What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Henry to leave Raiders at end of 2008

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
EXCLUSIVE

Canberra coach Neil Henry wants a release to take up a five-year deal to return to North Queensland.
Henry is set to stun Raiders officials by asking for a release from the final year of his contract, knocking back a deal to extend his stay in the nation's capital.
Asked about the development, Cowboys CEO Peter Parr remained tight-lipped. "I haven't commented on the coaching position for a while and I don't have any intention to now, mate," Parr told The Sun-Herald yesterday.
"I'm not going to confirm, deny or comment on the coaching position."
It's expected Henry will ask Canberra chief executive Don Furner for a release today, if he hadn't already done so after last night's match against St George Illawarra.
Should the Raiders stand firm and deny Henry's request, it's understood the Cowboys will elevate deputy Ian Millward into the top job to replace the departing Graham Murray at the end of the season.
The Cowboys are keen to have the matter resolved by the end of the week and Henry is expected to officially sign up in coming days.
It's understood Henry received an offer to extend his contract at the Raiders. However, he has told close friends and family he is disappointed with the deal, which is well below what the Cowboys are offering.
There is even a possibility Henry could join the Cowboys this season should he immediately part company with the Raiders.
Murray is under pressure to see out the year after a disastrous 0-3 start, including Friday night's meek surrender to Brisbane. Should that scenario unfold, Raiders assistant coach David Furner is expected to step into the breach at Canberra.
A move north will be a homecoming for Henry, who was the Cowboys' assistant coach from 2002-06.
After discussions with his family, he is keen to relocate to North Queensland, where he will reunite with star playmakers Johnathan Thurston and Matt Bowen.
The move means that Brisbane have missed out on one of their possible replacements for Wayne Bennett. Broncos boss Bruno Cullen interviewed Henry last week, but must now shift his focus to other candidates. Bennett, who was an early favourite for the Townsville post, remains the wildcard in the ongoing coaching merry-go-round.
Henry has achieved reasonable results with a modest Raiders roster and is regarded one of the better tacticians in the game. Queensland Origin players have lauded the 47-year-old's nous and game plans as a key ingredient in the past two series wins, in which he assisted head coach Mal Meninga.
In another turn in the coaching carousel, the Bulldogs will have to put a pen through one of their candidates to succeed Steve Folkes after Catalans coach Mick Potter signed a three-year deal to take over at St Helens during the week.
It won't be the last twist and turn. Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy is still Brisbane's first choice, but it remains to be seen if the Storm will release him from the final year of his contract.
The Bulldogs and Dragons are likely to cut adrift Folkes and Nathan Brown respectively, while Matthew Elliott is also under pressure to lift the Panthers off the bottom of the ladder.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/i-want-out-says-henry/2008/03/29/1206207497308.html

Walt Flanigan

Referee
No quote from Henry or the Club and Peter Parr says jack sh*t.

We had plenty of articles like this during the Carney saga saying that "sources" close to him were revealing that he was going to Manly. Then they'd change their mind and say Penrith. He signs with Canberra.

Load of crap IMO.

Spike

First Grade
I hope Henry can save his coaching career by taking up the deal with the Cowboys.

Karmawave

Bench
Very interesting.

Jouranlist wouldn't normally be so forthright in their article if it wasn't close to spot on. If it was speculation, it would be just one of those gossip things. Major article suggests it might be close to the mark.

Of course its all reliant on the Raiders releasing Henry. If they don't? It could get messy.

Karmawave

Bench
Also, what's the DT stand for in your thread headings 1EyedTezza?

You know leaguehq.com.au is not the Daily Tele right? Its Fairfax.

Timbo

Staff member
f**k....This is really bad.

I tend to agree with what was said above. This is a full page article in the SMH this morning, it doesn't seem like hearsay at all.

This is really bad for us. I'm ridiculously dissappointed, after the years we had to suffer with that clod Elliot, we finally get a coach who knows what he's doing, and he's ready for the door after less than two seasons?

If the article is accurate, then it appears YET AGAIN Raiders management has dropped the f**king ball and tried to pay bottom dollar and expect it to work for them. However at the same time, Henry was a bloody nobody when we signed him, but hey, what's loyalty worth in this day and age? Nothing, apparently.

I'm of the opinion that if he goes now, we're best off settling with him and showing him the door. Why will the players put their body on the line for a coach who doesn't want to be there? Better off having someone in charge who actually wants to be there, not thinking about how good it'll be to coach 'stars' like Thurston and Bowen next year.

Gah, with our luck, we'll probably re-sign Elliot when Penrith give him the arse in about two weeks...

Raider_69

Post Whore
as far as im concerned he is contracted till 09, he says he will honour that, he is a man of his word as far as i can tell... if he leaves, ill react then, until that point in time, which i dont believe will actually occur, business as usual, titans away

there were articles like this daily about how TC was definitely leaving canberra, and we saw how accurate the sydney media were on that one

looks like he wanted to stay in canberra but wanted more money from them.

if they make him honour the contract he will miss out on the cowboys job

The Informer

Juniors
Yes, the issue is the considerable difference in terms and length of offers. 5 yrs at Cowboys, at considerable more $ is the question, probable $500k difference. If the Raiders come to the party with something more sensible in length and $'s, which will probably happen this week he'll stay.

Spike

First Grade
They're saying that the Cowboys are expecting to announce Henry's appointment on Wednesday.

~knights~

Juniors
what does this mean with player contracts

some have get out clauses if a coach leaves

wonder about carneys?

Charlie124

First Grade
Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please be correct.

Please

although i do feel sorry for the Raiders if this does happen, after ridding themselves of the Elliot disease they have to find someone else again. I hear Murray is free

Raider_69

Post Whore
FTR i dont think he'll leave. BUT:

If he leaves canberra will do the same thing they did last time, they'll open the position for applicants, they'll pick the best candidate and they'll be better off... maybe not as good a coach but better off for having someone in the job who wants to be there

it will be a very f**king low act on Henry's behalf if he leaves, i will lose ALL respect for him. He says he is a man of his word, he says he is happy in canberra, he says he will see out his contract. If he dogs us, the club who gave him a start, he spoke so much during the TC debacle about loyalty to a club who gave him his start and supported him... where is you're loyalty Neil?

If its not there then i frankly he can piss off and not come back. We're a better club then that. We deserve better.

~knights~

Juniors
there was rumours before about him leaving
...about the time carney was re-signing

looks like they are true

badav

Bench
Timbo said:
If the article is accurate, then it appears YET AGAIN Raiders management has dropped the f**king ball and tried to pay bottom dollar and expect it to work for them. However at the same time, Henry was a bloody nobody when we signed him, but hey, what's loyalty worth in this day and age? Nothing, apparently.

Coaches don't really get shown any loyalty so its not unreasonable for them not to show any back.

Its all about whats the best opportunity at the time, and 5 years in North Queensland at higher pay would naturally seem like a better choice.

Paullyboy

Coach
If I could be bothered I'd write a fake media story as well and not include any facts or comments - but after seeing all the guarantees that Carney had signed with both Penrith and Manly I'm sort of sick of seeing them.

He'll probably leave eventually, but this article is nothing more than some clown taking a guess.

Stagger eel

Staff member
effnic said:
What is John Lang doing these days, i actually rated him as coach.

probably the best coach out of work at the moment and I also include Daniel Anderson with that call.