What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Intensity Interval Training

Thomas

First Grade
2 hours ov HIIT shouldn't really be possible if you're doing it right. 15-30mins I'd say, depending on what you're doing.

Spot on. If you are doing 2 hours of HIIT then you are doing it wrong.

It is maximum effort stuff. I do a lot of cycle HIIT. 30 seconds at max effort with 30 seconds of rest. 10 sets.

If you don't feel like vomiting after that then you aren't pushing yourself. I generally don't mix up my weights session with HIIT. I find I have no energy left.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Hmm I haven't tried two hours yet, but I generally find I recover fairly quickly.

As I said the core rows and mountain climbers HIIT destroyed me, it's just the skipping which didn't do much. Maybe I have to do it harder,

I think it's a mindset thing, my mind just won't accept that I can spend that little time training and achieve better results than I have been with such a long work load.

Johns Magic

Referee
I'm guessing stair runs would be acceptable for HIIT?

There is an epic staircase at the park about 5 minutes walk from me...we used to run them for pre-season training in footy and you'd get blokes throwing up.

Would seem like my most convenient HIIT option.

Thomas

First Grade
Stair runs are another evil all together.

HIIT is such a broad concept. As long as you are doing intervals of anything to maximum effort, then you are doing HIIT.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Hmm I haven't tried two hours yet, but I generally find I recover fairly quickly.

As I said the core rows and mountain climbers HIIT destroyed me, it's just the skipping which didn't do much. Maybe I have to do it harder,

I think it's a mindset thing, my mind just won't accept that I can spend that little time training and achieve better results than I have been with such a long work load.

Have you tried doing double-unders instead of normal skipping? This is where you jump up higher and pass the rope under you twice.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Nope I'll try that next time, I think the core rows and mountain climbers are super effective though, I end up screaming during each rep by the 7th set. KILLER, but awesome.

Also when I went for a normal run tonight it actually felt much easier.

Red Bear

Referee
The disappointing thing is long runs don't actually improve your fitness, the only reason your running ability and endurance appear to improve the more you run is because your body has figured out how to get rid of unnecessary movements and stops engaging muscles which are not needed, this results in you being able to go for longer because your body is able to do more with less and thus you won't get as tired.

What's worse is you are far more susceptible to injury when running than when doing most other exercise.
So running long distances is still very much vital to being able to run long distances, because it helps you get in a better rhythm and be able to run these long distances.

Ideally you combine the two, interval training and long distance running. Have your long runs on the weekend, some shorter ones during the week as well as a day or two of, say 400's.

Other options include fartlek training (lift the intensity for streches during your run, essentially).

I should try and get some interval stuff going if I can ever get my leg back to its former glory, especially with no cricket this summer and all the spare time i'll now have

Cletus

First Grade
Nope I'll try that next time, I think the core rows and mountain climbers are super effective though, I end up screaming during each rep by the 7th set. KILLER, but awesome.

Also when I went for a normal run tonight it actually felt much easier.

What are core rows? Totally unrelated I've started doing indoor climbing and my lower biceps are killing me, is it just my bad technique or is that normal?

Cliffhanger

Coach
What are core rows? Totally unrelated I've started doing indoor climbing and my lower biceps are killing me, is it just my bad technique or is that normal?

Biceps definitely should not be hurting when you're climbing, I mean fore arms, triceps, shoulders would make sense, but you shouldn't be engaging your biceps.

You're probably using your arms to pull yourself a lot up, which is something you don't want to be doing when you're climbing, you definitely should never feel like you need to when you're starting out, you need to work on getting your feet higher and using your body more, this way there's less pressure on your arms and you are able to reach things easier.

Cletus

First Grade
Biceps definitely should not be hurting when you're climbing, I mean fore arms, triceps, shoulders would make sense, but you shouldn't be engaging your biceps.

You're probably using your arms to pull yourself a lot up, which is something you don't want to be doing when you're climbing, you definitely should never feel like you need to when you're starting out, you need to work on getting your feet higher and using your body more, this way there's less pressure on your arms and you are able to reach things easier.

Yeah I'm definately using my arms too much when the wall is angled out and with overhangs. I think part of the problem is I'm pulling my body into the wall when I'm moving my feet up. I need to buy my own shoes though because the hire ones are crap and don't have enough grip. It's great fun though and surprising intense exercise.

Joker's Wild

Coach
They're the best, I found that they were easier to do when you're holding the weights vertically than horizontally.

Does anybody else find it easier to do with one arm than the other?

I havnt done these before so Im gonna add them to my session this afternoon

Cliffhanger

Coach
Yeah I'm definately using my arms too much when the wall is angled out and with overhangs. I think part of the problem is I'm pulling my body into the wall when I'm moving my feet up. I need to buy my own shoes though because the hire ones are crap and don't have enough grip. It's great fun though and surprising intense exercise.

Yeah you definitely need to use your feet more on the steeper walls, and you want to have a a straight arm, pulling your body up to the wall just pumps you up quicker.

Yeah getting your own shoes would be a good idea. Just don't buy a too basic one, you want them to be at least a little aggressive just so you have a better edge and toe.

My first shoe was a scarpa thunder, and my second was evolv bandits, the scarpa thunders were extremely basic, but did the job when I was learning, they were useless for bouldering though. The evolv bandits were the worst though, terrible for bouldering, fairly weak and the heel and toes made them terrible for bouldering. First technical shoe I got was the la sportiva miura, this was after about six months of climbing 3 times a week. They are an amazing all round shoe. Depending on how you're developing you may want to look into them.

Cletus

First Grade
Thanks Cliffhanger I'll see how they go. I'm not sure what size I am though so I'll probably buy them instoor somewhere. I'll try some of the core rows tommorow as well:D.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Damn you Cliffy, those core rows are killers

I added a new exercise to my session tonight too. I filled a wheelbarrow up with 50kgs of weights and did 10x hill climbs up my street, pushing the barrow at full tilt. I was this close to spewing my guts up

Cliffhanger

Coach
Lol they get easier, trust me.

Tried burpee HIIT today, the only one HIIT session I did it smashed me so bad, I was screaming after each rep by the sixth set. My legs are so f**ked now.

Damn you Cliffy, those core rows are killers

I added a new exercise to my session tonight too. I filled a wheelbarrow up with 50kgs of weights and did 10x hill climbs up my street, pushing the barrow at full tilt. I was this close to spewing my guts up

Sounds mean. You must've looked like a dick though to the neighbours :lol:

Joker's Wild

Coach
lol yeah it would have looked pretty funny but my neighbours are pretty used to my weird workouts. I get bored easily so I have to get creative with the stuff in my garage.

Always finish off my cardio/conditioning sessions with 6 30/30 intervals on the rower, 30 seconds flat out rowing (aiming to row 150m in 30s) rest for 30s, repeated 6 times, by the last interval im struggling to hit 140m

Did this today, at the start ov my workout though. Did 10 sets totalling 1778m, hardly dropped off at all distance wise per sprint but the effort I had to put in went up a lot, especially after the 7-8th one. I'll do it at the back end next time.

Latest posts