What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Henson Park upgrade.

boo_boo

Juniors
Just received the news that should Labour be re-elected then they will be funding a project with Marrickville Council to upgrade Henson Park.
This is great news as Henson is truely an iconic RL ground & should be preserved for both the Newtown club & the game in general.

silverfox

Juniors
thats really good news - why dont the jets dip into their pockets as well and use some of the $1m they earned from narallen properties deal. They use the ground more than anyone else. They can afford it cant they? This would surely secure the ground for them in the long term as most of the people in that area want it for green space and the jets could lose their privledges.

NZ Jet

Juniors
Fix up the Hill toilets, maybe a new scoreboard clock - and hey, it's just about perfect (except when it rains)

thats really good news - why dont the jets dip into their pockets as well and use some of the $1m they earned from narallen properties deal. They use the ground more than anyone else. They can afford it cant they? This would surely secure the ground for them in the long term as most of the people in that area want it for green space and the jets could lose their privledges.

For the same reason people don't renovate houses they are renting, it's not theirs.

stumped

Juniors
Fix up the Hill toilets, maybe a new scoreboard clock - and hey, it's just about perfect (except when it rains)
well i can inform you all that word is around the corridors that Henson Park will be utalised by a wider range of the community in the not too distant future, council is looking at making Henson more accessible to all types of sport within Marrickville council's boundary's and Newtown will not have a strangle hold on the ground.....

stumped

Juniors
SCG - Don Bradman TRUE
Redfern Oval - South Sydney Rabbitohs KINDA TRUE
Henson Park - Newtown Bluebags NOT AT ALL TRUE, Henson is a council ground, the council will sell out to who ever has the $$$$$ to lease the ground giving them the best return, so if the soccor, AFL or cricket come up with better offers the Jets might be playing out of Ersko!!

Mind you someone or thing has already put a spanner in the works with the Rock N Roll Markets, council are very upset at the contempt shown by the Jets

boo_boo

Juniors
Stumped, every time i think of the Newtown Bluebags / Jets i am always reminded of watching them play at Henson Park.
The place is a shrine to the Newtown Club & the game of Rugby League in general.
I dont want to get involved with the politics of the issue but this is how i want to remember the Bluebags.

Deadly

Juniors
Stumped, I take it you were too busy sitting in front of your computer all day today trying to author your next piece of dribble to be part of the 2,000+ strong crowd at Henson cheering the boys to another victory. The Jets are the biggest ticket in the Marrickville LGA and always will be regardless of who else does or doesn't utilise the ground in the future.

There is one certainty in this world, it's the ability of silverfox and stumped to take any good news about the Jets and turn it into a negative in their petty agenda against our club.

Last edited:
well i can inform you all that word is around the corridors that Henson Park will be utalised by a wider range of the community in the not too distant future, council is looking at making Henson more accessible to all types of sport within Marrickville council's boundary's and Newtown will not have a strangle hold on the ground.....

What corridors? Council trying to lease it out more?? Do you really think anyone pays more than the Jets for the ground at present and who do you suggest will pay more in the future?

Bluebag

Juniors
The AFL pay big dollars actually and rugby union on occassion have paid plenty to train on the ground as well

Last edited:

stumped

Juniors
Stumped, I take it you were too busy sitting in front of your computer all day today trying to author your next piece of dribble to be part of the 2,000+ strong crowd at Henson cheering the boys to another victory. The Jets are the biggest ticket in the Marrickville LGA and always will be regardless of who else does or doesn't utilise the ground in the future.
2000!!! please, there would have been 700 tops, and that was on the back of a double header, the Jets may have the highest profile of any team that are currently tenants at Henson, however the push is on for an AFL team to be based in or around Sydney with the backing of Andrew Demitiou and the wealth of funds the AFL has at its will, this is a plan so the GWS and the Swans can develop a junior base so to speak with Henson earmarked as a hub to develop up and comers

Deadly

Juniors
You're always full of half truths stumpy dick. There were way more than 700 at Henson yesterday and AFL NSW/ACT already use Henson in this capacity. From all reports Newtown and AFL NSW/ACT have a good working relationship with regards their co-tenancy at Henson Park and will continue working together for mutually beneficial outcomes in the future.

condochook

Juniors
their were 8796 fans at the game,if ya dont mind.
as for albanese,that left wing commie wouldnt give anyone the froth off his cappuccino.
newtwon will get nothing irrespective of who gets elected

Bluebag

Juniors
Condo,

If Labor is in government we will get the money, our local member arranged and delivered a 250K grant prior to the last election and this would be the same. we willl get it when we are returned I am still confidant. The Afl has a lot of pull with the local council and that is a concern, they pay up front and the Swans have a large number of fans from the inner west as well and council will follow the money trail to recover costs for a great local asset.

Yesterday was a large crowd, one of the largest I have seen for a few years but we need to get more kids attached and attracted to the royal blue. Henson crowds are at their best with more kids and we need to work closer to get our junilors down more often. If nor we risk heading in the same direction as Cricket Australia that neglected kids too much and are now suffering in terms of participants and support for the next generation.

Newtown cannot afford to look at the short term against long term developmet of crowds and members.

silverfox

Juniors
There is one certainty in this world, it's the ability of silverfox and stumped to take any good news about the Jets and turn it into a negative in their petty agenda against our club.

i just like to ask the questions which every fan asks of their club. why are the jets untouchable. They have made some very strange decisions which no one seems to care about. As a member i have the right to ask these questions just like you can but seem to bury your head in the sand.

I dont agree with stumped all the time but he seems to know what going on??

I agree with bluebag - get the kids more involved and why dont the jets get them on board. they have the money there to give to them so die hard - why dont they like the kids????

boo_boo

Juniors
I really hope Newtown can sort out any internal differences because it's the last thing that the club needs & to lose Henson Park would be a disgrace.
If Henson Park is lost then it will be a very sad day for the Newtown club & the game itself because it serves a purpose to the community that cant be replaced.
We need to support these suburban grounds so they dont suffer the same fate as Redfern Oval & become another ground that has been hijacked by it's Local Council just to vent their authority.

Latest posts