What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Herald Sun's 2009 Ashes Squad....

ronchi is ahead of crosthwaite at the moment
hartley is probably on the next line with crosthwaite
paine played 2 good innnings at the start of the summer and i havent heard about anything he has done since, so i think he is behind the lot of them

lockyno1

Post Whore
Hartley on par with Crosthwaithe, jeez what are you smoking. Hartley can bat, Crosthwaithe can't. That puts Hartley WELL in front of Crosthwaithe. Paine is the young keeper we want in our side. He could potentially bat top 4 or 5, and is a damn good keeper behind the stumps. Croswaithe can keep but can't bat. He is no chance, in a era where the keepers need to bat and bat WELL!

aussies1st

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
Crosthwaithe is bugger no chance, he is behind Paine, Ronchi, and Hartley. Peter Roebuck's team is better. I think Bailey will get the spinner's spot. IMO as much as I love Watson has anyone thought about White at 6 (2nd spinner/all-rounder), and Bailey at 8 as well. Plus you have Clarke to bowl his orthodox spinners.

White would be good at 6, there was actually a piece saying he should play in the last Ashes test if Symonds fails again. I wouldn't mind that and it also would be the passing of the barton from one Victorian leggie to the next.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
aussies1st said:
White would be good at 6, there was actually a piece saying he should play in the last Ashes test if Symonds fails again. I wouldn't mind that and it also would be the passing of the barton from one Victorian leggie to the next.
white couldn't do any worse than what symonds has done.

D

Deleted member 10972

Chris Hartley

First Class Batting - 30.83 (23 matches, 1 century, 6 fifties)
List A Batting - 19.87 (26 matches, 1 fifty)

Adam Crosthwaite

First Class Batting - 26.20 (17 matches, 1 fifty)
List A Batting - 18.13 (30 matches, 2 fifties)

Tim Paine

First Class Batting - 37.61 (8 matches, 1 century, 2 fifties)
List A Batting - 36.33 (15 matches, 1 century, 3 fifties)

Luke Ronchi

First Class Batting - 42.72 (13 matches, 1 century, 4 fifties [strike rate of 83!])
List A Batting - 22.04 (25 matches, 5 fifties [strike rate of 99!])

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all the keepers in line after Haddin. It seems the only State without a keeper who people rate is South Australia. Graham Manou & Shane Deitz...LOL.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
I reckon this would be a good side. (Age on June 1 2009 in brackets).

Rogers (31)
Jaques (30)
Ponting (34)
Hussey (34)
Clarke (28)
Watson (27)
Haddin (31)
Lee (32)
Clark (33)
Johnson (27)
Cullen (25)

Reserves:
North (29)
Thornely (30)
Paine (24)
Bailey (24)

Average age: 29

novacastrian_panther said:
I reckon this would be a good side. (Age on June 1 2009 in brackets).

Rogers (31)
Jaques (30)
Ponting (34)
Hussey (34)
Clarke (28)
Watson (27)
Haddin (31)
Lee (32)
Clark (32)
Johnson (27)
Cullen (25)

Reserves:
North (29)
Thornely (30)
Paine (24)
Bailey (24)

Average age: 29

good squad except they would take an extra pace bowler (ben hilfenhaus) rather than a 2nd spinner and cam white is now miles ahead of thornley

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Collingwood Storm said:
good squad except they would take an extra pace bowler (ben hilfenhaus) rather than a 2nd spinner and cam white is now miles ahead of thornley

If you prefer a batting all-rounder (which I do) you would choose Thornley who has a batting average of 46.19 and a bowling average of 61.43.
But if you want a bowling alrounded you would choose White with a batting average of 36.63 and a bowling average of 38.38.

twistedbydesign

Juniors
hineyrulz said:
well it looks like it's out of Paine and ronchi from them stats.

Bare in mind, however, that Paine has only kept wicket once in first class cricket, having replaced Sean Clingeleffer for Tassie's most recent shield game. Given Sean's form has been questionable at best with the bat for a couple of years now, whereas Tim has been selected for his batting ability alone, I think it is fair to say the Paine has some work to do before his keeping is anywhere near international standard. That said he looks to be a super talent and let's hope he makes the best of his opportunity with the gloves.

If you prefer a batting all-rounder (which I do) you would choose Thornley who has a batting average of 46.19 and a bowling average of 61.43.
But if you want a bowling alrounded you would choose White with a batting average of 36.63 and a bowling average of 38.38.

what White's batting average of 36 doesnt tell you is that he started his career batting no.8 and no.9 as a bowler...last year was the first time he moved into the top 6 and then in the county season just gone he batted no.3 and no.4 with great success and now again this year he bats no.5 in pura cup and no.3 or 4 in FRC

and the fact that he is only 23 and has excellent leadership qualities and is an excellent fielder for mine would have him ahead of thornley and im sure the selectors would think the same

edit:
these are whites stats from 1 season of county cricket in '06
Name Mat I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
CL White 12 22 2 1190 260* 59.50 81.45 5 3 6 -

06/07 pura cup
CL White 5 8 1 341 150* 48.71 50.97 1 2 4 -
05/06 pura cup
CL White 10 18 2 482 73 30.12 - 2 12 - VIC

hineyrulz

Post Whore
twistedbydesign said:
Bare in mind, however, that Paine has only kept wicket once in first class cricket, having replaced Sean Clingeleffer for Tassie's most recent shield game. Given Sean's form has been questionable at best with the bat for a couple of years now, whereas Tim has been selected for his batting ability alone, I think it is fair to say the Paine has some work to do before his keeping is anywhere near international standard. That said he looks to be a super talent and let's hope he makes the best of his opportunity with the gloves.
but i also said haddin is next cab of the rank, he's only 29 so he has at least 3-4 years left in him.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Collingwood Storm said:
these are whites stats from 1 season of county cricket in '06
Name Mat I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
CL White 12 22 2 1190 260* 59.50 81.45 5 3 6 -

06/07 pura cup
CL White 5 8 1 341 150* 48.71 50.97 1 2 4 -
05/06 pura cup
CL White 10 18 2 482 73 30.12 - 2 12 - VIC

what about the bowling stats?

what about the bowling stats?

white is easily better than thornley, if for no other reason than his age.

thornley's bowling is pretty ordinary and wouldnt really provide anything to the team that they need. At least with white he can be a decent second spinning option. He's not good enough to lead a spinning attack but i could see him taking around 100 to 150 wickets @ about 40 over his career. ( even mark waugh took 59 with his gentle off spinners) couple this with the fact that his batting is improving at a rapid rate he would be a great option for the no 6 spot in the future. A much better option than watson if we are going to be playing 3 fast bowlers.

Latest posts