What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heroic Burgess saves a man's life

Usain Bolt

Bench
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/sam...d/news-story/beec9df88e8170fd4ba166e6db054c4b

HIS heroic efforts in the 2014 helped deliver South Sydney a premiership but now Sam Burgess is a hero off the field after saving a man’s life on Friday.
The Rabbitohs squad were at the Sydney Fish Markets competing in an eating challenge as part of a team bonding session on a rainy day in Sydney.
According to a witness who asked not to be named, when a staff member from Decosti Seafood joined in on the action he began to choke and that’s when the backrower sprung into action.
“The Souths boys were at work doing a fish-eating challenge and then one of the managers got involved,” the witness told foxsports.com.au.
“They were eating and some seafood got caught in his throat and he started choking. Sam raced straight over and grabbed him and started putting his body weight on him to try and get it out.He was helping him for about 30 to 40 seconds and instead of spitting it out he ended up swallowing it, but if Sam hadn’t have helped it could have been bad. “I’m telling you Sam is a hero.”

Burgess rejoined the Rabbitohs earlier this month after marrying his partner during the off-season.
The Rabbitohs were at Decosti as part of a challenge day where they were split into small groups.
The witness said that when the staff member began to choke a number of players began to assist him but it was Burgess’ heroics that saved his life.

“He saved this life,” the witness said. “Another 30 seconds and it could have gone either way.
“All the guys were amazing. Taking photos with people. Michael Maguire was great and I’m a Manly fan but it’s important people know what a great thing Sam did.”
A South Sydney official confirmed an incident took place on Friday but declined to comment.
Incredibly it’s not the first time Burgess has saved someone from choking to death, as he performed the Heimlich Manoeuvre on a man struggling to swallow a sausage in England in 2007.
On that occasion, Burgess said he was inspired by a scene from the movie “Mrs Doubtfire”.
“That’s where I got the idea from. I remember seeing it done on the film and thought — Mrs Doubtfire,” he said at the time.
“I’ve never done first aid in my life or received any training but it was just natural instinct and the spur of the moment.
“He was really grateful afterwards and said we’d saved his life but I was just happy to help.”

Give him the Dally M now

nick87

Coach
Hahaha, this reminds me of so many Carney redemption story's over the years
Not that Burgess needs to be redeemed, although he did play Union

manstrokingchin.jpeg

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Was thinking Rusty might have choked on George's stalk and needed assistance. Should have known Rusty would know how to handle that!

Richo is happy for this story to get out then...

Perth Red

Post Whore
it’s not the first time Burgess has saved someone from choking to death, as he performed the Heimlich Manoeuvre on a man struggling to swallow a sausage in England

Ooh err Mrs

harrywilliams

Juniors
"I'm telling you, Sam is a hero"

It just sounds like a really overly cliche thing to say. I cringed the whole way reading this secret informant's splooge fest.

Another young Englishman, Joe Burgess, has done better. The new Rooster winger was resting with other players on a bush walk training run. Mitchell Pearce was sitting on a rock resting with Burgess and a couple of other players when Burgess saw out of the corner of his eye a scorpion making its way towards Pearce's leg. Without a moment's hesitation Burgess jumped up and stomped on the scorpion, just it was primed to bite Pearce.

Joe Burgess, the 21 year old speedster from Wigan, saved Pearce's life, and thereby the NSW Blues chances of winning State of Origin in 2016. It was a moment that he and Pearce will remember for ever.

Joe Burgess -- the first Burgess and the first Englishman to have saved Mitchell Pearce's life.

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
Another young Englishman, Joe Burgess, has done better. The new Rooster winger was resting with other players on a bush walk training run. Mitchell Pearce was sitting on a rock resting with Burgess and a couple of other players when Burgess saw out of the corner of his eye a scorpion making its way towards Pearce's leg. Without a moment's hesitation Burgess jumped up and stomped on the scorpion, just it was primed to bite Pearce.

Those scorpions have pretty big teeth.

DiegoNT

First Grade

Joe Burgess, the 21 year old speedster from Wigan, saved Pearce's life, and thereby the NSW Blues chances of winning State of Origin in 2016. It was a moment that he and Pearce will remember for ever.

Joe Burgess -- the first Burgess and the first Englishman to have saved Mitchell Pearce's life.

Can Joe Burgess somehow stop mitchell pearce from choking in Origin?

LESStar58

Referee
Let the puff pieces begin. This is worse than watching Freddie shamlessly flirt with Mummy Burgess on camera!

1. pulling someone out of a rip when you can't swim yourself
2. dodging a bullet by diverting a mug from bashing gasnier.

you cant' get more legendary than that

Jarryd Hayne is a stunning human being.

However in rugby league terms, what Joe Burgess did was more significant because of the rugby league status of Mitchell Pearce. Joe Burgess has been taken into the Pearce family, and may well turn out to be the second best winger in the NRL (behind only Semi Radradra).

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Jarryd Hayne is a stunning human being.

However in rugby league terms, what Joe Burgess did was more significant because of the rugby league status of Mitchell Pearce. Joe Burgess has been taken into the Pearce family, and may well turn out to be the second best winger in the NRL (behind only Semi Radradra).

You.... Don't watch much footy, do you?

Last edited:

Latest posts