What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Henry Perenara

Inferno

Coach
Nobody can find any vision of a try being scored, but it should have been awarded according to the crybabies on here

Geoffe toovey apparently could...

?Let?s talk about the real turning point. Let?s talk about the no try, Steve Matai held up," he said.

?Unless I?m blind, I can see the ball on the ground so what was the decision?

?Can someone answer me that?

?Someone??

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...st-match-blow-up/story-fni3gnk1-1226698810375

Glenn

First Grade
Obviously Toovey is in the wrong career, he needs to become a referee he can see things other referees can't.

Sphagnum

Coach
According to the rules -

Referee unsighted - The Referee should not disallow a try because he was not in a position to see the grounding of the ball.

He didn't disallow it. He gave his opinion and referred it to the video ref. working as intended.

Iafeta

Referee
If he didn't see the try then he should go upstairs with a "no try" call and let the video ref correct him if they see the ball grounded. No way should he be calling try's if he doesn't see them. He made the right call.

This is the flaw with the video ref call. Not saying in this case it would have helped. But rather than have a "try" or "no try" call, there should be a "I don't have an opinion" as well, there'll be times when they just don't have a clue.

That said, Perenara is a poor referee. He's up there in Jarred MaxMong and Ashley Klown stakes for being that damn dreadful.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
This is the flaw with the video ref call. Not saying in this case it would have helped. But rather than have a "try" or "no try" call, there should be a "I don't have an opinion" as well, there'll be times when they just don't have a clue.

That said, Perenara is a poor referee. He's up there in Jarred MaxMong and Ashley Klown stakes for being that damn dreadful.

Henry Penisara is a more apt name.

So you want him to award a try on what he think happened as opposed to not awarding a try because he didn't see it happen?

No.

How I (and Danny Boy most likely) see how that should have been ruled is :

He should have given benefit to the attacking team on what he saw, by going to the video ref with a "try" nominated, and seeking a correction from the video ref IF there is clear evidence to the contrary.

As opposed to denying the try based on what he couldnt ascertain and by virtue of his "no try" call, prevent the video ref from reversing it based on inconclusive video evidence IF no such clearcut evidence exists.

Meth

Staff member
I cant think of many refs that are better then Perenara TBH.

Yep.

I can think of plenty worse- prefer him to Klein, Maxwell, Suttor to name a few. Seen him have a couple of commendable performances this year. The overall standard of referees is as bad as it ever has been (at least that I can remember)

Frederick

Staff member

In the past that was the 'Refs Call' option. Have they completely done away with that now the refs give their opinion before they refer it upstairs?

Quidgybo

Bench
Which takes us back to the bad old days of the video ref lottery for every line ball decision. Bewilderment, outrage, frustration and "no, no, no, no!"

The whole point of the new system and why it has defused most of the controversy surrounding the video ref is that it has removed them from the middle of all those flip-a-coin situations. Unless there's substantial evidence that the call is wrong, the decision made by the on field ref stands. If it's a coin toss then by definition there's not enough evidence to overturn.

In general fans seem a lot more forgiving of a borderline decision made live by the man in the middle that replays can't prove wrong, than the same borderline decision made by a video ref after endless replays where everyone has had a chance to second guess his decision before he's made it.

Leigh.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
In the past that was the 'Refs Call' option. Have they completely done away with that now the refs give their opinion before they refer it upstairs?
Yes, because the ref now makes their call before they refer it. If the video ref cant decide, they now merely uphold the ref's call.

I would love to see more ex players in the game. Perenara seems to have that understandingof what happened, and always reacts calmly. I see more and more refs get flustered when Captain Penalised goes on a massive whinge. I have only ever seen a players whinge change a refs mind once - Fittler in Origin appealing to Harrigan about no advantage and rightly getting the feed at a scrum.

Perenara is great, because it isnt obvious that he is there.

yadamisha

Juniors
Second that

I agree. It is only sooky Manly supporters that are claiming it was a try when it obviously wasn't. Toovey is a tool, was as a player, worse as a trainer and as a coach a complete tosser.

Great CORRECT call by Henry on the no try. No wonder he is quickly moving up in the ranks of the referees.

Latest posts