggest influence, and as for Vai & Satch......well just listen to them play and you'll be able to hear who they were influenced by.

You miss the point; music isn't about sweeping arpeggios, volume or triple-necked guitars. It's not about flashy production and on-the-spot BPMs. It's about expression and soul, something Jimi Hendrix had in spades.

I know that, however you don't think Ed etc didn't have soul?, have you seen them live? believe me i think after 25 years at the top of the guitar world Eddie and co and have the right to consolidate there right as the best guitarist the world has seen.

The thing i don't like is they list Hendrix as the best of all time, how can this be the case? doesn't skill count for anything, if so, Hendrix was terrible when you see the calibre of guitarists over the past 25 years, if Hendrix was alive today, he wouldn't have the repitore to compete with the elite.

Sure he may not have been the cleanest or fastest guitarist ever, but who ever decided that that was what music or guitar playing is all about?

My point exactly, thats why he has no right to be claimed as the best. It's not about who's the fastest, but you know a good guitarist when you hear one, and quite frankly, Hendrix wasn't that good.

If Hendrix was a skinny asian kid who dressed like Kurt Cobain and performed like the Wiggles, do you think he'd be regarded as the best of all time?

Just play Eruption by VH, thats all the proof you need to see who the better guitarist. Eddie is just simply a more skillfull guitarist.

Thank god Hendrix could sing, well sorta.

I've never said that Hendrix wasn't innovative, he was, that was his best trait as far as im concerned. He changed the face of the guitar through flamboyance not guitar skill, from 62 to 77, then Eddie changed the face of music to this day. Eddie is the most influential guitarist of all time through record sales, guitar music books etc, musicians etc, every metal guitarist from 77 to today has been influenced from Eddie. The list i could come up with is endless.

I agree with the last part of your post.

Thanks for your time

You wanna hear something impressive, listen to VH 1 or John Skyes from Whitesnake.

Im not going into how good or Bad Hendrix was, simply because I'll take the opinions of the greast of the music industry over some mugs on a forum anyway day.

What I will say is this....

I think some people are forgetting that Hendrix isnt playing in 2006. When he hit the scene NO ONE had heard ANYTHING like his was doing. He was leaving the greats of the music industry in awe.

Sit down and play off you sheets of music all day and say you can do what he did. But play infront of tens of thousands, be known the world over, be known for changing music for ever, for being an icon, be more famous 30 years after your death than you were when you were alive.......and then maybe, just maybe.....people will stop laughing when you say you can do what he did.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Christmas Ape said:
I reckon being a Pink Floyd fan should exclude you from even discussing Hendrix, let alone questioning his credentials.

Hey?

Dave Gilmour was a better sounding guitarist then Hendrix, atleast he played in time lol

Listen to Comfortably Numb live, brillant!

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Im not going into how good or Bad Hendrix was, simply because I'll take the opinions of the greast of the music industry over some mugs on a forum anyway day.

The same mugs that listed Kurt cobain as the 9th best guitarist of all time?

Or the ones that list Dee Dee Ramone as one of the greats aswell?

Listen to them play, don't read into styles etc to much, just focus on the music at hand.

What I will say is this....

I think some people are forgetting that Hendrix isnt playing in 2006. When he hit the scene NO ONE had heard ANYTHING like his was doing. He was leaving the greats of the music industry in awe.

Chuck berry had already brought in the style, Hendrix just polished it off with some pink clothes, a white left handed fender and a wah pedal.

Sit down and play off you sheets of music all day and say you can do what he did. But play infront of tens of thousands, be known the world over, be known for changing music for ever, for being an icon, be more famous 30 years after your death than you were when you were alive.......and then maybe, just maybe.....people will stop laughing when you say you can do what he did.

He isn't more famous now, his famous amongst the same people who believe that Nirvana and The Ramones were talented. He did change the face of music through flamboyance, not skill, since Eddie came along he has overtaken the mantle, Eddie actually brought more to the guitar then everyone, Vai, Satch, Diamond Darrell and just about every metal guitarist incorperates Eddie style.

Just listen to both, Forget about image etc, and concentrate on the music, that is what should matter. If not, then we could say that Johny rotten is a better singer then John Farnham because he was flamboyant and unique too.

Latest posts