What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Henry Paul joins Harlequins RL

yakstorm

First Grade
http://www.quins.co.uk/newspage.ink?nid=32217&newstype=n&matchid=&storytype=RL&Refid=

Well I must say I didn't see this one coming....

Paul, who left rugby league to pursue his ambitions in rugby union after winning the 2001 Super League Grand Final with Bradford Bulls, will ironically return to one of the world's oldest rugby clubs on Saturday when it stages its first ever 'double header'.

Henry's first game for Harlequins will also see him lined up against his younger brother Robbie, of Huddersfield Giants.

Henry agreed a two and a half year deal with Harlequins after today being released from his contract with Gloucester.

Harlequins coach Tony Rea is delighted to have Henry in the famous Quins colors:

'Henry is a player of immense talent and he has nothing to prove to anyone. He is here to play because that's what he does best.'

He was by far the most dominant player in Super League before joining the England rugby union squad. It's great for our sport to have him back and here in Twickenham.'

He really caught my eye in the Hong Kong Sevens. He is a natural talent with a great ability to handle high pressure situations.'

All the talk over there was about other players like Mathew Tait but the biggest play, and under pressure, came from Henry Paul.'

Henry himself commented: 'It's a big opportunity for me and I can't wait to get out there and play.'

Quins have shown that they are a really professional outfit and I think the club has a very bright future.'

I've met twice with Ian Lenagan (Harlequins RL Chairman) and he outlined some impressive plans for Harlequins and I want to be a big part of that.'
Super League continues to break new ground as a sport and to be back involved is brilliant. To be lined up against Robbie is just how the cards have fallen but what a way for me to start at Quins."

Harlequins RL Chairman added: 'We are building what will be a very successful club and we have already seen glimpses of that success. Henry has a lot to offer us.'

Saturday presents the perfect opportunity for Henry to begin life at Harlequins and I know he will be well received by all at the Stoop.'
Saturday's 'double header' starts at 3pm when NEC Harlequins play Plymouth Albion, followed by Henry Paul's debut for Harlequins RL against Huddersfield Giants in the engage Super League. The Super League game will be televised live on Sky Sports from 5.45pm.

yankeerugger

Juniors
interesting news.... seen him play RU 7s, and thought the guy was brilliant. Never did get to see him play for Gloucester, but I'd heard Gloucester supporters speak highly of him... just didn't seem to fit into the international game.

Anyways, wish him the best of luck... Any chance he'll do any 'duel code' action, and play for the RU Harlequins in the winter?

Jackal Dog

Juniors
By far the more talented of the 2 Paul brothers, glad to see him back in RL even if he is getting on a bit at the age of 32 hopefully he can teach Leulai a thing or two.

Too bad he didn't sign with the Panthers would of liked to have seen at least one of the Paul brothers play in the NRL...

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
...Why?

Harlequins have too many halfbacks already, why sign Henry Paul? Granted he WAS a classy player back in the day but I can't see him getting that form back. Would be great if he could though and can keep 'Quins in Super League in the process.

terracesider

Juniors
It's a joke. Gloucester effectively threw him out. He was dropped for missing training last October and was never going to play for them again. When a chance came to off-load the expensive poseur they were only too glad to get rid of his contract.

MrCharisma

Bench
I like alot of people didn't see this one coming, last time I knew, Robbie Paul was trying to get him into Penrith.

Classy signing for London... but once again show that the club can't produce players and rely on imports

pmarrow

Juniors
Poor signing to be honest guys.

Hes old and his fitness will be nowhere near as good as it should be for a League match. He had class before he went but at Gloucester he hasn't been in a play making role, AFAIK he was there kicker and that was it. He seemed to spend most of the time outwide working with the wingers.

He's put on a bit of weight too and no doubt would have lost some pace. The question has to be asked whether or not he still has the skill and can he turn his fitness around. I don't think he could, had he have been late 20's then I would have thought different. Poor signing for IMO and the fact he's ended up at Harlequins probably speaks for itself.

bartman

Immortal
Two and a half years... a bit of a risk to take there imo. Maybe they have plans to add him in the pack somewhere, trying anything to make sure they don't face the drop?

Corbin

Juniors
Excellent signing but disappointed not to see him at Penrith.

He can play Halfback, Five Eight, Fullback, Centre and Hooker so very versitile, he has a very good long passing game. (also a bloody good kicker)

I think he'll struggle, he's been playing the tarts game for too long.

He'' be blowing out of his a** after half an hour.

He has wasted his career moving to Borecester. He could've been a great in rugby league. He was one of the best players to pull on a Bradford for a long time.

He showed no loyalty to Bradford and went to fill his chequebook.

dibviking

Juniors
he played last night and played well.
When interviewed after the game he could hardly speak he was exhausted nearly dead, he said he was blowing even at the training session during the week!! Welcome back to the proper tough sport!

Quins won, think it was 18-12

bartman

Immortal
The Harlequins home crowd in the match report says 12,301. That's either a heap of Huddersfield fans travelling down, or they're doing something good that's getting more people in the gate? A bigger crowd than watched St Helens' home game this weekend - who'd have thought...

Latest posts