What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hibernation

Misty Bee

First Grade
And do they care for the club when they let in 50? Are they hard toilers with hearts of gold that gather behind goalposts every few minutes?

I feel that you are implying that the only way to onfield success is to buy Phil Blake style mercinaries. Then please explain why the most capped Parra players were also members of eels premiership winning teams?

The greatest clubmen we had were Price, Cronin, Kenny, Sterling, Hilditch, Taylor et al. And bought big guns, like Peard, Beetson, Edge, Muggleton et al bled blue and gold when they were here. Peard, in particular, was a magician who turned the course of this club from a perennial underachiever into a major premiership force. No club ever got a better kicking game than what Peard gave Parra from 76 to 79.

Of the current mob,only Nathan Hindmarsh is fit to join that company. Jamie Lyon will be in a few years time. Smith? When he gets his finger out and fulfils the promise that everyone says he has!

Suitman

Post Whore
Firstly HJ,

I would like to correct you on one point.
I NEVER stuck the knife in ......as you claimed. Just said that we wouldn't make the semis. And I said that BEFORE the Melbourne debacle.

Secondly, we have finally resolved this debate. You desire to go to the footy and have a great time. If the boys give 100%, you are happy, win or loss. Thats fine by me.

But I desire more than just 100%. Sometimes it just isn't good enough.
Players need to give 120% to win some matches. Sadly though, too many of our earlier games this season saw them giving far less then that.
Remember ALL those soft tries against us from dummy half?

If the team HAD given 100% ALL year and ended up in the same position, you wouldn't have heard Boo from me. But those pathetic efforts for the first 16 or so matches were too hard to erase from my memory.

If you think they were giving 100% then, I pity you.

If we lose, and I know we have given it our absolute best shot, I will go home happy.
I don't remember going home happy from too many games during the first half of the season.

Suitman

Misty Bee said:
The greatest clubmen we had were Price, Cronin, Kenny, Sterling, Hilditch, Taylor et al. And bought big guns, like Peard, Beetson, Edge, Muggleton et al bled blue and gold when they were here.
U need to realise that this is not the 70s and 80s, it is a different game where money rules and Clubmanship is almost dead. If Ian can leave Parra then anyone can leave any team, and thegame is full of mercenaries.

A few good heads like Menzies remain, but mostly it's a 2 or 3 year de3al followed by a price hike or I'm going elsewhere mentality. There will be no more Cronins and Brett Kenny's, because a $500k cheque that means a nice big house and a fast sports car will take anyone anywhere. the only way a Club will keep a champion player nowadays is if they maintain a strong financial position so they can continue to upgrade his contract every 3 years.

Do you think Nathan or Jamie would take a significant pay-cut to stay at the Club when the Roosters or Canterbury offer them double that (and obviously more under the table, hehe)? I certainly hope they would, and I would love them for it if they did, but I wouldn't be confident in it no matter how much they love the Club. There was no one "more Parramatta" than Ian only 12 months ago, yet now he plays in Green in the nation's capital because a nice big fat cheque took him there.

Misty Bee

First Grade
What tripe! Players are no more mercenary nowdays than they were back then. Sterlo considered seriousl and offer from manly in '82, so did Kenny and Ella. Ray Price talked them out of it in a now famous line:- "You don't want to be playing against me!"

As a comparison, let's compare the 2003 quad of 17 v NZ to the 1980 squad of 19 v NZ.

The 2003 squad:
Darren Lockyer (Broncos), Anthony Minichiello (Roosters), Brent Tate (Broncos), Jamie Lyon (Eels), Matt Sing (Cowboys), Shaun Timmins (Dragons), Andrew Johns, captain (Knights), Shane Webcke (Broncos), Danny Buderus (Knights), Luke Bailey (Dragons), Gorden Tallis (Broncos), Dane Carlaw (Broncos), Luke Ricketson (Roosters). Subs: Craig Wing (Roosters), Willie Mason (Bulldogs), Petero Civoniceva (Broncos), Bryan Fletcher (Rabbitohs).

Of those, 4 (Sing, Tallis, Wing and Fletcher) have played for more than 1 club. The other 13 (or 75.3%) are one club men.

The 1980 squad
Chris Anderson, Kerry Boustead, Les Boyd, Greg Brentnall, Chris Close, Michael Cronin, Garry Dowling, Rohan Hancock, John Lang, Jim Leis, Steve Martin, Rod Morris, George Peponis, Graham Quinn, Tom Raudonikis, Red Reddy, Alan Thompson, Graeme Wynn, Craig Young

Of those, 9 (Boustead, Boyd, Dowling, Lang, Leis, Martin, Morris, Quinn, Raudonikis) played for more than 1 club. Only 10, or 54%, were one club men.

Back then big names moved more often. Except at Parra :(

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Misty Bee said:
What tripe! Players are no more mercenary nowdays than they were back then. Sterlo considered seriousl and offer from manly in '82, so did Kenny and Ella. Ray Price talked them out of it in a now famous line:- "You don't want to be playing against me!"

As a comparison, let's compare the 2003 quad of 17 v NZ to the 1980 squad of 19 v NZ.

The 2003 squad:
Darren Lockyer (Broncos), Anthony Minichiello (Roosters), Brent Tate (Broncos), Jamie Lyon (Eels), Matt Sing (Cowboys), Shaun Timmins (Dragons), Andrew Johns, captain (Knights), Shane Webcke (Broncos), Danny Buderus (Knights), Luke Bailey (Dragons), Gorden Tallis (Broncos), Dane Carlaw (Broncos), Luke Ricketson (Roosters). Subs: Craig Wing (Roosters), Willie Mason (Bulldogs), Petero Civoniceva (Broncos), Bryan Fletcher (Rabbitohs).

Of those, 4 (Sing, Tallis, Wing and Fletcher) have played for more than 1 club. The other 13 (or 75.3%) are one club men.

The 1980 squad
Chris Anderson, Kerry Boustead, Les Boyd, Greg Brentnall, Chris Close, Michael Cronin, Garry Dowling, Rohan Hancock, John Lang, Jim Leis, Steve Martin, Rod Morris, George Peponis, Graham Quinn, Tom Raudonikis, Red Reddy, Alan Thompson, Graeme Wynn, Craig Young

Of those, 9 (Boustead, Boyd, Dowling, Lang, Leis, Martin, Morris, Quinn, Raudonikis) played for more than 1 club. Only 10, or 54%, were one club men.

Back then big names moved more often. Except at Parra :(

I agree Misty.......just ask Wests if any big names left them in the late 70's to early 80's!!!!