What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Intensity Interval Training

Cliffhanger

Coach
Haha and you feel like crap for the first ten minutes after, and usually the final five or ten minutes of it. I threw up yesterday after HIIT Burpees.

The Major

Bench
Great thread guys. Im doing my PT's course at the moment and was enlightened to HIIT training and all its benefits. Ive been involved with this type of training over the years as part of footy pre season as well as during kickboxing/muay thai fight training. The exception being, until recently, there was no real knowledge of the HIIT concept. Youd do stuff for example like say 3 minute rounds as fast and as hard as you can with 30 seconds rest on the pads, then move on to doing the same skipping, then onto the heavy bag etc. The benefits are phenomonal. Especially for fat loss. You well and truely find yourself during some of the more soul searching workouts.
Ive in recent weeks began working some of my outdoor classes with HIIT principals. I explained to the group what its all about and how out of a 15-30 minute workout they'll gain more from it physically and so on then from doing a massively long low - mid intensity workout much to their bemusement. Low and behold at the completion of only 1 round of the exercises they threw in the towel. Vomit was to be the next option. I love it!
Question, does anyone know of a place where i can get cheap tyres for training with. Preferably the big tractor types? Im also planning on bringing in those battling ropes too. Has anyone seen them? A great workout and you can do a whole session of HIIT with them. You tube battling ropes and youll see some great training ideas.

Cliffhanger

Coach
About to do my weights session, followed directly by tabatas with 5 different workouts (so tabatas for a total of 20 mins.

I give myself 1 minute for each set during my weights workouts, and whatever's left over is rest. So 40 minutes of weights followed by 20 minutes of tabatas. Wish me luck.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I thought you stopped the weights Cliffy

Careful with your rest times if you're going heavy. Not allowing enough rest for your muscles to recover can actually see you lose strength

Cliffhanger

Coach
I'm finding it hard to give up weights, but I have went from 10 workouts to eight, and it's just thrusts, dumbbell overhead press, core rows, wrist curls, dumbbell bench press, dumbell decline bench press, dumbbell incline bench press, tricep extensions.

My dumbells are only 8.5 kg except for the one I use for wrist curls and tricep extensions, that one's only 6kg, I use a bar for thrusts only and that's only 23 kg.

It requires effort but not a vigorous effort. I only managed to do three tabata workouts. Dide 8 count body builders, this workout where you go into plank, from plank in to classic pushup position, then back into plank, then into a close hand pushup position, then back into plank (great burining feeling in the abs) and finished of with some mountain climbers.

So 12 minutes.

I have a reasonable level of fitness. Hadn't been training but have been playing oztag and indoor. Recently started running on the treadmill at the gym and can manage 5 k in around 40 mins 2nd week in so felt I was going reasonably well. Thought I'd give this a try as we used to do this for footy training many years ago. Holy Crap! I got through 3 cycles and was wrecked. 4 was a very slow jog. Show's I'm a mile behind where I thought I was and much much further back from where I want to be.

Bizump.

Had a sick rowing session yesterday, did this without stoppage:
30s slow
30s sprint
30s slow
45s sprint
30s slow
60s sprint
30s slow
45s sprint
30s slow
30s sprint

For 3 sets (about 3 minutes rest between them).

Slow was 30 strokes per min, "sprint" was capped at 40 as to not risk aggrevating my hammy, so not quite a full sprint.

Each set I covered about 1.6km in 6 minutes. When I'm confident with my hammy I wanna do my first 2k erg. I reckon 6:30 is a possibilty for me with a more consistent pace, not after doing weights (did weights before this including 5x5 chin ups working up to BW+20kg, about 125kg total \\\\:D/) and leaving everything on the rower. That's the goal anyway for me as a ex-rower mate ov mine said his best time was 6:30 and I'm a competitive bastard.

Last edited:

Latest posts